One of the oldest Bike shops in Ontario closes

Old February 23rd 14, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default One of the oldest Bike shops in Ontario closes

Braun's Cycle of Kitchener Ontario looks like it has just closed down.
Along with Schipplings, which it purchaced a couple years ago, they
have been in business for well over 100 years.
Old February 23rd 14, 06:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, February 22, 2014 8:43:12 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Braun's Cycle of Kitchener Ontario looks like it has just closed down.

Along with Schipplings, which it purchaced a couple years ago, they

have been in business for well over 100 years.

Established in 1925, Interesting that just a few years ago they opened two or three other stores that didn't last that long and moved the location of their flagship store.

I sincerely hope that customers can get their bicycles back without having a lot of hassles getting them back an in good condition too.

Cheers
Old February 23rd 14, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 2:43:12 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Braun's Cycle of Kitchener Ontario looks like it has just closed down.

Along with Schipplings, which it purchaced a couple years ago, they

have been in business for well over 100 years.

Internet changed it all. You can get all the information you want within a couple of mouse clicks, the prices are better and as the service of the webshops improved dramatically over the years one can ask what the added value of a real shop is concerning the purchase of a new bike.

Lou
Old February 23rd 14, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 12:40:24 PM UTC-5, Lou Holtman wrote:
On Sunday, February 23, 2014 2:43:12 AM UTC+1, wrote:

Braun's Cycle of Kitchener Ontario looks like it has just closed down.

Along with Schipplings, which it purchaced a couple years ago, they

have been in business for well over 100 years.

Internet changed it all. You can get all the information you want within a couple of mouse clicks, the prices are better and as the service of the webshops improved dramatically over the years one can ask what the added value of a real shop is concerning the purchase of a new bike.

Lou

Where do you take your bike if you do need to have something fixed you can't do yourself? |How about lookng at new equipment or test riding a bike? Brick and Mortar stores are about the only option. Like you said, sales of bikes and parts online are killing the brick and mortar shops. Brick and mortar shops rely on sales of accessories or service/repairs to make their money. First it was thye demise of the Mom and Pop bicycle shops. Soon there won't be hardly any Brick and Mortar shops either. Sad, very sad.

Cheers
Old February 23rd 14, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Just did a bottom bracket rethread for a gentleman who was
told at one of the Great Chinese Bicycle Selling Company
stores that a new bike was the best, and only, solution.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 23rd 14, 09:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 2:20:32 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Soon there won't be hardly any Brick and Mortar shops either. Sad, very sad.

I think it's more likely that there will be more and more dominance by the mass market retailers - *-mart, the Dick's Sporting Goods chain, etc.

I recall many years ago going into a Sears store. They had a couple dozen bikes on the floor, plus one shinier one on a pedestal high above the rest. It had a "Sears Best!" sign on it, and it had its brake levers installed upside down.

- Frank Krygowski
Old February 23rd 14, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 12:50:49 -0800, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 2:20:32 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Soon there won't be hardly any Brick and Mortar shops either. Sad, very
sad.

I think it's more likely that there will be more and more dominance by
the mass market retailers - *-mart, the Dick's Sporting Goods chain,
etc.

I recall many years ago going into a Sears store. They had a couple
dozen bikes on the floor, plus one shinier one on a pedestal high above
the rest. It had a "Sears Best!" sign on it, and it had its brake
levers installed upside down.

Heh! Sounds about right. I bought an outrageously cheap BSO at a mall dept
store once. I had tools in my bag and sorted the brakes on the shop floor
for the 10 miles home. Left the shop got astride my new cheap steed and
promptly crashed as the handlebars were loose.
--
davethedave
Old February 23rd 14, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 8:20:32 PM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Yes service and repair could be the added value, but like in this case few shops can make a living out of that. The value of test rides are overrated IMO and no small shop can afford to stock enough bikes (types and sizes) to let a test ride be meaningful in the first place. If I recall correctly you ride some vintage stuff. Do you think a shop could make a living out off selling some brake pads and cables every two years?
Here fixing a flat on a Dutch city bike with a full chain case is a pain in the ass, so people bring their bike to a bike shop to do that. If they hear that it will cost 10-15 euro they think they are ripped off. How about that? If a stranger comes to me and ask me to fix a flat on a rear tire on a Dutch city bike with a full chain case with a gear hub and drum brakes for 10 euro I will tell him to look for someone else.

Lou
Old February 24th 14, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 5:36:39 PM UTC-5, Lou Holtman wrote:

Here fixing a flat on a Dutch city bike with a full chain case is a pain in the ass, so people bring their bike to a bike shop to do that. If they hear that it will cost 10-15 euro they think they are ripped off. How about that? If a stranger comes to me and ask me to fix a flat on a rear tire on a Dutch city bike with a full chain case with a gear hub and drum brakes for 10 euro I will tell him to look for someone else.

Could you explain what steps are necessary to fix a rear flat on a full-chaincase bike? I'm curious, and the only such bikes I've seen here have been in museums.

Thanks.

- Frank Krygowski
Old February 24th 14, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Could you explain what steps are necessary to fix a rear flat on a full-chaincase bike? I'm curious, and the only such bikes I've seen here have been in museums.

first off tellum to leave the bike n come back tomorrow afternoon...

https://www.google.com/#q=sporting+g...chener+ontario

https://www.google.com/#q=bicycle+sa...ntario&spell=1

https://www.google.com/#q=sporting+g...chener+ontario

Dinah watch the video but print suggested slippery accounting leading to failure