Osteoporosis and Bicycling

Old January 25th 04, 01:09 PM
Denver C. Fox

Default Osteoporosis and Bicycling

Bicycling Magazine came in the mail today.

Big article on osteo and bikers.

Some quotes:

While discussing an orthopedic surgeon/cross country biker age 51 who seemed in
excellent health, " . . . the appearance and vitality of a man far younger than
his 51 years. He also has the low bone denisty of a man in his 70's and is on
the road to osteoporosis."

"27 male racers ages 40-60 . . . trained average of 12.2 hours a week for 20
years . . . bone densities were 10% lower than a control group . . .
Clinically, 10 percent thinning is significant - not good - almost
frightening."

"2/3rd's of the cyclists studied already showed signs of at least osteopenia
(moderate bone loss). Four had full blown osteoporosis."

"Rich Templin, a legendary mega-miler, has the hip and lower-spine bone
densities of someone almost twice his age."

"You are at increased risk if you are Caucasian or Asian, have a parent with
osteoporosis, trained to excess as a youth, or took steroids."

In addition to elite cyclists being particularly at risk, it seems that even
recreational cyclists are somewhat at risk.

The mechanism: Calcium is lost through sweat (something we cyclists know
about). To be replaced, osteoclasts prep bones to receive a new layer of
calcium. As we age, less is replaced, but this can be stopped with a good diet
combined with physical activity that includes physical impact, G-Forces and
vibration (road biking does not give enough vibration).

Suggestions -

1. Calcium and Vit D supplements (1,200 "Ca" spread over the day along with
400-800 IU of "d").

2. Yogurt and milk

3. No smoking, less alcohol, and really less soda, (phosphates really depletes
the Ca)

4. Lift weights at least 2x's/wk, YEAR ROUND. It suggests heavy lifting to
failure.

5. Back exercises such as extensions 2x's week

6. Run, hike, skip rope or jump around.

7. Stand up on your bike more often.

8. Mountain bike more

9. Get a bone scan.

"For recreational riders, cycling is not as good, bone-wise, as other fitness
activities."

The article is much longer. I have just presented the highlights.

http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
(Colorado rental condo)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
(Family Web Page)

Old January 26th 04, 01:10 AM
Mike Kruger

"Badger South" wrote in message

Did they not discover on the space station that stationary biking was
not enough to prevent the losses in low-G?

And although running is load bearing, it is a limited activity putting
force on the lower body only. I'm thinking it's hard to get away from
slinging some iron.

Yeah, I hear dumbbells calling and it's not even a work day

Here's an idea that has worked on multiple levels for me (although these
statements have not been approved by the FDA):

My wife likes to walk for exercise, and wants me to walk with her when she
can't find a better partner. However, she walks at a slower pace. So, I
started wearing my backpack with a 25 lb weight plate in it, so it weighed
about 35 pounds total. This slowed me down sufficiently so we could walk at
the same pace for an hour, but I still felt like I was getting some
exercise.

This doesn't do much for the arms, but does provide some weight-bearing
exercise for the legs and back. Plus, now that we've gotten over the
discussions about speed or lack of it, the walks have been very pleasant.

Old January 26th 04, 11:12 PM
Pat

Big article on osteo and bikers.

My orthopedic surgeon said that since I live in a two-story house I get all
the weight bearing exercise I need just by going up and down the stairs. I
hope he's right!

Pat in TX

Old January 28th 04, 12:16 PM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 01:10:23 GMT, "Mike Kruger"
wrote:
My wife likes to walk for exercise, and wants me to walk with her when she
can't find a better partner. However, she walks at a slower pace. So, I
started wearing my backpack with a 25 lb weight plate in it, so it weighed
about 35 pounds total. This slowed me down sufficiently so we could walk at
the same pace for an hour, but I still felt like I was getting some
exercise.

Be careful of your back. It might be safer (I don't know) to
distribute some weight to the front. Maybe those lead vests that the
dentist puts on you to X-ray your head?

This doesn't do much for the arms, but does provide some weight-bearing

There's an easy solution for the arms; there are weights
specifically designed to be wrapped around the wrist for exactly
this purpose.

These can also be wrapped around Fabrizio's top tube to slow him
down on uphills for people like me to keep up with him.
--
Rick Onanian
Old January 28th 04, 12:59 PM
Peter Cole

wrote:
My wife likes to walk for exercise, and wants me to walk with her when she
can't find a better partner. However, she walks at a slower pace. So, I
started wearing my backpack with a 25 lb weight plate in it, so it weighed
about 35 pounds total. This slowed me down sufficiently so we could walk

at
the same pace for an hour, but I still felt like I was getting some
exercise.

Be careful of your back. It might be safer (I don't know) to
distribute some weight to the front. Maybe those lead vests that the
dentist puts on you to X-ray your head?

This doesn't do much for the arms, but does provide some weight-bearing

There's an easy solution for the arms; there are weights
specifically designed to be wrapped around the wrist for exactly
this purpose.

The classic solution for walking is ankle weights.