Panaracer Pasella tire sizing?

Old August 29th 04, 10:33 PM
Rich Clark

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
news:IfrYc.111973$TI1.54746@attbi_s52...

I have the same rim and the same tire in a 700x28 (non-TG). I find it a
little
on the overbuilt side for my taste (as compared to a Avocet, for
instance),
but I use them because they're very nice and a whole lot cheaper. I weigh
235
and have had no problem with flats. Unless you were getting pinch flats,
it's
hard to blame them on the tire.

Pinch flats, yes.

With the same rim, narrower tire, nominal
pressure (100-110 psi), I don't ever get pinch flats.

It happened twice in less than 1000 miles. Might have been coincidence or
bad luck. Nevertheless, flats on the commute are to be avoided; I've *never*
had a flat with a Conti TT2k, so I chose to go back to the Conti on the
rear. The lighter, thinner Pasela is nice on the front.

RichC

Old August 30th 04, 01:24 AM
Brian Huntley

Dan Daniel wrote in message . ..
Anyone have recent experience with Panaracer Pasella TG tires and the
sizing? I am looking at their 700 x 32 or 35 and would like to know
the actual size. I would like to end up with 32mm width. Should I buy
the 35s?

Yes. I have had 2 Pasellas on my bike for the last two years, 700x35.
Actually measured by a caliper while on the bike (at 5B or 75 psi) was
32mm.

I just replaced the rear one after the sidewall started to fuzz in one
place (possibly due to a bad interaction with a car rack) and could
not find them locally. Instead, I used a Schwab Marathon, and they
seem to use a similar sizing - the 32mm I bought measures about 29mm
in the real world. (I couldn't find a 35mm in any decent looking
tire.)

Old August 30th 04, 01:50 PM
araby

"Dan Daniel" wrote in message
Anyone have recent experience with Panaracer Pasella TG tires and the
sizing? I am looking at their 700 x 32 or 35 and would like to know
the actual size. I would like to end up with 32mm width. Should I buy
the 35s?

I recently bought a pair of Soma NewXpress tires which are made by
Panaracer. They were marked 700 x 32, but when installed on a Super
Champion rim, they were 26mm wide. The Panaracer Pasellas would go on
thinner rims (Open Pro or similar) which would make them a bit wider.
Still, the Soma 32 = 26 thing has me nervous.

I have Pasela 32's on my touring bike. The actual width is about 28mm. I
originally had IRC Avantage 38mm's but found them to be too heavy-duty for
my purposes. The Paselas are much lighter, give a less "clunky" ride are
quite suitable for gravel roads. I much prefer them

Cheers,

Roy