Are there any specific stretches you can do before riding?

Old December 11th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Andy912912

Default Are there any specific stretches you can do before riding?

The title says it all! When I used the search engine and found these two
threads with...not exactly the information I needed.

'Thread #1' (http://tinyurl.com/spqre), about knee hyperextention

'Thread #2' (http://tinyurl.com/y9ultu), about Muni warm-ups for going
uphill. In short, most unicyclist's stretches -are- going uphill.

Also, MSN Live Search(default on my computer) didn't help much. I'm not
sure Google will either. Which of 'these' (http://tinyurl.com/y2s7sm)
stretches should I use, and which ones do I avoid doing(even if because
of lazyness--the ones that are OK to skip)? Or if I missed something on
the billionth page of the engine that was helpful? Any advice(besides
trying again on the search engine) is welcome.

--
Andy912912

What's up with really long signatures?
Andy912912's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12601

Old December 13th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
critter

Stretch it all! It's always a good discipline. Stay limber and use
unicycle for strength. It's a balance workout regiment.
I recommend one hour of stretching or yoga thoughout the day.

But to answer your question, Most unicyclist say no and I agree. You
can get out of bed and go straight to a ride.

--
critter

MUni all the time Brah! I'm looking for win-win situations.

critter's Profile:
http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8739

Old December 13th 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Monocyclist

Before riding I always stretch my legs and back. Then I do a vigorous 15
min 29er ride to warm up. Then i'll switch to my 20 inch, unless i'm
riding distance.

--
Monocyclist
Monocyclist's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13114

Old December 13th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uni.rider.13

Monocyclist wrote:
Before riding I always stretch my legs and back.

How do you stretch your back and legs though.

--
uni.rider.13

Some people call me nuts for riding, other people call me no
nuts.
uni.rider.13's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13011

Old December 13th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

uni.rider.13 wrote:
How do you stretch your back and legs though.

Rubber Bands and Zip ties.

--
Borgschulze

Torker DX!
Borgschulze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13501

Old December 13th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Monocyclist

uni.rider.13 wrote:
How do you stretch your back and legs though.

http://www.1backpain.com/back_exercises.htm

A lot of those also stretch the legs.

Old December 13th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
burjzyntski

the touch-your-toes and the grab-your-food-with-the-opposing-hand are
both great stretches. I do both as soon as I wake up, and I feel better
throughout the day. My mother was a physical therapist and a masseuse
about 20 years ago, so she kills killer backrubs and excellenent
massages.

--
burjzyntski

It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

\"every silver lining has a touch of gray.\"

"In summary: You want to make sure your Koxx is hard enough before you
start drilling."
burjzyntski's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10188

Old December 13th 06, 10:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

Andy912912 wrote:
Which of 'these' (http://tinyurl.com/y2s7sm) stretches should I use, and
which ones do I avoid doing(even if because of lazyness--the ones that
are OK to skip)?

Which stretches you most need depends in part on your body. Some
people need to focus on different areas due to previous injury or just
being naturally tight in that area.

I need to focus on iliotibial band stretches because that area has
given me problems. But that's just me. Here's some IT band stretches:
'IT stretch 1' (http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/itb_stretch/index.html) 'IT
stretch 2' (http://tinyurl.com/vpwww)

That link you have from the roadcycling site lists some of those
stretches.

I also do the leg cross-over (Piriformis) stretch.

Again, that's just where I focus because I've had previous IT band
problems.

Here's a cool video that gives some 'cycling related stretches'
(http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...8674310216097).

The Internet is a horrible place to look for stretching information.
There is lots and lots of info out there, but very little good info
with good pictures and good descriptions. A better source would be to
look in a running book at the local library or at your school library.
Running books typically have a good section on stretching with pictures
and a good description. Running magazines also regularly run sections
on stretching. Most of the running stretches are just as good for
unicycling. Unicycling is like running on pedals. Mix that with some
of the cycling specific stretches from that Google video and you'll be
good.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Dirty Muni
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Old December 13th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Beener

I follow my own self-directed warm-up stretch plan. You have to keep
time to your favorite tune. It goes like this...

Bend and lift and select and close.
pop and lift and sip and relax.
sip and relax,
sip and relax.

But seriously, strecth your knees, legs and back as much as possible.
You will miss both of them when they are gone . They deserve special
attention. Your local physiotherapist will probably help you find lots
of information for free in the hopes that when you wreck yourself, you
will go to him to get fixed

--
Beener

I got your "G" right here!!!!!
Beener's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3817

Old December 14th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Andy912912

That was some good advice! Thank you! Just what I was looking for.

--
Andy912912

What's up with really long signatures?
Andy912912's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12601

MTB-Specific Search Engine EyeDfy Mountain Biking 0 December 5th 06 04:14 PM
looking for a specific tyre dan de man Unicycling 7 July 7th 06 09:58 PM
FS: MultiSport Specific Stretching DVD Coach Lee Marketplace 0 December 2nd 04 11:41 PM
Stretches evil-nick Unicycling 2 June 22nd 04 07:07 PM
Hip or lower back stretches > Australia 9 January 22nd 04 10:51 PM