fixing the shifter

Old July 8th 07, 09:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RichD

Default fixing the shifter

I have a mountain style bike (used mostly for
street riding), 5 speed sprocket on the rear wheel.

The rear shifting mechanism has drifted off.
Like, the lever is in the '2' position, when the
chain in 4th gear.

The cable has stretched, or whatever, I'm not
sure. Can this be tightened? I examined it,
but don't see any adjustment screws. Does
the cable need to be replaced? If so, can it
be done with a standard home tool set? I
don't have any bike specialty tools.

If I take it to a bike shop for repair, how
much can I expect to pay?

Thanks,

--
Rich

Old July 8th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

RichD wrote:
I have a mountain style bike (used mostly for
street riding), 5 speed sprocket on the rear wheel.

The rear shifting mechanism has drifted off.
Like, the lever is in the '2' position, when the
chain in 4th gear.

The cable has stretched, or whatever, I'm not
sure. Can this be tightened? I examined it,
but don't see any adjustment screws. Does
the cable need to be replaced? If so, can it
be done with a standard home tool set? I
don't have any bike specialty tools.

Always start with Sheldon's website:
http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html,
http://sheldonbrown.com/cables.html.

Old July 8th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jul 8, 2:02 am, RichD wrote:
I have a mountain style bike (used mostly for
street riding), 5 speed sprocket on the rear wheel.

The rear shifting mechanism has drifted off.
Like, the lever is in the '2' position, when the
chain in 4th gear.

The cable has stretched, or whatever, I'm not
sure. Can this be tightened? I examined it,
but don't see any adjustment screws. Does
the cable need to be replaced? If so, can it
be done with a standard home tool set? I
don't have any bike specialty tools.

If I take it to a bike shop for repair, how
much can I expect to pay?

Thanks,

--
Rich

About $10, including the cable and labor, if that's what's wrong. Take
it to a decent bike shop, it's what they do.

Old July 8th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

RichD wrote:
I have a mountain style bike (used mostly for
street riding), 5 speed sprocket on the rear wheel.

The rear shifting mechanism has drifted off.
Like, the lever is in the '2' position, when the
chain in 4th gear.

The cable has stretched, or whatever, I'm not
sure. Can this be tightened? I examined it,
but don't see any adjustment screws. Does
the cable need to be replaced? If so, can it
be done with a standard home tool set? I
don't have any bike specialty tools.

If I take it to a bike shop for repair, how
much can I expect to pay?

Follow the gear wire to its end at the changer. It's clamped with a nut,
bolt or allen fastener. Shift to high gear, slack the fastener, oil the
thread then pull the wire through with your fingers (just take up the
slack - don't lean on it). Tighten the fastener and test ride.

It may be helpful to work some oil into the casing while the wire is
disconnected. Pull the wire out a few cm; not necessary to completely
disassemble unless you see significant corrosion inside.

If a slack gear wire is the extent of it, you're at the minimum rate for
a shop; between zero and small dollar amounts.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Fixing to Fix Don Whybrow UK 18 April 14th 07 10:02 AM
What makes a Shimano STI shifter better than another STI shifter? Earl Bollinger Techniques 7 June 27th 06 02:47 AM
FS Dura Ace 9 sp shifter (rear), Downtube shifter/brake package [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 20th 04 05:05 PM
Fixing an old bike Suzy Jackson Australia 50 September 30th 03 09:16 AM
convert down tube shifter to bar-end shifter Phil Brown Techniques 5 August 28th 03 04:15 PM