Re-Beginners

Old April 7th 16, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Re-Beginners

My wife has decided, with some serious prodding, to take up riding again to lose some weight and to improve her health. So I've taken her out now 4 times for a less than 20 mile ride. What I would consider dead flat.

When I recovered from my concussion and started riding again with some friends they showed me no mercy and would take me out on 40 mile, lots of climbing rides, four times a week. I remember the first year being so tortuous that I was afraid of every ride. The second year I was afraid of every climb.. From the third year on I stopped being afraid but slowly improving on the climbs to the point where I know when to ride really easy on climbs. I can now do 14 or 15% climbs in a 39/28 though not for far. I can do a continuous 9 to 10% continuous climb for 2 to 3 miles and 6 to 7% climbs all day long.

So it kind of took me by surprise that she could find climbs where I could barely detect a slight rise in the road. Now this is a woman who rode across the USA so it isn't as if she wasn't a good rider at one time.

Any comments how I should handle her training to offer the least pain and suffering for the fastest advance?
Old April 8th 16, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

[...]

Dude, use of the phrase "fastest advance" signals imminent failure. Focus on "least pain and suffering" and hope for some advance. Ride some MUPs. Go visit Joerg and ride the American River Trail. Aren't you in the SCV? The MUPs will be the only places that are flat and that have a little scenery. Take your time and don't be a slave-driver.

My wife was a really good racer. Then she developed a neuromuscular disorder. She has wires in her brain and can barely stand upright let alone ride. But she will get on her little Buzz bike when my son comes home to visit. She would chew off her own arm, run in front of a train and set herself on fire (all at the same time) for her precious only son. The moral of the story (if there is one) is that: (1) you can't push, and (2) you have to find some sort of motivation -- internal or external. You know your wife better than anyone (I hope), so you should be able to figure that one out.

I knew a hausfrau who turned into a pretty good rider because she had a hausfrau co-hort that set their sites on a charity ride. Every charity has a ride. If your wife is into a charity, sign-up for the ride and set that as a training goal. "Honey, it's for a good cause -- saving the endangered South American guinea pigs from fungal disease." Save something.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 8th 16, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

? cross country then went soft....concussion....wires in brain son in Utah with the jeffs.

whoa ! Columbia River water.

there's a lot to it. Stretching, getting knees lubed, doing leg raises so the patellar tendon beefs up, lower back, abdomen, breathing ex

your spousal unit read ?

https://www.google.com/#q=rodale+bicycle+training

Old April 8th 16, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

the assembled Bicycling magazine training prescriptions, one each issue since 1978
is worth flipping thru.

prob have a regimen for SA guinea pigs

http://jackiesguineapiggies.com/guineapigsounds.html

I had a sub when stationery. R interviewed a domestique

Q. how start the training ride

A. get it the big gears n pedal into the wind.
Old April 8th 16, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 12:33:57 AM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
My wife has decided, with some serious prodding, to take up riding again to lose some weight and to improve her health. So I've taken her out now 4 times for a less than 20 mile ride. What I would consider dead flat.

Dude, use of the phrase "fastest advance" signals imminent failure. Focus on "least pain and suffering" and hope for some advance.

I knew a hausfrau who turned into a pretty good rider because she had a hausfrau co-hort that set their sites on a charity ride. Every charity has a ride. If your wife is into a charity, sign-up for the ride and set that as a training goal. "Honey, it's for a good cause -- saving the endangered South American guinea pigs from fungal disease." Save something.

That's a better approach to motivation. She can save the capybara, a four-foot long, two-foot high water-rat, very aggressive, lives down near Puntas Arenas in the Argentine, where a 100-strong horde of them once attacked my helicopter.

Andre Jute
Old April 11th 16, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

? cross country then went soft....concussion....wires in brain son in Utah with the jeffs.

whoa ! Columbia River water.

there's a lot to it. Stretching, getting knees lubed, doing leg raises so the patellar tendon beefs up, lower back, abdomen, breathing ex

your spousal unit read ?

https://www.google.com/#q=rodale+bicycle+training

And actual training regime is out of the question at the moment. Perhaps this summer. Presenting a training program would be very much mistaken for pushing her.
Old April 11th 16, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 12:19:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
? cross country then went soft....concussion....wires in brain son in Utah with the jeffs.

whoa ! Columbia River water.

there's a lot to it. Stretching, getting knees lubed, doing leg raises so the patellar tendon beefs up, lower back, abdomen, breathing ex

your spousal unit read ?

https://www.google.com/#q=rodale+bicycle+training

And actual training regime is out of the question at the moment. Perhaps this summer. Presenting a training program would be very much mistaken for pushing her.

ACH DUNEKPOF ! must begin exercises now