More BB Tools!

Old April 8th 16, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default More BB Tools!

FNA, I've got to buy yet another BB tool for the Praxis Works M30 BB on my Roubaix. All of Praxis Works conversion BBs use the Shimano tool, but their M30 -- which is essentially a Shimano standard width with a 30mm hole -- has to use a special, bigger, proprietary tool(s). Their local dealers don't stock them, so I had to order at Universal and wait a few days. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=72335

These BBs get great reviews, but when I used the conversion BB on my CAAD 9, it creaked so badly that I pulled it out, popped in some BB30 bearings and used those Wheels MFG spacers with my Shimano crank. The M30 BB on my Roubaix uses the same basic design -- and creaks even worse. It made a ridiculous amount of noise riding home through the hills yesterday. I was riding with another guy a few weeks ago who had one, and made just as much noise (much to his chagrin). He was later told that the BB was mis-installed (how I don't know -- backwards?), and the shop fixed it. I doubt that it will make a difference, although they do stay quiet for a while after initial installation and subsequent removal and reinstallation with anti-sieze.

I do think the whole press-in bearing thing (both BB30 and conversion BBs) is a money-making conspiracy, particularly after popping in a $16 threaded Ultegra BB in my commuter bike. Decent, non-ceramic BB 30 bearings cost more than that, and you have to press them in and knock them out. My next bike is going to have a standard English threaded BB. I can't feel any difference with the OS press-in BBs, not with a stiff Shimano crank.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 8th 16, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

money and friction are inversely proportional
Old April 9th 16, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 09/04/16 04:42, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

My Campag Ultra Torque cranks are now about 8 years old and I've
replaced the bearings once, at home.

I've never heard it creak, groan or tick.

I don't ride in as much wet weather as you, Jay, but compared with any
other threaded BB I've had, this type wins hands down.

--
JS

Old April 9th 16, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/8/2016 7:14 PM, James wrote:
[...]

I got creaks in my 1986 Cannondale's near-conventional bottom bracket.
Teflon tape cured the creak. Is that a possible solution for the
press-in bearings?

The teflon tape also seemed to be just the thing to tighten up the foot
joint in my flute. Versatile stuff! I even hear rumors you can use it
on plumbing!

But like Jay, I'm not crazy about buying a new tool for every
fashionable new component design. Partly for that reason, I tend to
ride old-fashioned components. They just keep working!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 9th 16, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 4:15:02 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
[...]

The BB30 on my SuperSix is relatively quiet. BB30 can be fine, although it is more labor intensive than using screw-in bearing cups -- either the Campy Ultra Torque approach or the Shimano approach. The Shimano approach is less refined than Ultra Torque, but the BB bearings are cheap and easy to install -- and quiet enough. Nothing stays entirely quiet on a Cannondale that gets wet a lot.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 9th 16, 11:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Patriquen

When I built up my first BB30 bike's BB, I thought "That's it?" Easy-peasy but surely not going last. I took it out and added some of that special Campy-spec purple 222 Loctite to the interface and reassembled. Still OK, but that bike is a bit of a garage queen.

I agree the old sq tapers are tried and true, but also heavy and as discussed, the necessary tools vary. For touring, and after some consideration, I've just gone with Shimano MTB Hollowtech builds. There's a variety of usable doubles and triples with matching derailleurs. The price and availability are good. You can even get 180mm cranks. A Saint BB can be had for $25 and weighs little if you want to carry a spare (if not, you can find one that will fit almost anywhere.

SteveP
Old April 9th 16, 12:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

as said under AUS....put your feet up...

8 years ! mileage ?

Old bike tools [email protected] Techniques 0 October 13th 07 06:10 AM
What tools do I need? elyob UK 9 July 28th 06 01:24 PM
Tools Javier Techniques 22 December 17th 05 05:27 PM
Tools Donald Gillies Techniques 0 December 17th 05 08:53 AM
FS: Tools Dawgwalker Marketplace 0 September 5th 05 01:22 PM