Many many questions to Nimbus and Cokeur owners

Old February 7th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hazmat

Default Many many questions to Nimbus and Cokeur owners

Sometimes if i want to confuse people when i'm riding my coker. I hold
an actual steering wheel in front of me and make beeping noises as i
pass-by. It's hialrious to know that people like me will try new and
weird things. . Also when i'm turning, i also turn the steering
wheel to match my movements (Left to go left, right to go right) and so
forth.

--
Hazmat

If you fail at unicycling or unicycle tricks, try again, when you try
again. You will never fail.
Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828

Old February 7th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danni

Thanks guys!

--
Danni

leo wrote:
Without cocks you wouldn't even have a family forum.

'*Ha Ha haaaaa*' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXflM7xVLs)'!'
Danni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12990

Old February 8th 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
boo radley

tomblackwood wrote:
On the negative side, the current Airfoil rims are reputed to only fit
the TA tires, rather than working on both the TA and the Coker tires
like earlier Airfoil rims.

So are the new Airfoil rims just as good as the old ones in all
respects except for the Coker tire thing? I have to wonder if it even
holds the TA tire as well as it should. I was going to wait for the
next batch of Airfoils to come out before upgrading my steel rim, but I
think I can live without a Coker tire if that's the only problem.

--
boo radley

"no really, are you sure you love me more than your unicycle?" -my gf

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx
boo radley's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10484

Old February 8th 07, 08:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomblackwood

boo radley wrote:
So are the new Airfoil rims just as good as the old ones in all respects
except for the Coker tire thing? I have to wonder if it even holds the
TA tire as well as it should. I was going to wait for the next batch
of Airfoils to come out before upgrading my steel rim, but I think I
can live without a Coker tire if that's the only problem.

The current batch of airfoil rims--or at least the one that came with
my son's Nimbus 36--appears to hold the TA tire quite well. According
to the discussion I had with Amy Drummond at UDC, it is not at all
clear there will ever be a "next batch" of airfoil rims. UDC stays
pretty tight lipped about who the supplier of the airfoil rims is, but
she clearly lacked the confidence (in either herself or in the airfoil
supplier) to assert her rights as Buyer and reject the current batch as
defective, which it clearly is. The impression I got was that she fears
the supplier won't make another batch, and they really wanted to get
the Nimbus to market with the wonderful TA tire.

In the long history of UDC mistakes at the expense of their customers,
I believe this one is their biggest. If you're the buyer and someone
tries to sell you a load of crap that doesn't meet spec, you should
shove it back at them and make them do it again.

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...

Old February 8th 07, 08:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onelesscar

I just sent an email to UDC in which I asked them when the next
(correct) batch of airfoils would be in. Their response:

the apparently confused UDC wrote:
We won’t have those rims in till April...If you’d like to
purchase the regular coker compatible rim in April it will be up on the
site

--
onelesscar

"my bounty is as boundless as the sea
my love as deep
the more i give to thee the more i have
for both are endless"
onelesscar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11127

Old February 8th 07, 09:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

maximus unius wrote:
The KH geared hub will most likely NOT work with the nibmus 36 frame.
That frame is compatible with only wide hubs, and as far as I know, the
KH geared hub is not going to be wide, just normal width(whatever that
is) to fit in his KH frame. If you really really really really wanted
it, you would have to 1) deal with having a much weaker wheel which is
not good and 2) buy the 'KH 36'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=679) frame that costs
$590 USD

To answer some of the original questions, the t7 handle, I don't have
one on my uni, but I've ridden on it, and it's the first handle like
that I've actually found comfortable. I really didn't like the old GB
handles that Roger from unicycle.com had on his coker before, whereas
the new one puts you in a nicer position. I would get it, because it
matches the pimpy frame, so why not.

Don't get an air saddle, air saddles ming, they're a common beginner
distance rider mistake, they feel more comfy when you don't ride
distance, but are rubbish once you're actually into it.

I think all learners should get 150mm cranks. It'll be a beast to ride
until you get used to it. When you want to change, a new set of cranks
is cheap.

It's a steel frame, so you should just be able to bend it in to work
with the narrower geared hub when it comes out. I'm sure Roger from
unicycle.com told me it works fine with the normal unicycle.com hub as
well as the cowboy style super-wide one. The current KH splined hub
should work in the nimbus 36 too (though it'd be pointless overkill).

There's some chance you might need to grind down one edge of the
bearing holders with the new geared hub though, so there's no guarantee
everything will fit together.

Having said that, if the new geared hub is going to cost anything like
the $1600 that the current less good geared hub costs, the cost of a
frame to fit it will be a drop in the ocean, so I wouldn't worry too
much.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

Old February 8th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danni

Thanks joemarshall, you cleared things up nicely.

I hate the normal cotterless cranks that cost 10 bucks and bend very
easily. I would rather have something a little heavier and better
quality.
1. What cranks should I get?
2. Would they fit the udc wide hub that is on the nimbus?

I was also wondering if you could have say three sets of cranks that
are different lengths and change them for varying terrain. Would it
take long and/or cause damage to the parts?

Thanks for all the helpful comments,

Daniel

--
Danni

Old February 8th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brendan

changing square tapered cranks isnt that hard, and they arent that bad,
especially for a coker its gonna be fine.

As for changing them often... trust me you wont bother... i mean its
not that hard but u need to put alot of pressure and needa special
tool.

--
brendan
brendan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13680

Old February 9th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

Danni wrote:

I hate the normal cotterless cranks that cost 10 bucks and bend very
easily. I would rather have something a little heavier and better
quality.
1. What cranks should I get?
2. Would they fit the udc wide hub that is on the nimbus?

I was also wondering if you could have say three sets of cranks that
are different lengths and change them for varying terrain. Would it
take long and/or cause damage to the parts?

I have bicycle euro cranks. They're strong enough for cokering. Some
people I know ride with some aluminium ones from unicycle.com, which
make your uni noticeably lighter, I'm not sure what they are.

What I did with the crank lengths was get used to riding 150s on most
terrain, then switch to 110s, and get used to riding those. Nowadays I
just stick with 110s for everything (on road only, I don't bother
riding my coker off road any more).

Joe

Old February 9th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mrwhitechristmas

Get a 138 for the crank. They're rare around here, but good.

--
mrwhitechristmas
mrwhitechristmas's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14336