Chain Driven Dynamo

Old November 30th 15, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

Default Chain Driven Dynamo

On 30/11/2015 00:55, Jakob Krieger wrote:

You forgot to say a BX was a Peugeot. And the Xantia still has proper
suspension.

The BX was a hybride, lot of Peugeot, but Citroen suspension
and gimmicks (cockpit for example).

Xantia is technically a BX, but bored-down.

Closer to a 406 than a BX in many ways. Possibly boring, but it is a
better car - faster, quieter, more economical, bigger. While I sometimes
miss some of the fun of the BX, the newer car just gets on with things a
bit better.

(the CX was more interesting than both. My wife hated it :-) )
Old November 30th 15, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jakob Krieger

- Joerg / Thu, 19 Nov 2015 18:03:27 +0100

What I meant is that you do not have fine 11-12-13-14 sprocket
granularity on a bicycle. For example, on my road bike it is currently
13-16-18-21-28-32. The 21-28 step is odd but it's 6-speed and I wanted
to use up my 5/6-speed chains so I didn't have a choice.

Well, normally the road speeds are used.

For climbing, one or two very low gears are sufficient.

Problem is what the derailleur says about steep steps.

I agree that a 3x10 is technical overkill for most buyers.

I always found it silly. Only bought it becuse the bike had Deore XT on
it and people told me that this is "the good stuff" or a "must have".
Which turned out not to be true for mountain biking, the 7-speed rear on
my old MTB is more robust.

I recently gabe away a cheap bike with SIS 6-gear rear shift.

I originally bought this bike as redundance - got something
else meantime.

Honestly: The SIS 6-gear is s goot solution.
Adjust it, oil it, works well.

I think a cheap 3*10 is much, much worse than a cheap 3*6.

... all I need most of the time on XC trails. Put the rear somewhere
in the middle and then it's just 1-2-3 at the front all the time. Only
on steep inclines I use the big dish in back and only on very long flat
trail sections I use the little cog in back.

Well, shifting mainly front blades does a lot of wear to the
chain, as it really has to climb. I am not sure what is worse -
big climb or big bending by leaxing out steps on the rear set.

All I care about is fast shifts over a large range because that's what
MTB turf often requires. Many times when it's a lot of up and down I
shift front and back simultaneously for an instant 60-70% change.

Yes, I understood this.

Chain-shift might not be the optimal answer to this purpose.

There is plenty of room for a 'big deal' innovation.

With bicycles? Don't hold your breath :-)

No, I won't. Holding breath inhibits talking - not mine.

I try to be careful with technical stuff and never shift my bikes under
load. But I hear a lot of other riders do it and the noise gives me the
goose bumps.

And still, you are the big grinder ...

But of course, a different solution would be worth engineering.
A good idea would be something which fits on where normally the
spracket-stack is seated. No, I don't want it to be built inside
of the hub, I want it serviceable more easily.

Doesn't really work because rocks fly into the works from the front. The
front wheel kicks them up and then they crash into stuff at your
traveling speed.

There are cages built for tigers not to break out.
So it might be possible to build a cage that deflects
flying rocks from a mechanic parts.

A drive shaft would solve it.

And might have down-sides as well.

From what I heard Rohloff users change the oil every 3-4k miles and
that's it, interspersed with cleaning agent swishing (which you can do
the fun way, riding). While not necessary for car transmissions that
much maintenance is acceptable. Much better than having to clean and
lube the chain every 30-40 miles on the MTB and every 250 miles on the
road bike.

I remember the Torpedo 3-gear hub which needed oil weekly
(without riding long distances).

I admit that I clean and lube my MTB chain only when it
starts to disagree. Could be done better.

[french fries with mayonnaise]

We make our own :-)

Own ork food?

No, real good stuff.

That's what I like most, as well.

French fries with mayonnaise are a treat at some places
in Germany (Bochum, Gelsenkirchen), the bad variants I
do avoid, of course.

Lately, I travelled to a fair, with no acceptable food
on the way or at the fair. It wasn't even a thing about
money, I just categorized everything as non-eatable.

What I like most comes right from an organic farm.
Best seasonal vegetables, of course, and for a very
acceptable price (since there are no marketers in-between).

What makes me think: Mr Braun is mainly specialized on
cows, growing their food (entirely, no soy or anything).
He has a (hmm) lady working for him who makes excellent
cheese from the cows' milk (very fatty cheese, because
the milk is not processed). His cows are not slaughtered
aged 5 years, but become 15 years and older. And they can
leave the stable, even the farm if they like - no ties.
It works, even economically. So there seems to be no real
need for 'modern' methods which make us all sick.

Luckily, I am not the born over-eater. After an energy-attack,
I am not feeling hungry for a long time and then I do skip meals.
And when I am cooking, I prefer rabbit-food anyway.

So can I but my body has, unfortunately, very good fuel efficiency. With
normal meals I'd gain weight unless I ride at least 100 miles a week in
hill country and step on it.

Exercise is important to well-function of the body.

I very well remember the meeting of football fans
with an almost 80-year old ex-player at the table.
He said »I'd like very much to drink a third pint of beer,
but I have to cycle home 10 kilometers« ---
the fat much younger guy was stunned indeed.

He hat 2 km to home and called a taxi ...

--
no sig
Old November 30th 15, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jakob Krieger

- Clive George / Mon, 30 Nov 2015 02:53:03 +0100

You forgot to say a BX was a Peugeot. And the Xantia still has proper
suspension.

The BX was a hybride, lot of Peugeot, but Citroen suspension
and gimmicks (cockpit for example).

Xantia is technically a BX, but bored-down.

Closer to a 406 than a BX in many ways. Possibly boring, but it is a
better car - faster, quieter, more economical, bigger. While I sometimes
miss some of the fun of the BX, the newer car just gets on with things a
bit better.

My father's BX Diesel was an economical wonder. Excellent mileage,
even at high speed, and all repairs (except one small crash) were
changing brake-pads (I did all the repairs, so I should know).
I never drove a Xantia, can't compare.

(the CX was more interesting than both. My wife hated it :-) )

CX was a hell machine. I hated to guess where it ends,
there is no edge to see. And I hated that it accelerates
to high-penalty speed in seconds.

I had a GS once. That is still one of my top-favourites.
Small, but still comfortable, perfect handling, and looks great.

Still, I must say that from all cars I ever owned, the
Fiat Ducato scored most in all points.
Upright seating position, great handling, good mileage,
lot of storing room. Died by rust, unfortionately.

jk

--
no sig
Old November 30th 15, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jakob Krieger

- Clive George / Mon, 30 Nov 2015 02:53:03 +0100

Closer to a 406 ...

Peugeot cars have a very good reputation.

But they have never be exciting.

jk

--
no sig
Old December 2nd 15, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-11-29 18:17, Jakob Krieger wrote:
- Joerg / Thu, 19 Nov 2015 18:03:27 +0100

What I meant is that you do not have fine 11-12-13-14 sprocket
granularity on a bicycle. For example, on my road bike it is currently
13-16-18-21-28-32. The 21-28 step is odd but it's 6-speed and I wanted
to use up my 5/6-speed chains so I didn't have a choice.

Well, normally the road speeds are used.

Not around where I live. Down in the flatlands, yes, but there's always
those last 7mi home with lots of hills and we live 1300ft above the
flatlands.

For climbing, one or two very low gears are sufficient.

Problem is what the derailleur says about steep steps.

The 21-28 step works nicely even with the old Shimano 600 derailleur. I
have to shift across that a lot.

I agree that a 3x10 is technical overkill for most buyers.

I always found it silly. Only bought it becuse the bike had Deore XT on
it and people told me that this is "the good stuff" or a "must have".
Which turned out not to be true for mountain biking, the 7-speed rear on
my old MTB is more robust.

I recently gabe away a cheap bike with SIS 6-gear rear shift.

I originally bought this bike as redundance - got something
else meantime.

Honestly: The SIS 6-gear is s goot solution.
Adjust it, oil it, works well.

I think a cheap 3*10 is much, much worse than a cheap 3*6.

I find my old (cheap) 3*7 MTB gears much more robust than the fancy
Deore XT stuff on the new MTB. Less worries about rock hits, wood chunks
shredding through it, and so on.

[...]

I try to be careful with technical stuff and never shift my bikes under
load. But I hear a lot of other riders do it and the noise gives me the
goose bumps.

And still, you are the big grinder ...

10mi after fixing the rear the front axle let off horrid noises and I
had to take it out for leaning and re-assembly :-(

The spokes got loose as well, have to tighten those up. I guess it's
only a matter of time until the whole front fork is finished.

But of course, a different solution would be worth engineering.
A good idea would be something which fits on where normally the
spracket-stack is seated. No, I don't want it to be built inside
of the hub, I want it serviceable more easily.

Doesn't really work because rocks fly into the works from the front.
The
front wheel kicks them up and then they crash into stuff at your
traveling speed.

There are cages built for tigers not to break out.
So it might be possible to build a cage that deflects
flying rocks from a mechanic parts.

A drive shaft would solve it.

And might have down-sides as well.

Other than the weight of a geared hub I don't see any serious ones. And
weight doesn't matter to people like me, only robustness does.

From what I heard Rohloff users change the oil every 3-4k miles and
that's it, interspersed with cleaning agent swishing (which you can do
the fun way, riding). While not necessary for car transmissions that
much maintenance is acceptable. Much better than having to clean and
lube the chain every 30-40 miles on the MTB and every 250 miles on the
road bike.

I remember the Torpedo 3-gear hub which needed oil weekly
(without riding long distances).

Huh? Back in the days people never oiled those.

I admit that I clean and lube my MTB chain only when it
starts to disagree. Could be done better.

I must clean and lube every 40mi or so, else it emits horrid noise.
Every time roughly a 2oz shotglass worth of crud comes off the chain and
gear.

[french fries with mayonnaise]

We make our own :-)

Own ork food?

No, real good stuff.

That's what I like most, as well.

French fries with mayonnaise are a treat at some places
in Germany (Bochum, Gelsenkirchen), the bad variants I
do avoid, of course.

Lately, I travelled to a fair, with no acceptable food
on the way or at the fair. It wasn't even a thing about
money, I just categorized everything as non-eatable.

This is when I take homemade hamburgers from our barbecue along. On a
Southwest Airlines flight that got people drooling and the stewardess
said "Don't do that again". Many passengers had aked her if they could
order what I had.

What I like most comes right from an organic farm.
Best seasonal vegetables, of course, and for a very
acceptable price (since there are no marketers in-between).

What makes me think: Mr Braun is mainly specialized on
cows, growing their food (entirely, no soy or anything).
He has a (hmm) lady working for him who makes excellent
cheese from the cows' milk (very fatty cheese, because
the milk is not processed). His cows are not slaughtered
aged 5 years, but become 15 years and older. And they can
leave the stable, even the farm if they like - no ties.
It works, even economically. So there seems to be no real
need for 'modern' methods which make us all sick.

Don't know who Mr.Braun is but that's how a lot of cattle lives out
here. I see them when I use the local trails. The downside is what I
found yesterday when fixing the front axles: Caked dung in the knobs of
the tire.

Luckily, I am not the born over-eater. After an energy-attack,
I am not feeling hungry for a long time and then I do skip meals.
And when I am cooking, I prefer rabbit-food anyway.

So can I but my body has, unfortunately, very good fuel efficiency. With
normal meals I'd gain weight unless I ride at least 100 miles a week in
hill country and step on it.

Exercise is important to well-function of the body.

Tell the kids with their schmart phones and game consoles. Sunday
afternoon on a very nice singletrack there were lots of MTB rider and
none under 40. Not one. This does not bode well for our health insurance
rates.

I very well remember the meeting of football fans
with an almost 80-year old ex-player at the table.
He said »I'd like very much to drink a third pint of beer,
but I have to cycle home 10 kilometers« ---
the fat much younger guy was stunned indeed.

He hat 2 km to home and called a taxi ...

Do an extra detour for a total of 20km home, then he can have that third
pint :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old December 30th 15, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jakob Krieger

- Joerg / Wed, 02 Dec 2015 19:44:00 +0100

[sorry for not answering for a lot of time]

For climbing, one or two very low gears are sufficient.

Problem is what the derailleur says about steep steps.

The 21-28 step works nicely even with the old Shimano 600 derailleur. I
have to shift across that a lot.

.... but I assume that you use the smoother steps
more than 'a lot'.

I find my old (cheap) 3*7 MTB gears much more robust than the fancy
Deore XT stuff on the new MTB. Less worries about rock hits, wood chunks
shredding through it, and so on.

Same with my Sram thing with carbon parts.
The ****ty SIS derailleur excused some inacurracies by bending.
Carbon wants to be adjusted more exactly than the shifters and
ropes can provide.

I try to be careful with technical stuff and never shift my bikes under
load. But I hear a lot of other riders do it and the noise gives me the
goose bumps.

And still, you are the big grinder ...

10mi after fixing the rear the front axle let off horrid noises and I
had to take it out for leaning and re-assembly :-(

At least, when faults stop you regularly, you save brake-pads.

I remember the Torpedo 3-gear hub which needed oil weekly
(without riding long distances).

Huh? Back in the days people never oiled those.

It had a BIG oil inlet in the middle.

And it worked for about 45 years - may be longer, but I can't
judge this because the bike was stolen then.

I admit that I clean and lube my MTB chain only when it
starts to disagree. Could be done better.

I must clean and lube every 40mi or so, else it emits horrid noise.
Every time roughly a 2oz shotglass worth of crud comes off the chain and
gear.

I think, this accounts for 'to disagree'.

[french fries with mayonnaise]

French fries with mayonnaise are a treat at some places
in Germany (Bochum, Gelsenkirchen), the bad variants I
do avoid, of course.

Lately, I travelled to a fair, with no acceptable food
on the way or at the fair. It wasn't even a thing about
money, I just categorized everything as non-eatable.

This is when I take homemade hamburgers from our barbecue along. On a
Southwest Airlines flight that got people drooling and the stewardess
said "Don't do that again". Many passengers had asked her if they could
order what I had.

Also known as 'falafel syndrome'.

But thank you for the tip, I'll take something
suitable along to my next flight ...

What I like most comes right from an organic farm.
Best seasonal vegetables, of course, and for a very
acceptable price (since there are no marketers in-between).

What makes me think: Mr Braun is mainly specialized on
cows, growing their food (entirely, no soy or anything).
He has a (hmm) lady working for him who makes excellent
cheese from the cows' milk (very fatty cheese, because
the milk is not processed). His cows are not slaughtered
aged 5 years, but become 15 years and older. And they can
leave the stable, even the farm if they like - no ties.
It works, even economically. So there seems to be no real
need for 'modern' methods which make us all sick.

Don't know who Mr.Braun is ...

Well, an organic farmer near Freising.

... but that's how a lot of cattle lives out
here. I see them when I use the local trails. The downside is what I
found yesterday when fixing the front axles: Caked dung in the knobs of
the tire.

If everything is covered by dung, there is too much cattle.

Exercise is important to well-function of the body.

Tell the kids with their schmart phones and game consoles. Sunday
afternoon on a very nice singletrack there were lots of MTB rider and
none under 40. Not one. This does not bode well for our health insurance
rates.

True, generation 'console' is missing.

But the young ones are not stupid either.
Our generation did recover the bike from history scrapyard.

I very well remember the meeting of football fans
with an almost 80-year old ex-player at the table.
He said »I'd like very much to drink a third pint of beer,
but I have to cycle home 10 kilometers« ---
the fat much younger guy was stunned indeed.

He hat 2 km to home and called a taxi ...

Do an extra detour for a total of 20km home, then he can have that third
pint :-)

He wouldn't have it before the trip,
may be at a stop in the middle.

I met him recently. Celebrated his 86th birthday
and complained about a few browses after laying his bike.

And he is still very active doing lectures twice a week
or more.

jk

--
no sig
Old December 30th 15, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-12-29 17:07, Jakob Krieger wrote:
- Joerg / Wed, 02 Dec 2015 19:44:00 +0100

[sorry for not answering for a lot of time]

For climbing, one or two very low gears are sufficient.

Problem is what the derailleur says about steep steps.

The 21-28 step works nicely even with the old Shimano 600 derailleur. I
have to shift across that a lot.

... but I assume that you use the smoother steps
more than 'a lot'.

Not really. I am lazy when it comes to shifting. In the hils I
constantly shift 21-28-21-28. On straight stretches I just use 21 and
the big chain ring up front. When I reach the flatlands (Sacramento
Valley) I use the smaller sprockets.

One of the reasons may be the fact that the bike has friction shifters
on the down-tube.

I find my old (cheap) 3*7 MTB gears much more robust than the fancy
Deore XT stuff on the new MTB. Less worries about rock hits, wood chunks
shredding through it, and so on.

Same with my Sram thing with carbon parts.
The ****ty SIS derailleur excused some inacurracies by bending.
Carbon wants to be adjusted more exactly than the shifters and
ropes can provide.

I will likely never own a carbon-frame bike. It just does not fit my
style of riding and would break soon. My dream is a titanium road bike
but then my wife would make me get rid of my old Gazelle racer and I
can't bring myself to do that.

I try to be careful with technical stuff and never shift my bikes under
load. But I hear a lot of other riders do it and the noise gives me the
goose bumps.

And still, you are the big grinder ...

10mi after fixing the rear the front axle let off horrid noises and I
had to take it out for leaning and re-assembly :-(

At least, when faults stop you regularly, you save brake-pads.

On the contrary, I have to brake to come to a stop for a repair.

I remember the Torpedo 3-gear hub which needed oil weekly
(without riding long distances).

Huh? Back in the days people never oiled those.

It had a BIG oil inlet in the middle.

Hmm, I wonder if the bike dealers didn't tell people about that.

And it worked for about 45 years - may be longer, but I can't
judge this because the bike was stolen then.

I admit that I clean and lube my MTB chain only when it
starts to disagree. Could be done better.

I must clean and lube every 40mi or so, else it emits horrid noise.
Every time roughly a 2oz shotglass worth of crud comes off the chain and
gear.

I think, this accounts for 'to disagree'.

Yeah, but once a chain "disagrees" in this way and you still have 5-10
miles to ride it'll age disproportionately fast on those miles. Maybe
this is why I get around 1500mi out of a KMC X93 chain on the MTB where
other riders don't even come close to 1000mi. I just like a clean and
nicely shifting chain. Shifting becomes rather inexact after 40-50mi of
trail riding.

[...]

... but that's how a lot of cattle lives out
here. I see them when I use the local trails. The downside is what I
found yesterday when fixing the front axles: Caked dung in the knobs of
the tire.

If everything is covered by dung, there is too much cattle.

Not everything but once in a while you come around a bend, there is this
huge smelly pile and you can neither evade it nor stop in time.

[...]

I very well remember the meeting of football fans
with an almost 80-year old ex-player at the table.
He said »I'd like very much to drink a third pint of beer,
but I have to cycle home 10 kilometers« ---
the fat much younger guy was stunned indeed.

He hat 2 km to home and called a taxi ...

Do an extra detour for a total of 20km home, then he can have that third
pint :-)

He wouldn't have it before the trip,
may be at a stop in the middle.

I met him recently. Celebrated his 86th birthday
and complained about a few browses after laying his bike.

And he is still very active doing lectures twice a week
or more.

That's how I want to have my grand finale in life :-)

Old December 30th 15, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 7:36:12 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 2015-12-29 17:07, Jakob Krieger wrote:
[...]

Not that you need to buy a carbon fiber bike, but what it is about your riding style that would cause one to break? Do you frequently ride into telephone poles?

I would worry more about how the bike is stored than how it is ridden. It has higher fatigue resistance than metal frames but less resistance to impact damage.

-- Jay Beattie

Old December 30th 15, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-12-29 17:07, Jakob Krieger wrote:
- Joerg / Wed, 02 Dec 2015 19:44:00 +0100

[sorry for not answering for a lot of time]

For climbing, one or two very low gears are sufficient.

Problem is what the derailleur says about steep steps. If it

[...]

Not telephone poles, trees :-)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bo8PDv_CAAA39dL.jpg

I would worry more about how the bike is stored than how it is
ridden. It has higher fatigue resistance than metal frames but less
resistance to impact damage.

Impact is the problem. Most of all rock hits and then the occasional
bottoming out, "petting" a large rock with a chain stay, and such.

We also often carry two bikes laying on top of each other in the bed of
a pickup truck. There is cardboard or something similar between them as
a buffer but there can always be a serious jolt where they jump a bit in
the bed. Especially on dirt roads.

Old January 1st 16, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jakob Krieger

- Joerg / Wed, 30 Dec 2015 16:36:09 +0100

The 21-28 step works nicely even with the old Shimano 600 derailleur.. I
have to shift across that a lot.

... but I assume that you use the smoother steps
more than 'a lot'.

Not really. I am lazy when it comes to shifting. In the hils I
constantly shift 21-28-21-28. On straight stretches I just use 21 and
the big chain ring up front. When I reach the flatlands (Sacramento
Valley) I use the smaller sprockets.

So, in fact, chain-shift isn't the ultimate truth.

But still, hub-shift has tricky small pieces inside.

I find my old (cheap) 3*7 MTB gears much more robust than the fancy
Deore XT stuff on the new MTB. Less worries about rock hits, wood chunks
shredding through it, and so on.

Same with my Sram thing with carbon parts.
The ****ty SIS derailleur excused some inacurracies by bending.
Carbon wants to be adjusted more exactly than the shifters and
ropes can provide.

I will likely never own a carbon-frame bike. It just does not fit my
style of riding and would break soon.

Same about me.

My dream is a titanium road bike
but then my wife would make me get rid of my old Gazelle racer and I
can't bring myself to do that.

Women are cruel, fact.

I remember the Torpedo 3-gear hub which needed oil weekly
(without riding long distances).

Huh? Back in the days people never oiled those.

It had a BIG oil inlet in the middle.

Hmm, I wonder if the bike dealers didn't tell people about that.

1. they didn't know ...
2. newer hubs had no oiler
(not sure, but I think it was when the shift lever
got a red plate on it)

_______

I very well remember the meeting of football fans
with an almost 80-year old ex-player at the table.
He said »I'd like very much to drink a third pint of beer,
but I have to cycle home 10 kilometers« ---
the fat much younger guy was stunned indeed.

I met him recently. Celebrated his 86th birthday
and complained about a few browses after laying his bike.

And he is still very active doing lectures twice a week
or more.

That's how I want to have my grand finale in life :-)

He is a great guy and a good friend, in fact.

When I first met my grandpa, he was a fat and real old man.
When I calculate, he was younger at that time as I am now.

I think there are some things one can do for keeping up.

jk

--
no sig

dynamo lights with switches and bottle dynamo/generators Keiron[_4_] Techniques 12 September 18th 09 10:30 AM
Block chain, roller chain, shaft-drive, wood-rim, and world's weirdest chain [email protected] Techniques 8 April 15th 07 01:50 AM
chain driven question tjheller Unicycling 7 November 8th 06 07:02 AM
Chain driven dynamo? Chris Eilbeck UK 8 September 28th 06 06:36 PM
Chain driven question glopal Unicycling 5 September 13th 03 02:04 PM