To Build, or Buy?

Old September 17th 08, 03:16 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
mike[_3_]

Default To Build, or Buy?

This summer, due to money issues, I was unable to purchase the I had
been planning to buy. As a result, I ended up purchasing an Iron Horse
Warrior 3.0 as a big to get me by until next year.
The Warrior 3.0, although heavy, with crap components (Canadian
version) felt comfortable, and the frame with big Kenda Kinetics tires
was at home on the brutal snowmobile trains this season.
Now with Jr. on the way, my bike budget for next year has been cut by
more then half. With +/- $2000 to spend next year, I am kicking the
idea of either a new bike, with better frame, and ok components, or
stick with the Iron Horse Warrior frame, (heavy but comfortable fit),
with a fairly sweet build kit.

Any recommendation or input to this?
Do I go all new and ok? Or year old heavier frame, with sweet
components?

Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmail.com
Old September 17th 08, 02:53 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
bluezfolk

On Sep 16, 9:16*pm, mike wrote:
[...]

I'd go for a new bike. You often find that the cost of upgrades often
isn't a bargain when compared to the bike you want up front. Keep the
warrior as a back up bike.

Eric
Old September 18th 08, 12:08 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
(PeteCresswell)

Per mike:
Any recommendation or input to this?
Do I go all new and ok? Or year old heavier frame, with sweet
components?

Is your body within the normal size range?

If so, I'd think about a third alternative: A good quality used
bike.

I've bought two high-quality bikes new and then sold them. Took
a *major* bath on each. I'd think that's mostly the case.
--
PeteCresswell
Old September 18th 08, 03:25 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
mike[_3_]

On Sep 17, 7:08*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per mike:

Any recommendation or input to this?
Do I go all new and ok? Or year old heavier frame, with sweet
components?

Is your body within the normal size range?

If so, I'd think about a third alternative: A good quality used
bike.

I've bought two high-quality bikes new and then sold them. *Took
a *major* bath on each. * I'd think that's mostly the case.
--
PeteCresswell

Unfortunately, there is not really a used bike market here in Northern
Ontario. Not sure why. Hard to find much.
I am an average size, at 5'10" and ~175lb, I would think that it would
not be that hard to find something, but it is.