Nice Very Small Pump

Old April 12th 16, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Nice Very Small Pump

I wanted a pump small enough for a seat bag but that can pump to at
least 100 pounds. These apparently are few and far between as road bike
users switch to CO2 cartridges.

That famous company, "Ohuhu," has a very nice small pump.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RJTEESO. A little pricey but it's not all
plastic. eBay has them for a bit less.
Old April 12th 16, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/12/2016 5:04 PM, sms wrote:
I wanted a pump small enough for a seat bag but that can pump to at
least 100 pounds. These apparently are few and far between as road bike
users switch to CO2 cartridges.

That famous company, "Ohuhu," has a very nice small pump.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RJTEESO. A little pricey but it's not all
plastic. eBay has them for a bit less.

From one of Scharf's websites: "We believe in guerilla [sic]
marketing. We engage with the all segments of the bicycling community in
the promotion of our products."

That obviously includes spamming rec.bicycles.tech.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 12th 16, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

illustration of small bicycle pump

https://humidfruit.files.wordpress.c...t-panel-16.jpg
Old April 13th 16, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 3:17:50 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/12/2016 5:04 PM, sms wrote:
I wanted a pump small enough for a seat bag but that can pump to at
least 100 pounds. These apparently are few and far between as road bike
users switch to CO2 cartridges.

That famous company, "Ohuhu," has a very nice small pump.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RJTEESO. A little pricey but it's not all
plastic. eBay has them for a bit less.

From one of Scharf's websites: "We believe in guerilla [sic]
marketing. We engage with the all segments of the bicycling community in
the promotion of our products."

That obviously includes spamming rec.bicycles.tech.

Well, for $14 with Amazon Prime, it might be a bargain -- notwithstanding the guerrilla marketing. However, the statement that these types of pumps are "few and far between" is utter nonsense -- unless you live somewhere with no internet or no decent LBS.
https://www.westernbikeworks.com/search/hand-pumps
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...p?category=134 I have to stop at Universal after work. Maybe I'll buy a few dozen mini-pumps while I'm there.

BTW, in a pump that size, I prefer having a hose because all the short-stroking necessary to get the tire up to pressure can cause valve stem failure. The hose doesn't transmit the movement. YMMV.

-- Jay Beattie.

PS -- It looks like Ohuhu home products is just down the street from SMS in Union City. https://www.facebook.com/ohuhudirect Get the wall clock, too! http://www.amazon.com/Ohuhu%C2%AE-Cu...keywords=ohuhu
Old April 13th 16, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/12/2016 5:04 PM, sms wrote:
I wanted a pump small enough for a seat bag but that can pump to at
least 100 pounds. These apparently are few and far between as road bike
users switch to CO2 cartridges.

That famous company, "Ohuhu," has a very nice small pump.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RJTEESO. A little pricey but it's not all
plastic. eBay has them for a bit less.

From one of Scharf's websites: "We believe in guerilla [sic]
marketing. We engage with the all segments of the bicycling community in
the promotion of our products."

That obviously includes spamming rec.bicycles.tech.

Well, for $14 with Amazon Prime, it might be a bargain -- notwithstanding the guerrilla marketing. However, the statement that these types of pumps are "few and far between" is utter nonsense -- unless you live somewhere with no internet or no decent LBS.
https://www.westernbikeworks.com/search/hand-pumps
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...p?category=134 I have to stop at Universal after work. Maybe I'll buy a few dozen mini-pumps while I'm there.

BTW, in a pump that size, I prefer having a hose because all the short-stroking necessary to get the tire up to pressure can cause valve stem failure. The hose doesn't transmit the movement. YMMV.

The short stroke (or rather, large number of strokes to pump a tire)
usually kills the deal for me. I use a mini pump only with my folding
bike, where portability is a top concern.

In mini pump comparison tests, I think the first data point should be
the number of strokes to reach 100 psi. When these things first came
out, the Nashbar catalog showed those numbers in a table - 300 for one
pump, 275 for another, etc. Within about a year, the table was gone,
probably because it discouraged sales.

PS -- It looks like Ohuhu home products is just down the street from SMS in Union City.

Gosh, what a coincidence!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 13th 16, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 13/04/16 08:17, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/12/2016 5:04 PM, sms wrote:
I wanted a pump small enough for a seat bag but that can pump to at
least 100 pounds. These apparently are few and far between as road bike
users switch to CO2 cartridges.

That famous company, "Ohuhu," has a very nice small pump.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RJTEESO. A little pricey but it's not all
plastic. eBay has them for a bit less.

From one of Scharf's websites: "We believe in guerilla [sic]
marketing. We engage with the all segments of the bicycling community in
the promotion of our products."

That obviously includes spamming rec.bicycles.tech.

He must have a large seat bag. Pump is 7.5" long.

--
JS
Old April 13th 16, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 4/12/2016 5:04 PM, sms wrote:
I wanted a pump small enough for a seat bag but that can pump to at
least 100 pounds. These apparently are few and far between as road bike
users switch to CO2 cartridges.

That famous company, "Ohuhu," has a very nice small pump.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RJTEESO. A little pricey but it's not all
plastic. eBay has them for a bit less.

From one of Scharf's websites: "We believe in guerilla [sic]
[...]

I wrote details of time, strokes and pressure obtained from my Lezyne
mini pump once before, he
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.bicycles.tech/4MW5TdXRF5w/RmfUnPtRHv8J

And in case you can't wait for the browser...

Test results for Lezyne Road Drive mini pump.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55102679@N05/15120888391/

Ty Michelin Krylion, 700x23mm.

The tyre/tube had been inflated. I depressed the valve stem and held it
until there was no perceivable air flow from the tube.

Attached the Lezyne pump, started the stop watch on my phone, and pumped
for 1 minute, while counting the strokes.

130 strokes. Guessed pressure was 80 psi. Attached floor pump with
gauge. One stroke to see that the pressure was indeed 75-80 psi. This
would be enough to get me home in a front tyre.

Reattached the Lezyne pump and pumped for 30 seconds and 50 more strokes.

Checked pressure again with the floor pump. Guessed around 100 psi.
Measured 105 psi. This would get me home in a rear tyre.

Reattached the Lezyne pump and pumped for a further 30 seconds and 50
more strokes.

Checked pressure again with the floor pump. Guessed - flippin' hard.
Measured 130 psi.

So in 2 minutes and 230 strokes I had achieved 130 psi without much
stress. Yes the last 20-30 strokes required some effort to push the air
in, but not Schwarzenegger style strength. I'm built like a lithe
school girl, according to Chalo, remember?

The number of strokes is not a deal killer at all, for me.

--
JS
Old April 13th 16, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 3:27:51 PM UTC-7, wrote:
illustration of small bicycle pump

https://humidfruit.files.wordpress.c...t-panel-16.jpg

What's with the eskimo, and the idol?
Old April 13th 16, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 14:04:02 -0700, sms
wrote:

I wanted a pump small enough for a seat bag but that can pump to at
least 100 pounds. These apparently are few and far between as road bike
users switch to CO2 cartridges.

That famous company, "Ohuhu," has a very nice small pump.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RJTEESO. A little pricey but it's not all
plastic. eBay has them for a bit less.

I never tried 100 psi but my "GIYO Air Supply" pump will easily pump
80 - 90 psi and is 11 inches long. Not a "bag pump" perhaps but comes
with a mount which attaches to the bottle cage bolts.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old April 13th 16, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/12/2016 4:57 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Well, for $14 with Amazon Prime, it might be a bargain -- notwithstanding the guerrilla marketing.

LOL, I have nothing to do with the seller of that pump, other than
buying some of them. Frank needs to watch out for those black
helicopters! Oh wait, my commission check from "Ohuhu" just came, now I
can buy that Rivendell bike I've been lusting after.

However, the statement that these types of pumps are "few and far between" is utter nonsense -- unless you live somewhere with no internet or no decent LBS.
https://www.westernbikeworks.com/search/hand-pumps

I was looking for short pumps, 7.5" ((191mm) or shorter,
Presta/Schrader, that could reach 100 psi, and that are not plastic. I
was willing to trade off a larger number of strokes for the smaller size
pump.

From that page at Western Bike Works, there are two that meet those
rather basic criteria:

LEZYNE Pressure Drive Hand Pump (Small), 170mm, $45
LEZYNE Pressure Drive CFH CO2/Hand Pump, 190mm, $65

Most of the "mini" pumps are quite long and are intended to be mounted
to bottle cage braze-ons or Rivnuts, not carried in a seat bag. So "few"
is not an incorrect statement based on that web page. And annoyingly,
all of these sites often neglect to even mention the length. In the case
of Blackburn, the length was not even on their site.

There should be another classification for"Micro" pumps.

The rather long length of most "mini" pumps probably what led to the
whole CO2 fad. I had to rescue someone on the Golden Gate Bridge who had
a flat and had run out of CO2. I'd much rather bring along a "micro"
pump if weight and size are a concern.