TT frame for road use?

Old November 12th 03, 10:28 PM
Matt J

Default TT frame for road use?

I've been lurking here for a few years, and am now making my first
road frame purchace. I ride mostly weekends, to and from school, and
sometimes after school (time permitting...), and hope get in some road
races this spring. I have an old 1987 Trek that's worked nicely - a
few upgrades here and there and it performs well. I'd like to upgrade
to brifters. However, it's only 6-speed and therefore 126mm spaced
in the back. Given that it's aluminum, I can't have it respread.
Given all this, I've found a nice Waterford frame/fork at my LBS for
$500. It fits me well, with one issue: it is a time trial bike, and I
will be using it primarily for road riding/racing. The guy at the
shop said he "wanted to make it clear" that I would be farther forward
on the bike than on a regular road bike. He set up a Serotta fit bike
to the specs, and I felt that was the case. I suggested a setback
seatpost, and he said that that ought to work things out, and get my
weight distributed better.
Is there any reason not to go for this? It seems like a great deal,
very nice bike. It's had some touch-up work but is in good condition
and everything. I'm going to put on some spare parts this weekend so
I can ride it. Is there any reason that a setback seatpost wouldn't
put me in an optimal road riding/racing position?
Thanks!
Matt
Old November 12th 03, 11:31 PM
Paul Southworth

In article ,
Matt J wrote:
I've been lurking here for a few years, and am now making my first
road frame purchace. I ride mostly weekends, to and from school, and
sometimes after school (time permitting...), and hope get in some road
races this spring. I have an old 1987 Trek that's worked nicely - a
few upgrades here and there and it performs well. I'd like to upgrade
to brifters. However, it's only 6-speed and therefore 126mm spaced
in the back. Given that it's aluminum, I can't have it respread.

This does not preclude using STI or Ergo levers - you can use
8-speed levers with a 7-speed freewheel and that will index just
fine and fit in 126mm. 8-speed levers are readily available.

With a 7-speed 126mm Hyperglide freehub, you could also install as
many loose 9-speed cogs as will fit and use 9-speed shifters to
shift as many gears as are present.

Given all this, I've found a nice Waterford frame/fork at my LBS for
$500. It fits me well, with one issue: it is a time trial bike, and I
will be using it primarily for road riding/racing. The guy at the
shop said he "wanted to make it clear" that I would be farther forward
on the bike than on a regular road bike. He set up a Serotta fit bike
to the specs, and I felt that was the case. I suggested a setback
seatpost, and he said that that ought to work things out, and get my
weight distributed better.
Is there any reason not to go for this?

Yes I think it's probably a dumb idea and you should consider
getting a "normal" road bike. It will probably fit and handle
better for you.

It seems like a great deal,
very nice bike. It's had some touch-up work but is in good condition
and everything. I'm going to put on some spare parts this weekend so
I can ride it. Is there any reason that a setback seatpost wouldn't
put me in an optimal road riding/racing position?

Yes, it either will reach far enough or it won't. Odds are against
achieving good fit (my opinion) but the answer is in the details.

$500 is a fine amount of money to shop for a nice used road frame
and fork, even a bike as nice as the Waterford. If you want a deal,
just be patient, keep looking, follow eBay, read classifieds, make
no sudden moves. Be prepared to walk away from any deal, including
this one.

--Paul
Old November 13th 03, 12:10 AM
Mike S.

snip

Yes I think it's probably a dumb idea and you should consider
getting a "normal" road bike. It will probably fit and handle
better for you.

I second the motion. TT bikes are made to go faster n' hell in a straight
line and that's about it. Not so good for climbing, riding in packs, etc.

It seems like a great deal,
very nice bike. It's had some touch-up work but is in good condition
and everything. I'm going to put on some spare parts this weekend so
I can ride it. Is there any reason that a setback seatpost wouldn't
put me in an optimal road riding/racing position?

Yes, it either will reach far enough or it won't. Odds are against
achieving good fit (my opinion) but the answer is in the details.

$500 is a fine amount of money to shop for a nice used road frame
and fork, even a bike as nice as the Waterford. If you want a deal,
just be patient, keep looking, follow eBay, read classifieds, make
no sudden moves. Be prepared to walk away from any deal, including
this one.

For this one, I'd say "next." Look for a "normal road bike" in your size.
If you want a little more versatily go for a cyclocross frame. Should be a
bunch of those for cheap after the New Year.

Mike

--Paul

Old November 13th 03, 04:09 AM
A Muzi

Matt J wrote:

[...]

The Waterford is of very high quality but, as the seller
noted, you should be aware of its style. Besides the high
seat angle, a TT bike will usually not afford much in the
way of tire width.

You should be able to change the seatpost and stem to a
comfortable position if the frame is reasonably close in size.

Overall I think you did OK with this, assuming your riding
position works and the tires you prefer will clear.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old November 13th 03, 10:16 PM
andres muro

I have short legs and a long torso. When I ride on a regular road
bike, after a while, my lower back starts hurting, since my legs
create a steep angle with my lower back. About a year ago I moved into
a bike with a 76 degree angle. I am happy with it, and ride it as both
a road and time trial bike.

You can use a tt frame for road ridding without any problems, if it
fits you well.

Andres