good cycling backpacks?

Old August 26th 04, 03:37 PM
Janaki L Jitchotvisut

mark wrote:

Instead of a backpack, you might want to consider a courier bag. I find
that they sit lower on my body than a backpack, they don't constrict my
breathing as much as a backpack, and they are distinctly more comfortable
than a backpack in my own riding position. Mine rides on the back of my
hipbone when I ride, reducing sweaty back to a manageable level, and putting
less strain on my back muscles.

Patagonia makes several really nice models, the Critical Mass has ample room
for books, a laptop, extra clothing, etc., along with a water bottle pocket
on the outside. It has an excellent suspension

If the Critical Mass isn't big enough for you, there are a couple of
Canadian companies selling bags for bicycle couriers on the web. "Push The
EnVELOpe" and PAC Designs are two that I know of, they both make extremely
rugged bags that are big enough to hold a small child.

www.pushtheenvelope.com
www.pacdesigns.com
www.patagonia.com

HTH,

I might look into those, but in general, I find I'm more
comfortable and the weight is distrubuted better on my back being situated
across both shoulders rather than just one. That's the main reason I'm
not overly keen on a standard messenger bag, although I was looking into
those as well. Because I'm going to have to carry textbooks, though, I
think I'll still stick with backpacks. Thanks for the info and the links,
though---those do look quite superb if one is going to go the courier
bag route!

Collin wrote:

If you go the courier bag route, I really like my Timbuktu messenger
bag. They come in fours sizes, and believe me, you do not need the big
one! I handle the laptop problem by placing the computer in a laptop
sleeve. However, since you have textbooks I would not really recommend
the courier bag. Backpacks hold everything together quite well and
prevent the contents from shifting. The advantage to the messnger bag
is just what makes it bad for textbooks: it's just one big pocket where
you can shove everything.

Heh, I think I've seen people with some of those as well, although
usually not on bikes. As I haven't looked into those too greatly, I can't
say for sure what sizes I've personally seen. I'm probably not going to
go with a courier bag for exactly the reasons you mention above; it'd just
be too much and really bad on my back when I'm carrying textbooks
around. And I shudder to think what would happen on my trips to the
library. Thanks for the kind advice, though!

Old August 26th 04, 03:47 PM
Janaki L Jitchotvisut

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Mike Schwab wrote:

I am considering getting panniers for my EZ-1 from
http://www.easyracers.com/ez_1_sc.htm and is has 16 and 20 inch wheels.
These might be the right size for your bike. Should you find a dealer
who sells the bike and would order the panniers and let you try them
that would be excellent.

Hrrm, I'll have to check that out. Thanks muchly for the link and
the info! They may not be big enough for what I need, though...but
thanks, I didn't know about these.

Also, you might try talking to "Robert J. Matter" rjmatter @
PRODIGY.NET at Daley Plaza on the last friday of the month between
530pm and 600pm. He owns two folding bikes, and is president(?) of the
Chicago Folding Bike Society which meets twice a month at the Handlebar
(owned by bicyclists who met at group rides) at 2311(?) W North.
Bearded and likes yellow shirts for visibility. (Yellow shirt not
guaranteed). He is also leading efforts to allow bicycles on Metra and
to depave LSD Lake Shore Drive.

Then at 600pm, a group ride will start. With the thunderstorns in the
area, I would expect a small number of cyclists, under 1,000. When I
went April 30, it was raining and that was about how many we had.

Where does the group usually ride to, and how long do these
rides last? I don't know that I'll really be able to make it---I live
rather far away, which is part of the reason I decided I'd had enough with
depending on the unreliable CTA, plus my hours changed at work, and I
really did want to stop getting home at 8:30/9PM every night after leaving
work around 5. My folding bike has cut my overlong commute down
considerably (now it's only 2 hours each way; to some people, that
probably seems a lot anyway, but it's much better than 2.5 hours each
way!), in addition to providing excellent exercise and overall being
something I'm really enjoying, and it would be cool to meet up, but I just
don't know about doing it on a Friday after work, since I live so far
away. If I lived in the city, or closer to it, I'd probably be up for it,
though!

I heard something recently from another person at work who cycles
about 16 miles to and from work each day, who was telling me Metra's one
of the only public transit lines in the US that doesn't allow full-sized
bikes on. He said that even the public transit system in LA allows
them. If they did, I'd have been taking my bike to work long before
obtaining a folding one---while I do enjoy my folding bike, and it's nice
to be able to stash it under my desk and take it with me wherever I go,
I'd never have *needed* to get one if standard bikes were allowed on
Metra. At the same time, they'd have to have some sort of redesign to the
cars to allow standard bikes on---there's really not anywhere good to put
one with the way those trains are laid out internally at present, save for
where handicapped persons are meant to be able to sit, but of course that
shouldn't be compromised, either.

Old August 26th 04, 03:51 PM
Janaki L Jitchotvisut

On 25 Aug 2004, David Reuteler wrote:

Colin Swift wrote:
Got the Deuter racer x air II myself

second that. i gave mine to my sister but it's an excellent backpack,
definitely best in class.

Thanks for the input! Have either of you had occasion to use it
in heavy precipitation? I was leaning a bit more toward the Deuter ones
because I really like what I'm reading/seeing about their suspension (I'm
trying to locate a dealer around here so I can go try their bags on in
person; unfortunately, I can say that REI does not stock them in their
stores, only via their online one :P), and the way the bags are laid out
seems quite thoughtful, and the hydration system seems nice as
well. Hydration system won't make or break a bag for me, but it's a good
option to consider, as I'm quite sure I'd use it---I already carry around
my Polar Bottle filled with ice water at all times, and refill it several
times a day while at work. The only thing that concerns me as a commuter
about the Deuter is the efficacy of the rain cover, which is where the
Ortlieb ones look most attractive in their waterproofness.

Old August 26th 04, 05:46 PM
DRS

"Colin Swift" wrote in message

Hi,

Got the Deuter racer x air II

I don't see that model on Deuter's web site.

http://www.deuter.com

--

A: Top-posters.

Old August 26th 04, 05:59 PM
David Reuteler

Janaki L Jitchotvisut wrote:
Thanks for the input! Have either of you had occasion to use it
in heavy precipitation?

mine had a waterproof cover that packed away into a little pocket .. it
worked reasonably well.

I was leaning a bit more toward the Deuter ones
because I really like what I'm reading/seeing about their suspension

the suspension makes that bag imo the best backpack out there. it really
does work pretty well.

times a day while at work. The only thing that concerns me as a commuter
about the Deuter is the efficacy of the rain cover, which is where the
Ortlieb ones look most attractive in their waterproofness.

yea, i'm sure the ortlieb would be better in the rain .. but the deuter was
good enuf for me (i was in minneapolis, tho, not portland) and, well, i
*REALLY* liked the suspension.

did i mention the suspension?
--
david reuteler

Old August 26th 04, 06:12 PM
David Reuteler

DRS wrote:
Got the Deuter racer x air II

I don't see that model on Deuter's web site.

http://www.deuter.com

products - bike - next (to 2/4) - upper right Race X Air II

http://tinyurl.com/6oy4l

i had the 2001 version of the Race X Air.
--
david reuteler

Old August 26th 04, 06:19 PM
DRS

"David Reuteler" wrote in message

DRS wrote:
Got the Deuter racer x air II

I don't see that model on Deuter's web site.

http://www.deuter.com

products - bike - next (to 2/4) - upper right Race X Air II

http://tinyurl.com/6oy4l

i had the 2001 version of the Race X Air.

Aargh! Thank you, I'd completely missed the "next" graphic.

Now, when it says it's compatible with Deuter's hydration system does that
just mean you can buy the appropriate bladder and whack it in? Does it
leave room for anything else?

--

A: Top-posters.

Old August 26th 04, 06:30 PM
David Reuteler

DRS wrote:
Now, when it says it's compatible with Deuter's hydration system does that
just mean you can buy the appropriate bladder and whack it in? Does it
leave room for anything else?

i'm speaking for my old deuter race x air. the main compartment had a sleeve
in the back where the bladder slid in along with routing for the tube. it
didn't leave a whole lot of room for anything else (when filled with water)
but it was a pretty small backpack to begin with. i stuffed in a change of
clothes, discman, food and some tools. the front pocket of course was still
there.

the size was the main reason i got rid of it, actually. i use a chrome
bag metropolis messenger bag now which is a fair bit more durable and
waterproof than the deuter (hell, the thing is a damn tank) but i do miss
the suspension.
--
david reuteler

Old August 26th 04, 06:33 PM
Janaki L Jitchotvisut

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, DRS wrote:

"Colin Swift" wrote in message

Hi,

Got the Deuter racer x air II

I don't see that model on Deuter's web site.

http://www.deuter.com

it's right he

http://deuterusa.com/Product/Hydration/RXA2.htm

Old August 26th 04, 06:42 PM
Janaki L Jitchotvisut

On 26 Aug 2004, David Reuteler wrote:

mine had a waterproof cover that packed away into a little pocket .. it
worked reasonably well.

I've read about those a bit, but did want to hear of personal
experiences with them. Thanks.

I was leaning a bit more toward the Deuter ones
because I really like what I'm reading/seeing about their suspension

the suspension makes that bag imo the best backpack out there. it really
does work pretty well.

I'm glad to hear it's as good as it looks, then---and ventilation
for your back was good, too?

I've found a store around here that carries Deuter packs, although
not what I've been most interested in. Still, I want to go try a few on
and see what this suspension is all about in person!

http://www.uncledansonline.com/

times a day while at work. The only thing that concerns me as a commuter
about the Deuter is the efficacy of the rain cover, which is where the
Ortlieb ones look most attractive in their waterproofness.

yea, i'm sure the ortlieb would be better in the rain .. but the deuter was
good enuf for me (i was in minneapolis, tho, not portland) and, well, i
*REALLY* liked the suspension.

I'm in Chicago (which I think I mentioned), which also isn't
Portland---actually, I've got a quite nice ShedRain umbrella (developed in
Oregon! ) that is unbelievable, but I'm sure it's not nearly getting
the sort of workout that went into its development. Still, nothing's much
use when it's raining horizontally. The raincover might be enough, with
that suspension...

did i mention the suspension?

Suspension? What's that?

Quite seriously, I think I've narrowed it down sufficiently and am
now between the Deuter Trans Alpine 30 and the Ortlieb X-Cursion

http://deuterusa.com/Product/Hydrati...nsAlpine30.htm

or

http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/...p?pid=17&cid=2

(Also I've found that Ortlieb quite a bit cheaper elsewhere, so
it's more in line with the price of the Deuter.)

I'm leaning more towards the Deuter now, though, I have to say...

published helmet research - not troll Frank Krygowski Social Issues 1716 October 24th 04 06:39 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Cycling in Paris Part 2 wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX UK 0 September 4th 03 09:57 PM