SA - Road safety program launched with a focus on cyclists

Old August 30th 07, 03:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
EuanB[_123_]

Default SA - Road safety program launched with a focus on cyclists

On 2007-08-29, EuanB

wrote:

Patrick Turner Wrote:
Buull shiiit

Really? There's heaps of evidence that the facts I've cited are as
stated. Where's your evidence to the contray?

You are a fool.

Euan (and Theo), I'm curious. Why are you bothering? He's obviously
not listening...

I'm listening alright John.

I raise very fair questions, and then all i hear is silence or insults
from guys who should know that neither wins any argument or gains any
respect.

Glass house, meet stone.

You're the one who started with the abuse, you're the one who thinks
his time is more important than others and refuses to read readily
available reports answering the myriad of hypotheticals you raise.

You cast many insults in my direction and it's only in the last two
posts that you've raised my ire enough to respond in kind. Have a
search of my posting history and you'll find you're almost unique in
that respect.

Good day to you.

--
EuanB

Old August 30th 07, 03:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Turner

Bean Long wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

The average person in a western nation wasteful economy needs around
0.7kW of power supplied to him
365days a year, 24 hours a day, on average. I know this by reading my
electricity bills.

Patrick "Mr Average" Turner ! :-)

Unlike so many ppl in news groups, I know my **** smells.

Does yours smell? I bet it pongs!

Many poseurs in this group pose as being knowledgeable but who dispaly
all well known symptoms
of being pig ignorant, such as being quite unable to support their
stance on anything.
I know I am a very ordinary person,
that I am a limited human, and it doesn't worry me.
It also never ever worrys me that when poseuer experts who think they
know more than I do
resent being questioned.

Trying to get any kind of consensus at all about issues concerning
"Road safety program launched with a focus on cyclists" was always going
to be
difficult or quite futile here.

Nobody can agree on the basic issues involved,
many want to display how big their penis is in front of everyone else,
people read reports without understanding them,
nobody questions reports,
and nobody sees a benefit to having solidarity,
people trample on the rights and wishes ot others,
and nobody wants to tell the town planners and politicians the same
things,
and nobody really wants to discuss the duty of care everyone should have
for everyone else,
both on the roads and off, and so many are so boringly selfish.

Any politician or town planner would be laughing at us were he or she
to read what might be on a cyclist's mind by reading the "grapevine"
information here.

They would not know what cyclists want by reading these postings.

The Internet has never allowed people to be more effectively functional
where they don't wanna be any betta.

Patrick Turner.
Old August 30th 07, 04:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
EuanB[_124_]

Patrick Turner Wrote:
Trying to get any kind of consensus at all about issues concerning
"Road safety program launched with a focus on cyclists" was always
going
to be
difficult or quite futile here.

Nobody can agree on the basic issues involved,

The only contray opinion here is yours. There's a clue.

--
EuanB

Old August 30th 07, 04:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Turner

Plodder wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Theo Bekkers wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:
EuanB wrote:

Patrick Turner Wrote:
In Sydney at Turramurra, a posh suburb where I grew up there were
ZERO bike paths

Percieved risk rarely equals actual risk.

You have not answered all the questions I have raised so clearly.

That could be because all your uqestions were directed at me. Why would
Euan
answer them? Why would I?

Theo

I address all my posts to the group, but my posts may
speak directly to the guy to whom I have based by reply on for the
group.

ALL questions I may ask are directed at the group.
If nobody anwers them, it often means that everyone in the group is
A, possibly arrogant, lazy egotistical and offended,
B, plain dumb,
C, has not got the time, or only answers questions if it makes the
questioner look very ill informed,
or as part of a general sadistic tendency.

Have I left anything out Theo? anyone else have a clue?

SNIPPED THE LAST PART OF PATRICK'S POST

D: Don't care to spend much time answering someone who's catchcry is 'buull
shiiit' to rational evidence that runs counter to his emotive opinion.

But the point of allerting people to the abundant presense of "buull
shiiit"
by means of screaming out "BUULL SHIIIT".
There was was no rational evidence that the pile of "buull shiiit"
did not exist. A large pile did exist, and warnings were issued with
good old Australian vigour!

During Internet Discussions, always bring your gumboots, broom and
shovel.
Many who pose to be so reasonable and knowledgable are plain thugs
who know **** all.

You have not answered any questions I have so earnestly and fairly
raised.

E: Got quickly fed up with responding to someone who has been a cyclist for
a long time (credit!) but who prefers to keep cycling the same way as many
years ago and wants infrastructure money spent simply to avoid having to
change their own habits or the habits of others.

Get as fed up as your bloody minded mind wishes. Your gluttony and
ignorance is your choice.

Lest anyone be confused and not know to what poster Plodder is
answering,
lemme say I wish to continue riding as I always have, ie, defensively,
and to stay alive,
and never confrontationally, so I can stay alive,
and so I wish for extensions to the cycle path system, extension to the
cycle lane system,
better integration of roads, paths and lanes, and more funds devoted to
repairs and maintenance of the amenities I have enjoyed over many of the
last 34 years
while I have been in the ACT. I have paid motor rego fees and paid
taxes,
and I demand a fair share of such expenses be spent to improve things
for cyclists.

I have never opposed any attempt by anyone to change attitudes of
drivers.

But a million bucks spent on any advertising campaign would be better
spent
in a few new paths, lanes or cycle path repairs somewhere, IMHO.

Changing ppls attitude is extremely difficult, and largely futile,
unless laws are
enacted, and policed, and penalties are severe. THEN and only then does
anyone
ever go out on a road thinking he must behave better. Humans are human
though,
and its all easier said than done, and the road toll we all endure is
the result.
Just think what it'd be like without laws and enforcement about speed,
safety and drink driving.
Humanity is an errant species; individuals are grossly flawed and vice
ridden and they, we,
cannot self regulate their/our lives, and so everyone accepts stern and
firm group regulation
for the majority to survive, because a good long life is impossible any
other way.

And despite the laws we have, gross examples of appalling attitudes are
extended to
powerless, vulnerable and harmless cyclists.
Its common for me to have obscenities yelled at at me by young folks
while on roads while cycling.
Drivers cut me off, and do all manner of ****; its only a cyclist they
think....
Why don't so many women ride? they get much more hassle.
Most of the young MALE ****wits yelling crap and behaving idiotically
will grow out of it
without expense of a single dollar from the public purse. Its natural
for most men to mature slightly at least, but there is a strong culture
that
maturement is somehow woosy, or sissy, or un-cool. However any
generation describes it,
many young people dislike having to grow up.
Many don't of course, and they never will, and they'll still be hostile
to cyclists
when they are 80.

Should you choose to disagree, please give me all your reasons before
insulting me.

Patrick Turner.

nuff...

me

Old August 30th 07, 04:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Turner

Theo Bekkers wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

Theo said he'd like to see cycle paths ripped up and grassed over.

He doesn't seem to care that a huge number of cyclists would be very
offended if
this was to occur, and afaiac, Theo's attitude is one of a
reckless trouble making vandal with ZERO credibility.

Of course Theo won't answer my questions.

Just why would he answer me if it makes him look like an arseole to so
many people?

ROTFL.

Theo

Theo is an arsole. This is really what he enjoys.

A troll.

Patrick Turner.
Old August 30th 07, 05:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Turner

Theo Bekkers wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

According to the carbon trading scheme I need just 55 trees to
neutralise my carbon impact on the planet. I had about 800 when I
moved in but planted another 250 just to make sure. You wanna rent
some?

Just watch out for bushfires.

In 2002, AND 2003, the fires in Canberra added an enormous amount of
tree carbon to the air.

Pat, I'm a volunteer fireman here in WA, in 2002 I went to NSW to help out
with their fires for a couple of weeks. I was based in Singleton.

Theo

Unfortunately, all your wonderful efforts to plant trees and to fight
bushfires
when you are not preaching that cycle paths should be ripped up and
grassed over
will be in vain over the longer term.
Its a wonder Theo hasn't recommended the cycle paths have trees instead
of grass planted
where he has advised the paths should be abolished.

I'm not surprised that a vandal like Theo is fascinated with fire.

The planet is warming because a carbon dependant disease is rapidly
spreading
from a minority of ppl to the majority on a global scale.
About 3 extra billion ppl npw suddenly want roads, cars, electricity,
tap water, and telphones, and every other damn thing that causes smoke
from burning something.

Just watch the BS flow at the coming APEC in Sydney.

They'll all sit around wagging chins at each other, and talk about
"aspirational targets" instead of committing to real targets.
They'll all claim special status and weasel out of
doing things the hard way and only way, ie, cut CO2
by 50% within 3 years please, and limit ALL families one child only
worldwide
until the reduction targets are all fully met.
For this to occur, expect DRASTIC cost increases in the way all farming
and transport
is done, and how all domestic living is carried out, and huge reductions
in the
standard of living.

Meanwhile, the severity and frequency of bush fires wil only get worse,
and gradually the forest cover will thin out, and the landscape will
addapt to the hotter drier conditions. Its like the land feels hot, so
it takes its jumper off.

My father and I went fighting fires that occasinally raged in the lush
thick bush around
northern Sydney suburbs many years ago.
The bush fires that destroyed 500 houses in Canberra in 2003 were quite
avoidable had
forestry pratices and fuel reduction practices been done regularly in
the
20 years before the fires hit. But such things never get treated very
seriously
by goverments always crying poor, and while addressing priorities to get
votes.
The legacy of planting thick dense pine forests close to suburbs upwind
of prevailing strong dry westerly
winds was a disaster in the making. Fire storms have happened before in
the same places
and regularly every 50 years or so, even without pines, which only made
matters a lot worse than having
low density open eucalypt forest. It takes about 40 years for an average
populataion to forget the
fire risk perils, and believe it can't happen to them, and do nothing to
reduce the risks.

A very large % of the ACT's pine forests were burnt in just 2 days.
When you calculate what amount of CO2 went skyward in the weeks before
and after the Canberra 2003 fires, it makes anything little men do on
the ground seem utterly
miniscule. The forces of nature look set to prevail.
Meanwhile, elsewhere in Asia, forests are being ripped down big time and
burnt
deliberately.....
6 billion people all using much more fuel have suddenly become the
equivalent
of a permanent huge increasing volcano which is unbalancing the natural
system.

I doubt very much if APEC members will talk about a
"Road safety program launched with a focus on cyclists",
bearing in their minds that to wean ourselves nationally off oil and
coal fuels
we need a rise in the number of cyclists on the move at any given time
from our national average of under 1% to 50%.
I can hear the squeals of protest now when petrol guzzling V8 and SUV
are all confiscated.

Women better get used to knitting more jumpers for winter.
But only for the next 20 years, because after that winters won't be
cold.

Egotists who want to live like kings and queens will have to be
regulated by laws.
Attitudonal change will become mandatory and womandatory for
all who are suffering the disease of affluenza.

Patrick Turner.

,
klto T )Tu
and n inIf you had 800 trees, ie, they we yours
Old August 30th 07, 07:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

Patrick Turner wrote:

Bean Long wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:

The average person in a western nation wasteful economy needs around
0.7kW of power supplied to him
365days a year, 24 hours a day, on average. I know this by reading my
electricity bills.

Patrick "Mr Average" Turner ! :-)

Unlike so many ppl in news groups, I know my **** smells.

Does yours smell? I bet it pongs!

SNIP

Patrick, are you OK? I mean REALLY OK?? I'm also worried about your
fingers, they must be almost worn out with all that typing.

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
Old August 30th 07, 08:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dorfus Dippintush

Default Impervious to reason

Bean Long wrote:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:17:50 -0000
John Pitts wrote:
Euan (and Theo), I'm curious. Why are you bothering? He's obviously
not listening...

Euan's an educator, he's trying to educate. Theo's just a stirrer.

Zebee
- owner of functioning killfile, makes it easier to cope

Ouch... my thread is getting overstretched! I need a 19 inch screen just
to see the whole thread in T'bird! This is becoming an enormous waste of
carbon! Could everyone who wants to contribute to this thread please do
so by sending msgs with black background and white txt (ala
www.blackle.com), in order to save energy!?

:-)

Bean all of my pixels are recycled, my screen still has as many as when
it was new. Not only that, my energy-mass quantity is about neutral too,
with negligible radioactive emissions.

Dorfus.
Old August 30th 07, 08:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dorfus Dippintush

Theo Bekkers wrote:
John Pitts wrote:
Patrick Turner Wrote:

Buull shiiit

Euan (and Theo), I'm curious. Why are you bothering? He's obviously
not listening...

Yeah, we know. I'm loth to let him dribble on uncontested with his stupid
concepts and opinions.

Theo

Geez Theo, you let me dribble on uncontested all the time!

Dorfus
Old August 30th 07, 08:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Turner

EuanB wrote:

Patrick Turner Wrote:
EuanB wrote:

Patrick Turner Wrote:
EuanB wrote:

Patrick Turner Wrote:
In Sydney at Turramurra, a posh suburb where I grew up there

were
ZERO
bike paths

Percieved risk rarely equates with actual risk.

Copenhagen's transport department has recently released a report
showing that cycle paths increased percieved safety for cyclists

but
increase road risk.

You can read all about it here *http://tinyurl.com/3dlkbm*

These are facts Pat. Not theories, not opinions, facts.

--
EuanB

Buull shiiit

Really? There's heaps of evidence that the facts I've cited are as
stated. Where's your evidence to the contray?

You are a fool.

It appears you have not read the reports you expect me to read.
You cannot quote from them, have learnt nothing from them
and all you can do is call someone a fool.

I can read just fine, you're the one refusing to read the reports. If
you read them your questions will be answered.

Don't make the arrogant presumption that my time is worth less than
yours, if you're truly interested you'll read the reports and come back
with specific rebuttals. Until you do that there is nothing more do
discuss and you will reamain a fool.

Of course you are not only the fool you call others
to escape having to defend a dodgy idea, but you are an arrogant when
forced into a corner like the dunce you are.

If you could defend your ideas, then you would.
While you show you have ZERO practical ideas to recommend be addopted
by polliticians and town planners, it makes you dumb.
You have ZERO wisdoms to teach other cyclists and there is not the
slightest
evidence that you have read any of the reports tou say are gospel.

You are a complete BS artiste.

Patrick Turner.

--

EuanB