Many many questions to Nimbus and Cokeur owners

Old February 7th 07, 07:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danni

Default Many many questions to Nimbus and Cokeur owners

After seeing all these posts about the new nimbus, and soiling many
pairs of pants, I have decided to cough up the cash and get myself one.
I have many questions before I buy:
*1. *What is the difference between a 36er and a coker?
*2.* What would you recommend for a saddle?
*3.* What crank length should I get, and what in your opinion are the
best cranks for this type of riding?
'This shows me the beast, and gives me a list of what I can get'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=962):
*4.* What is the difference between 12 and 14 gauge spokes, and which
ones would you recommend?
'5. Is the AT7 Touring Handle nice, and is it worth it?'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=973)
*5. *The Kris Holm geared hub might be coming out soon, would it be
impossibly difficult to switch the hub?
*6.* What is so special about this airfoil rim?

Thanks to all who answer my bombardment of questions! Hehehe

--
Danni

leo wrote:
Without cocks you wouldn't even have a family forum.

'*Ha Ha haaaaa*' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXflM7xVLs)'!'
Danni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12990

Old February 7th 07, 07:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
muzzle

*1. *What is the difference between a 36er and a coker?
Coker is a brand name, both are 36ers.
*2.* What would you recommend for a saddle?
UDC Gel.
*3.* What crank length should I get, and what in your opinion are the
best cranks for this type of riding?
140 or shorter 127 are faster but harder to learn on
*4.* What is the difference between 12 and 14 gauge spokes, and which
ones would you recommend?
weight vs strength ratio. depends what your doing on ur uni.
'5. Is the AT7 Touring Handle nice, and is it worth it?'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=973)
Only if you like touring handles. Some people like them some dont. For
short commutes you probably wont need it.
*5. *The Kris Holm geared hub might be coming out soon, would it be
impossibly difficult to switch the hub?
Not sure.
*6.* What is so special about this airfoil rim?
Much stronger, much lighter. Thus better handling and better for bumps.

--
muzzle

my videos: 'muzzle!videos' (http://youtube.com/profile?user=muzzl3)
http://youtube.com/profile?user=muzzl3
my website: '!muzzle!' (http://www.muzzle.co.nr)
http://www.muzzle.co.nr
muzzle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11458

Old February 7th 07, 07:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danni

muzzle wrote:
*4.* What is the difference between 12 and 14 gauge spokes, and which
ones would you recommend?
weight vs strength ratio. depends what your doing on ur uni.

Well I'm going to be riding it around. No six foot drops and crankflips
on this. What would be lighter and better suited for a commuting uni?
Thanks Muzzle!

--
Danni

Old February 7th 07, 07:28 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iridemymuni

14 gauge are better i believe.

stainless steel wont rust and looks good.

im getting 14 gauge.

--
iridemymuni

maker of the happy birthday threads

ive got:

John Childs, Klaas Bill, Kris Holm, Samia, Harper, Bryan Stevens,
Wobbling bear, Mike Swarbrick, Cathwoood, Scott Wallis, Mikefule,
Raphael (jjuggle), James Potter, ITEMNO530, DogBowl, Yoopers,
Habbywall, Terry and Jagur.
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

Old February 7th 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chris.James

14g stainless is actually stronger than the more weighty 12g and it
doenst rust so it stays better longer

--
Chris.James

"Thats my favorite thing about unicycling, I can eat oreos while
riding!" ~Me

"Darwin was once of the greatest minds of our time!
Then why is he making out with Satan?" ~The Simpsons
Chris.James's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14072

Old February 7th 07, 07:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomblackwood

As muzzle noted, both are 36" touring unicycles. The Nimbus from UDC is
superior to a stock Coker from almost any angle of comparison. The
combination of the Airfoil rim, 14 spokes, and well-designed frame are
the Big 3 differentiators. On the negative side, the current Airfoil
rims are reputed to only fit the TA tires, rather than working on both
the TA and the Coker tires like earlier Airfoil rims. That's a downer,
as the Coker tire is nicer for offroad applications.

I agree, get the UDC gel saddle. If you get serious later, you can
think about tricking it out. Likewise, the 150 cranks will be much
easier to learn on, and much more flexible if you have any regular
hills in your riding universe. Once you're more proficient, you may
want shorter cranks, but the 150 is a pretty versatile length. Learn to
spin on those, and you'll be flying when you start going shorter.

If you're unsure about the touring handle, at least spend the extra and
get the rail adapter seatpost setup. Being able to adjust the angle of
your seat can make a big impact on increasing comfort on long trips.
Plus that way, you can always add the T7 later.

I recently bought a Nimbus 36 for my 13 year old son, and have been
very impressed with the quality. I added on a T7 handle later, and the
workmanship and design is quite nice. Overall with all the adders, it's
a factory setup in the $700-$800 range that you previously had to go
fully custom to get, at a pricetag of $1000+++.

$.02,

TB

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...

Old February 7th 07, 10:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
TonyMelton

I just did the SINZ tour on a KH Fusion Freeride saddle and had no
problems at all in nearly 1000km. This saddle is the best of the KH
saddle variants for long distance riding, in my opinion. A rail adapter
and KH rail post will greatly enhance your saddle comfort on rides
longer than a few km.

As for handles the T7 is a good choice as is the GB4 handle (though
this works best with a carbon fibre seat base). I use a Scott Wallis
Deathgrip handle, which is very light and strong and can be used with
one or two hands.

14g spokes are lighter and stronger than 12g.

BTW you cannot be a 'Cokeur owner' unless you own slaves who ride
unicycles. 'Cokeur' refers to someone who rides a Coker/36er.

--
TonyMelton

Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day.
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Old February 7th 07, 12:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hazmat

Me thinks muzzle summed it up nicely.

--
Hazmat

If you fail at unicycling or unicycle tricks, try again, when you try
again. You will never fail.
Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828

Old February 7th 07, 12:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maximus unius

The KH geared hub will most likely NOT work with the nibmus 36 frame.
That frame is compatible with only wide hubs, and as far as I know, the
KH geared hub is not going to be wide, just normal width(whatever that
is) to fit in his KH frame. If you really really really really wanted
it, you would have to 1) deal with having a much weaker wheel which is
not good and 2) buy the 'KH 36'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=679) frame that costs
$590 USD

--
maximus unius

Borgshulze wrote:

That's not a stick, that's your brain matter.

dudewithasock wrote:

I'm sorry, but that's really one of the worst comebacks I've ever seen.
And I hang out with my friends.

maximus unius's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13699

Old February 7th 07, 12:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

Danni wrote:
Well I'm going to be riding it around. No six foot drops and crankflips
on this. What would be lighter and better suited for a commuting uni?
Thanks Muzzle!

You don't have to to need a strong wheel, I have the 12g steel spokes
and steel rim on my nimbus 36. I can quite easily get the rim to bend
so that it rubs on my brakes while riding on flat ground, just by
riding hard, whihc is extremley annoying. The stainless spokes are
lighter, stronger, stiffer and cheaper, there's no downside.

I have the T7 handle and i love it, got my brakes computer and bell on
there, I can't ride coker without one anymore.

--
kington99

Dave