MUni discussion thread

Old July 22nd 08, 12:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Adder172

Default MUni discussion thread

i have a -duro- tyre but want an -intence- but they are hard to find in
the UK

--
Adder172

uni-life
Old July 22nd 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wumpus

i run the irc kujo 24x3 and for trail it is great, on flat stuff, the
knobbies are a pain... also my rim is not quite wide enouhg(alex dx)
and so i get tire fold during hopping" excercises.

i jsut went from 165s on my 24 to 150s on a 26... and talk about so
much smoother, I still have enough torque to get up steeps, but
everything is so much smoother

running a 2.6 kenda on my 26 and while I miss the volume of the 3.0 and
fear pinch flats and bottoming out on drops the lack of roll over when
hopping makes pecking and getting over larger obstacles far easier...

--
wumpus
Old July 22nd 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Adder172

hopefully someone oneday will invent such a good tyre that it can
literally roll over everything even a boulder like 7 feet high

--
Adder172

uni-life
Old July 22nd 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
peleschramm

Adder172 wrote:
hopefully someone oneday will invent such a good tyre that it can
literally roll over everything even a boulder like 7 feet high

hopefully one day someone will invent such a good rider that it would
literally be able to roll over a boulder like 7 feet high.

--
peleschramm

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=peleproductions
unicycle for atheism.

www.bedfordunicycles.ca
Old July 22nd 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
smcmorrow

I recently made this documentary about the sport of Muni.

'
A Closer Look at an Obscure Sport: Mountain Unicycling'

I made it for school, so it is aimed towards non-unicyclists.

Tell me what you think.

Peace,
Seamus McMorrow

--
smcmorrow

\"It's knot gonna make it!\" -threeinchtire
Old July 22nd 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
XCcrev

How much does a different tire affect how a muni feels. (I dont have
one) I understand why trials riders prefer different tires better grip
is better for trials. But how does a different tread pattern affect
muni

--
XCcrev

My Vid
'Youtube' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm0AXKU7bQ8)
'vimeo' (http://vimeo.com/825440)
Old July 23rd 08, 01:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

XCcrev wrote:
How much does a different tire affect how a muni feels. (I dont have
one) I understand why trials riders prefer different tires better grip
is better for trials. But how does a different tread pattern affect
muni

I've always been really surprised at how little difference different
setups have. I rode a KH with a 24x3 duro rather than my normal 26x2.6"
gazz, a bit back when my muni broke on a trip, and I borrowed one, and
it made surprisingly little difference. Similarly, I've ridden 26x3
gazz and 26x3 duro and again the difference is not that much.

Hopping up big things the extra weight of the 26x3 makes a difference,
but I find whatever you ride, by half a mile down the trail you'll have
got used to it for general riding.

Borrowing 170 vs my normal 150mm cranks, I found similar, to the point
that I pretty much forgot about the 170s after a couple of miles. The
only time I did notice them was on downhills, where I spun fast enough
to completely lose my feet on the pedals at a speed where I'd normally
still be riding fine.

Joe

--
joemarshall

' old pics' (http://tinyurl.com/56yl2f) 'new zealand pics'
(http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...rshall_photos/) 'new
pics' (http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/joemarshall.org.uk)
Old July 23rd 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
goldenchickenIV

XCcrev wrote:
How much does a different tire affect how a muni feels. (I dont have
one) I understand why trials riders prefer different tires better grip
is better for trials. But how does a different tread pattern affect
muni

I found a big difference between munityres. Nevermind the tread pattern
- that is not my concern - but the sidewalls are. If they aren't thick
enough the wheel will go in any direction apart from the desired, after
you have deflated them a bit. Tyres without thick sidewalls are also
useless for hopping because the thin rubber compresses without
resistance leaving no "bouncyness".

--
goldenchickenIV
Old July 24th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Missed deadline

XCcrev wrote:
How much does a different tire affect how a muni feels. (I dont have
one) I understand why trials riders prefer different tires better grip
is better for trials. But how does a different tread pattern affect
muni

My impressions of the 24X3" Arrow Wide Bite vs my 2.6" Kenda Kinetics
on my Alex DX rim.
http://tinyurl.com/5q948m

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old October 10th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Adder172;1066122 wrote:
hopefully someone oneday will invent such a good tyre that it can
literally roll over everything even a boulder like 7 feet high

That wouldn't be much fun now, would it? If things get too easy, it's no
longer unicycling! I remember when I made the switch from old-school
MUni (a 24" Miyata) to a "real" MUni (DM ATU with 26 x 2.6" Gazzalodi).
Trails that were a fun challenge became sidewalks. I suddenly had a lot
less really challenging trails to choose from in my local area.

smcmorrow wrote:
I recently made this documentary about the sport of Muni.
A Closer Look at an Obscure Sport: Mountain Unicycling

I thought it played very well to a non-uni audience, though only the
first 10 minutes loaded for me. Except for your problem with
encoding/interlacing, which left everyone all jaggy.

napalm wrote:
...the bulk of the muni riders today are all on 24" wheels, with only a
smattering going out to make custom 26" wheels- but i was wondering what
the wisdom with doing with a smaller wheel is?

They're not that small. The assumption is that our 24" rims have 24"
tires on them, but most of these downhill tires are pretty close to 26"
diameter. So 24" is kind of a misnomer, and everyone should bear in mind
that only the rim size is 24". If you're using downhill tires, they're
pretty big.

You can also get 26" tires in downhill versions, but they can be pretty
heavy. I remember riding a 26 x 3" Gazzalodi on a few peoples' MUnis.
Higher speed, but more weight to carry around. If you use more
"conventional" 26" MTB tires, you'll find them a little thin. Not that
many of us didn't use them back in the early days of MUni (see above).
That was before Bruce Bundy discovered the 3" Gazz and suddenly made all
our MUni frames too narrow.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"False facts are frequently formed from figures fabricated from fear
fired fiction." -- Harper