Bad Journalism - Bicycling Lance Article

Old July 25th 04, 10:43 PM
David Reuteler

Default Bad Journalism - Bicycling Lance Article

Bonehenge wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 15:26:04 -0400, "Doug Huffman"
wrote:

No more than I take this post "serious[sic]". An hour? Really?

An hour? G

Try 15 minutes.

you're not reading the advertisements.
--
david reuteler

Old July 26th 04, 03:33 AM
Marlene Blanshay

"tcmedara" wrote in message
WillW wrote:
If Bicycling ever prints or posts another article by Joe Lindsey, or
doesn't print an apology, they will see a large number of magazine
subscription cancellations.

(snipt)

http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefranc...1-9781,00.html

I thought it was a well written piece. The key tip-off being the opening
sub-head were it reads "opinion". I don't agree with everything the guy
writes, nor do I pretend to understand the relationship between Armstrong
and Simeoni (I doubt few do!) In that light, however, I think Lindsey's
opinion is far from extreme. I am a fan of Lance Armstrong and am amazed
with what he's accomplished in cycling, but I'm not so naive to think that
Armstrong can do no wrong. Further, I actually respect a magazine that

will
print the something other than "all Lance, all the time." Frankly the guy
raises some good questions.

...and he didn't "attack" Sheryl Crow. It was merely a good dose of
sarcasm. He was making that a guy dating Sheryl Crow and making $16M a

year
doesn't have to worry about some no-name weasel trying to garner his 15
minutes of fame. You might want to re-read the thing with a more

objective
eye. I congratulate Bicycling for actually publishing something other

than
some marketing goo proclaiming the latest carbon doo-dad that will allow

us
all to "climb like Lance."

That's right, as long as it's an opinion piece, they can publish it and he
can write it.

The guy was wrong about one thing. Simeoni has also had a win in vuelta, a
stage in 2001. I remember it distinctly- he carried his bike across the
finish line and held it over his head.

Old July 26th 04, 04:25 PM
Doug Huffman

And I won't buy BUY-cycling ragazine and I will not read it! The money and
time are better spent on my recumbent bicycles and the road.

Old July 26th 04, 04:26 PM
Roger Zoul

whinds wrote:
:: In article , "Roger Zoul"
:: writes:
::
:::
::: He could have made the point just as well without referring to SC
::: in that matter. I'm sure she would not appreciate it.
:::
::: Besides that, I agree with his opinion. Simeoni is insignificant.
::: LA going after him just really doesn't help the sport or the
::: peloton in any way I can see. And it certainly does suggest
::: "another side" to LA that we, the public and fans, don't often see
::: but we got a glimpse of in the 2004 TdF. Honestly, though, it is
::: not surprising.
:::
::
:: Ignornig the journalist. What Lance did was traditional.

How was it traditional? I haven't been aware of cycling for very long...

He put put
:: Simioni in his place where it counted most, among his fellow riders,
:: his peers.

Well, that makes some sense....keep it among the riders...but it was on TV
in the big daddy of all races...

Old July 26th 04, 05:55 PM
Dave Jackson

In article ,
"Doug Huffman" wrote:

And I won't buy BUY-cycling ragazine and I will not read it! The money and
time are better spent on my recumbent bicycles and the road.

My frustration with this magazine has been that it seems the only
products that make it into there are the ones that quite a few people
wont be able to afford. The reality is that there are very affordable
bikes that don't cost 2k and also are quite rideable. Not that I am
dissing those more expensive bikes because I am not or anyone who rides
them.

Well that peave and "Styleman."

Dave in Minnesota
Old July 26th 04, 10:10 PM
Blue Gator

"David Reuteler" wrote in message
.. .

wrote:

No more than I take this post "serious[sic]". An hour? Really?

An hour? G

Try 15 minutes.

you're not reading the advertisements.
--
david reuteler

What other magazines are recommended? It's been twenty years since I was
riding regularly and Bicycling was about all I read back then.

Arlie C.

Old July 26th 04, 10:24 PM
David Reuteler

Blue Gator wrote:
What other magazines are recommended? It's been twenty years since I was
riding regularly and Bicycling was about all I read back then.

cycling+ is about it. it's UK but i can find it at borders or b&n.
--
david reuteler

Old July 26th 04, 11:17 PM
Blue Gator

"David Reuteler" wrote in message
. ..
Blue Gator wrote:
What other magazines are recommended? It's been twenty years since I

was
riding regularly and Bicycling was about all I read back then.

cycling+ is about it. it's UK but i can find it at borders or b&n.
--
david reuteler

Thanks, David. I'll check it out.

Arlie C.

Old July 27th 04, 05:15 AM
Zippy the Pinhead

wrote:

| What are you doing wasting your time reading/wasting your money buying
| BUY-cycling ragazine in the first place?
|

| Well you can read it in an hour or two. Just don't take it serious.

No more than I take this post "serious[sic]". An hour? Really?

Yeah, really. Try reading it without moving your lips.

Stop signs too.
Old July 28th 04, 05:05 AM
Lars Lehtonen

According to WillW :
Since when is
predicting the surfacing of a colder and spiteful Lance and then looking for
any signs to support that prediction good journalism?

Ever since Armstrong took corporate sponsorship and effectively marketed
himself as Mr. Swell. I'm pleasantly surprised that the American
enthusiast press would go out on such a limb.

---
Lars Lehtonen