Interesting that sometimes its the high end stuff that becomes obsolete.

Old February 25th 14, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Interesting that sometimes its the high end stuff that becomes obsolete.

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 07:30:12 -0800 (PST), jbeattie
wrote:

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 11:25:18 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 11:18:23 +1100, James

A whole bunch deleted

It's progress, James. Used to be you could go in to your LBS and he'd

have a bunch of sprockets hanging on a board - just pick out what you

want.

You can still do that with some brands of cassettes, but not Shimano. Same in the old days. Some brands of freewheels allowed consumer choice, Regina being the obvious one, with those impressive cog boards. The issue these days are proprietary chain rings. You could get knock-off Campy rings for $10 back in the day. A modern Dura Ace ring will cost more than a whole Campy NR crank.

Maybe you can still do that but I don't seem to be able to. I go into
a bike shop and say I want to get some other sprockets and they say,
"we don't have sprockets" :-)

But, hey. I was talking to a girl rider the other day and she was

complaining about one hill, that she said she could hardly get over. I

said something like, "change the cassette so you got bigger gears."

She replied, "what's a cassette".

30 years ago, she would have said "what's a freewheel?"

-- Jay Beattie

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old February 25th 14, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 09:08:00 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Monday, February 24, 2014 10:30:12 AM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, February 23, 2014 11:25:18 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:

It's progress, James. Used to be you could go in to your LBS and he'd
have a bunch of sprockets hanging on a board - just pick out what you
want.

You can still do that with some brands of cassettes, but not Shimano. Same in the old days. Some brands of freewheels allowed consumer choice, Regina being the obvious one, with those impressive cog boards.

Of course, in those 5-cog days, choice of individual cogs was somewhat more
important. Setting up a well-spaced "half-step" required pretty specific
tooth counts.

These days, if you've got 9, 10 or 11 cogs in back, I think you can be
less picky about exactly what their tooth counts are. There's bound to
be a cog that's not very different from your ideal.

- Frank Krygowski

I'm not sure that "half-step" setup is what's so important. I come out
of my front door and it is about a half a kilometer of (what seems
like) straight up and I need a gear that lets me get to the top so I
can go bicycle riding.... and of course I'll have the same problem
coming home and I'll be tired then too.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old February 25th 14, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

If you're really interested, try he

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=14031

But you have to go with Miche.

I'm considering building a Miche 10sp with 11, 11, 11,11,11,12,12,12,12 and a bail-out gear for the big hills, 13. It will impress my friends.

We were manly men back in the Regina 5sp days: http://tinyurl.com/pluyvbl Somewhat later incarnation: http://tinyurl.com/mrnaxus

Makes my knees hurt just looking at them. I remember moving to Oregon in the seven speed days and getting a race flyer recommending a 23t cog and thinking "what, do they think I'm disabled?" Whatever you think of Lance and his doping, his high cadence thing was a boon for large cog manufacturers . . . and a bust for orthopedists.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 25th 14, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, February 24, 2014 9:00:22 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:

I'm considering building a Miche 10sp with 11, 11, 11,11,11,12,12,12,12 and a bail-out gear for the big hills, 13. It will impress my friends.

That's just silly; far too many duplicate gears. I recommend going
with 11.0, 11.1, 11.2, 11.3, etc.

We've been stuck with integer tooth counts far too long. We need new,
_innovative_ solutions!

- Frank Krygowski
Old February 25th 14, 11:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 20:33:19 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Monday, February 24, 2014 9:00:22 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:

I'm considering building a Miche 10sp with 11, 11, 11,11,11,12,12,12,12 and a bail-out gear for the big hills, 13. It will impress my friends.

That's just silly; far too many duplicate gears. I recommend going
with 11.0, 11.1, 11.2, 11.3, etc.

We've been stuck with integer tooth counts far too long. We need new,
_innovative_ solutions!

- Frank Krygowski

I can only applaud your "outside the box" innovations :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old February 25th 14, 01:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand

That's just silly; far too many duplicate gears. I recommend going
with 11.0, 11.1, 11.2, 11.3, etc.

We've been stuck with integer tooth counts far too long. We need new,
_innovative_ solutions!

There's always Nanodrive:

http://sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive/
Old February 25th 14, 02:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, February 24, 2014 9:00:22 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:

I'm considering building a Miche 10sp with 11, 11, 11,11,11,12,12,12,12
and a bail-out gear for the big hills, 13. It will impress my friends.

That's just silly; far too many duplicate gears. I recommend going
with 11.0, 11.1, 11.2, 11.3, etc.

We've been stuck with integer tooth counts far too long. We need new,
_innovative_ solutions!

- Frank Krygowski

At least then you'd know why your chain was skipping.
Old February 25th 14, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

always separate...isolate the new cassette from the old !

or splash marker on it.
Old February 27th 14, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m $herman

On 2/23/2014 8:05 PM, Mark J. UseNet wrote:
On 2/23/2014 12:50 PM, AMuzi wrote:

I'm admittedly a luddite in some regards but I haven't bought a nail
since the first day I saw a drywall screw.

(p.s. all my cars have multiple carburetors or multiple throat. Rebuild
every 10 years or so, no complaints. After the Chinese do their EMP
thing I won't have anywhere to go but my car will run.)

Seriously? No electronic /ignition/, just points and the coil?
Most cars haven't been EMP-robust since something like the mid-80s, I
think.

-Mark J. "Not really a survivalist, but I play one on TV"

I believe A. Muzi's cars were made during the Johnson (Lyndon, not
Andrew) administration.

--
T0m $herm@n