New bike!

Old August 25th 04, 11:42 PM
the black rose

Default New bike!

I rode it. It disappeared out from under me. I fell in love.

I gots me a new bike. YAAAAAAY!

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/c...del-4RR1Y.html

One note: the shifters/brake levers are Record, not Centaur. They said
it wasn't supposed to come that way, but it did. For the same price.

I replaced the men's saddle it had for a Terry Butterfly (the nicer
model with titanium rails).

If I replaced the suspension seatpost and the adjustable stem with
lighter counterparts, I could get it down to about 18 lbs. As it is,
it's just over 19 lbs.

I've never had a bike that fit me like this. It is SO sweet. I am
really, really liking this.

It will take me a bit to get used to the twitchier handling (as opposed
to my C'dale M300). And this is the first I've experienced with
clipless pedals; so far, I'm having more trouble clicking in than
clicking out, but I'd rather it be that way than the other way around --
slow down ... twist twist twist CLUNK.

:-D

Definitely a happy camper today.

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie
Old August 26th 04, 02:11 AM
Raoul Duke

"the black rose" wrote in message

Definitely a happy camper today.

-km

Congrats. I recently bought both a new bike and a new car. I'm much more
excited about the new bike.

Ride the hell out of it.

Dave

Old August 26th 04, 05:00 AM
Jeff Starr

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:42:50 GMT, the black rose
wrote:

[...]

Hey, Congratulations!!!

It is a very nice bike and well equiped. I just put a set of Conti
Ultra Gatorskins on my LeMond. I think they are really good tires.

I would get rid of the suspension seatpost, but not worry about the
stem, unless it makes noise.

I'll bet you'll be racking up the miles now. Have fun!

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old August 26th 04, 05:09 AM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:42:50 GMT,
, the black rose
wrote:

I rode it. It disappeared out from under me. I fell in love.

I gots me a new bike. YAAAAAAY!

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/c...del-4RR1Y.html

One note: the shifters/brake levers are Record, not Centaur. They said
it wasn't supposed to come that way, but it did. For the same price.

Excellent. You were wise to not complain!

I replaced the men's saddle it had for a Terry Butterfly (the nicer
model with titanium rails).

Considering the different riding positions, I hope it works as well
for you on this bike as it does for your 'winter' bike.

If I replaced the suspension seatpost and the adjustable stem with
lighter counterparts, I could get it down to about 18 lbs. As it is,
it's just over 19 lbs.

After you figure out where you want your stem, you seldom adjust it.
If you don't like the suspension post you can replace it.
What pedals did you get?

I've never had a bike that fit me like this. It is SO sweet. I am
really, really liking this.

I noticed the page says P,S,M,L,XL for sizes. The page with the
geometry and measurements doesn't list the "P" size which I'm assuming
means "petite". Is that what you got?
--
zk
Old August 26th 04, 01:54 PM
Beverly

"the black rose" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Nice looking bike! Congratulations.

I bought a new one earlier this season and it also was my first experience
with clipless pedals. It doesn't take too long to get familiar with them.
Everyone said I would eventually stop and forget to unclip and it finally
happened. Thankfully I was on grass and had a soft landing and there was
only one other person to witness it If I can use them anyone can!

Let me know how you like the Terry Butterfly. I have the Liberator and have
been thinking about putting it on another bike and buying a Butterfly for
the new one.

Enjoy the new bike.

Beverly

Old August 26th 04, 04:48 PM
the black rose

Zoot Katz wrote:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:42:50 GMT,
, the black rose
wrote:
I replaced the men's saddle it had for a Terry Butterfly (the nicer
model with titanium rails).

Considering the different riding positions, I hope it works as well
for you on this bike as it does for your 'winter' bike.

Better, actually. The one on my hybrid is the cheaper Butterfly with, I
dunno, vinyl seat cover? It works well on the hybrid despite being
designed for a more laid-out riding position. I've got the Butterfly Ti
on the new bike, titanium rails and leather seat cover, and it's
amazingly comfortable.

If I replaced the suspension seatpost and the adjustable stem with
lighter counterparts, I could get it down to about 18 lbs. As it is,
it's just over 19 lbs.

After you figure out where you want your stem, you seldom adjust it.
If you don't like the suspension post you can replace it.
What pedals did you get?

SPD. And Diadora shoes to go with. The shoes fit like gloves, very
comfortable. I'm still getting used to the pedals. And I have to
admit, the suspension post makes for a cushier ride. I'm not so sure
I'll replace it.

I've never had a bike that fit me like this. It is SO sweet. I am
really, really liking this.

I noticed the page says P,S,M,L,XL for sizes. The page with the
geometry and measurements doesn't list the "P" size which I'm assuming
means "petite". Is that what you got?

Yup. I dunno why they don't list P on the geometry page (annoying).
It's about like a 47 cm frame, which is about the biggest I can safely
ride, depending on the bike. And it's got braze-ons for a rear rack,
which makes light touring doable.

Another bonus is the 700C wheels -- many many bikes with frame sizes
under 50 cm come with 650C wheels to avoid toe-clip overlap, so this was
a happy surprise.

I'm actually not going to get to ride it much until next week -- we're
going out of town tomorrow to visit old friends, and today is too busy
with all the errands that need running. *sigh*

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie
Old August 26th 04, 05:02 PM
the black rose

Beverly wrote:
I bought a new one earlier this season and it also was my first experience
with clipless pedals. It doesn't take too long to get familiar with them.
Everyone said I would eventually stop and forget to unclip and it finally
happened. Thankfully I was on grass and had a soft landing and there was
only one other person to witness it

Thanks, I'll see if I can at least be on grass when I forget, hehe. For
my last tumble, I had the dubious honor of performing in front of an
entire intersection of stopped vehicles. In retrospect, I should have
bowed when I got up.

Let me know how you like the Terry Butterfly. I have the Liberator and have
been thinking about putting it on another bike and buying a Butterfly for
the new one.

I like it a lot. It's acceptably comfortable on the hybrid and dreamy
on the new bike.

FWIW, he's sold them to about 10 or 11 women recently, and all but 2
loved it. So I'd say that if your personal geometry is like the
majority of women, you'll get along with the Butterfly. In this area,
the Butterfly Ti is about $100 and the less expensive one is about $60.

Enjoy the new bike.

Thanks, and same to you with yours. If you try the Butterfly, please
let me know how it worked out for you. And if your LBS knows you, see
if they'll let you borrow a Butterfly for a day to test ride it (my LBS
does that with people they know). How's the Liberator? I'd have gotten
that one for the hybrid if there had been any in stock.

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie
Old August 26th 04, 07:33 PM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:48:38 GMT,
, the black rose
wrote:

Considering the different riding positions, I hope it works as well
for you on this bike as it does for your 'winter' bike.

Better, actually. The one on my hybrid is the cheaper Butterfly with, I
dunno, vinyl seat cover? It works well on the hybrid despite being
designed for a more laid-out riding position. I've got the Butterfly Ti
on the new bike, titanium rails and leather seat cover, and it's
amazingly comfortable.

I wish I could be as passionate about my Terry mens' saddle. It's
pretty with a white leather cover and titanium rails. It reminds me of
a spitted marshmallow ready for toasting. I bought it because it looks
like the epitome of bike cheese. I really do like it and for short
distances on an upright bike it's been okay. It's just too squishy,
and a bit wide, for my Helvetic fixie it was intended to crown.
--
zk
Old August 26th 04, 11:03 PM
gooserider

"the black rose" wrote in message
.. .
I rode it. It disappeared out from under me. I fell in love.

Nice choice! Cannondales are excellent bikes. Going with Campy Record
definitely gets you Fabrizio points, too.

Old August 27th 04, 12:01 AM
the black rose

gooserider wrote:
"the black rose" wrote in message
.. .

I rode it. It disappeared out from under me. I fell in love.

Nice choice! Cannondales are excellent bikes. Going with Campy Record
definitely gets you Fabrizio points, too.

*raspberry* Please don't attract his attention. I'm one of those
riders that Fab probably thinks should be prohibited by law from even
owning a bike.

-km

--
the black rose