RR: More Moab (Long)

Old April 26th 07, 02:50 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

Default RR: More Moab (Long)

The bi-annual Moab trip started off good, until we actually got there.
A little miss communication meant that Saturday's ride at Soveriegn
Trail wasn't going to happen.

Sunday we headed out to do an endurance ride at Behind The Rocks, Hunter
Canyon and Pritchett Canyon after doing some bike work.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5601.jpg

The shuttled ride beings that the entrance to Behind the Rocks.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5602.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5603.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5604.jpg

As most "trails" in Moab are fire/jeep roads, this was no exception.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5608.jpg

Eventually, it starts to get a little bumpier and a whole lot sandier.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5610.jpg

There was something odd about surfing the sand down this long downhill.
It was like riding in the snow.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5614.jpg

Of course, what goes down must go up. It was just as sandy on the up-slope.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5615.jpg

Girl power in action as Andrea barrels through the sand.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5616.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5617.jpg

There are some nice technical sections every once in a while (in between
the sand). Keith demonstrates the roll.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5618.jpg

The "young ones" pose for their moment of fame.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5622.jpg

More sandy rocky fun.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5623.jpg

And then there is the mother of all technical sections (at least in my
book). This is nose dive hill. Now why do you suppose it's called that?

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5624.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5625.jpg

The mtbers and the jeepers try to figure this monster out.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5626.jpg

The interesting thing here is to see how each sport oohed and ahhed over
the other. The Jeeprs where saying there was no way they can get down
that and the mtbers were saying there is no way they can get down that.
Well, Jason and Tarka proved the jeepers wrong.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5630.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5631.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5632.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5633.jpg

Yes, the jeepers proved the MTBers wrong as well.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5636.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5638.jpg

A stop to take in the La Salles.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5639.jpg

Some more riding behind the rock.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5642.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5643.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5644.jpg

And an arch.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5645.jpg

More technical fun before we head into Hunter Canyon.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5650.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5651.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5652.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5658.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5659.jpg

Let's just say Hunter Canyon was more like Hell Canyon. A sandy
freaking mess!

Pritchett Canyon provided some more technical fun and our first carnage

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5664.jpg

Mark split his lip open after a header and had seven stitches applied
after riding out ten miles.

One very LONG ride.

GPS Stuff:

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/btrpro.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/btrtop.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/btrsat.jpg

Monday was a wash-out. We sat around and played cards all day. Oh well.

Tuesday sent us over for Amasa Back. Great trail! There's a little
something for everyone there. Technical, downhill, climbing, views,
playgroubds, and even singletrack.

We started at the lower parking area and climbed to the trailhead. Why,
I have no freaking idea.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5670.jpg

It started off with this little number (the secret line is on the right).

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5673.jpg

Then we get to cross this... Can you say cold?

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5675.jpg

Then climb this...

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5676.jpg

The moments do get better and the views are just incredible!

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5677.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5678.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5679.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5680.jpg

Lots of fun variety to play with.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5684.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5685.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5686.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5687.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5688.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5690.jpg

Some of the group, including myself.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5697.jpg

Did I mention vistas?

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5698.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5699.jpg

Keepin' it movin'!

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5702.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5703.jpg

It's just a few rocks, but I like it.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5704.jpg

There's even a few miles of singletrack that "some" locals will tell you
where to look. We had a few who already knew plus a Arches National
Park Ranger who did the ride with us.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5707.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5709.jpg

And it takes you to more vistas...

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5712.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5716.jpg

and a great slickrock playground.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5718.jpg

More views round it out before heading back out (and downhill) to the car.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5720.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/IMG_5723.jpg

GPS Stuff

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/042407/amatop.jpg

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old April 26th 07, 05:52 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
The bi-annual Moab trip started off good, until we actually got there. A
little miss communication meant that Saturday's ride at Soveriegn Trail
wasn't going to happen.

Sunday we headed out to do an endurance ride at Behind The Rocks, Hunter
Canyon and Pritchett Canyon after doing some bike work.

Nice photos. I've camped and hiked around the Behind the Rocks area.
Beautiful spot. Looks like fun (but too much sand).

Too bad about that guy's lip. Ouch!

Matt
Old April 26th 07, 10:53 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

On Apr 25, 7:50 pm, Ride-A-Lot wrote:
[...]

Nice! But next time, take some pictures, will ya? btw, I love
Amasaback, so did you get the obligatory shots from Buzzard's Bluff?
And did you ride Jacob's Ladder?
But anyway, way to get after it.

CDB

Old April 26th 07, 11:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

Paladin wrote:
Nice! But next time, take some pictures, will ya? btw, I love
Amasaback, so did you get the obligatory shots from Buzzard's Bluff?
And did you ride Jacob's Ladder?
But anyway, way to get after it.

CDB

That's half the photos I took. I have some video coming soon, but not
with the helmet cam (too long of a ride to wear the thing).

If you mean the lookout point over the potash mine, yes.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old April 30th 07, 08:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
pete fagerlin

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

There's even a few miles of singletrack that "some" locals will tell you
where to look. We had a few who already knew plus a Arches National
Park Ranger who did the ride with us.

It's too bad that "your "locals" only told you about the trail
out to Pothole Arch, leaving you with the descent back down
the traditional Amasa route.

Getting to Pothole you rode right by the entrance to
Rockstacker, which in turn leads to Jackson's.
Old April 30th 07, 08:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

pete fagerlin wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:

There's even a few miles of singletrack that "some" locals will tell
you where to look. We had a few who already knew plus a Arches
National Park Ranger who did the ride with us.

It's too bad that "your "locals" only told you about the trail out to
Pothole Arch, leaving you with the descent back down the traditional
Amasa route.

Getting to Pothole you rode right by the entrance to Rockstacker, which
in turn leads to Jackson's.

We knew about it, but I honestly do not know why we didn't take it. It
may have been when the group split in two with the younger crew going to
play longer on the slickrock area. After one of the gals attempted a
wall ride and landed flat on her ass with a huge berry (there is a pic
floating around somewhere), I decided I had enough slickrock fun for a day.

The regular route down was fun, well a lot more than going up it was.
It was late enough that there weren't any riders heading up.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old April 30th 07, 09:10 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Apr 30, 12:15 pm, pete fagerlin wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
There's even a few miles of singletrack that "some" locals will tell you
where to look. We had a few who already knew plus a Arches National
Park Ranger who did the ride with us.

It's too bad that "your "locals" only told you about the trail
out to Pothole Arch, leaving you with the descent back down
the traditional Amasa route.

Getting to Pothole you rode right by the entrance to
Rockstacker, which in turn leads to Jackson's.

Tim was talking too much up until the point he realized the barneys
would ruin the goods he was finding.

JD

Old April 30th 07, 11:38 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
pete fagerlin

JD wrote:

Tim was talking too much up until the point he realized the barneys
would ruin the goods he was finding.

Tim keeps things much, much closer to his vest but Rockstacker
is as bulletproof as can be given that it's 98.87695% rock and
even if you've ridden it a few times, is someone difficult to
follow (as Kevin and I found out once again on Thursday!)
Old May 1st 07, 09:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Apr 30, 3:38 pm, pete fagerlin wrote:
JD wrote:
Tim was talking too much up until the point he realized the barneys
would ruin the goods he was finding.

Tim keeps things much, much closer to his vest but Rockstacker
is as bulletproof as can be given that it's 98.87695% rock and
even if you've ridden it a few times, is someone difficult to
follow (as Kevin and I found out once again on Thursday!)

You creep. How was your trip?

JealousD

Old May 1st 07, 10:06 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
pete fagerlin

JD wrote:
Tim was talking too much up until the point he realized the barneys
would ruin the goods he was finding.

Tim keeps things much, much closer to his vest but Rockstacker
is as bulletproof as can be given that it's 98.87695% rock and
even if you've ridden it a few times, is someone difficult to
follow (as Kevin and I found out once again on Thursday!)

You creep. How was your trip?

We smuggled 5 1/2 cases of big bottles through the zion
curtain for the barleywine ride.

Stone Ruination
Stone Old Guardian
Stone Epic
Stone IPA
Stone Stout something or other
Moylan's Barleywine
Moylan's Double IPA
Marin White Knuckle Double IPA

Knolly brought Negro Modelo (?) and two 40s of Olde English 800.

Quintin brought a case of Unita Barlywine.

I probably left some out.

You also missed some great riding, but you already know that.