Make your own custom color bicycle helmet

Old February 27th 14, 02:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Make your own custom color bicycle helmet

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/28/full_colour_3d_printer/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FglwisdGMH8
All you need is a Stratasys Objet500 Connex3 color 3D printer for
about $350,000. Soon, everyone will be making their own color bicycle
components and accessories.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old February 27th 14, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

use the clips for chain n roller cleaning, sram link holding, ???

day stopped shipping you know.

The opener needs filing in the grip notch.

I read yawl drink mountain spring water at Santa Cruz...but the hot tip is offshore drug runners.

Rather than inshore drug runners who are off course abundant.

we ahtributed your absence due to wrok overload from xmass electronics failures.

Old February 27th 14, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 9:22:06 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/28/full_colour_3d_printer/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FglwisdGMH8

All you need is a Stratasys Objet500 Connex3 color 3D printer for
about $350,000. Soon, everyone will be making their own color bicycle
components and accessories.

Cute! Maybe I can 3d print a cotton or wool cycling cap?

We've got a national institute in town doing developmental work on 3d printing.
And one place that I worked for a while used it pretty extensively for very
complex-shaped prototypes. This was about 1990.

I'm hearing that with the inexpensive machines, at least, surface finish
is still pretty crude, with the built-up layers quite obvious. And with
many shapes, it's not just "model it and print it." For example, some
portions of parts need temporary support structures as they're being printed,
so they don't collapse while the build is going on, i.e. before the rest of
the structure is in place.

Like many things, it's apparently not as easy as it looks.

- Frank Krygowski
Old February 27th 14, 07:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 19:58:30 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 9:22:06 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/28/full_colour_3d_printer/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FglwisdGMH8

All you need is a Stratasys Objet500 Connex3 color 3D printer for
about $350,000. Soon, everyone will be making their own color bicycle
components and accessories.

Cute! Maybe I can 3d print a cotton or wool cycling cap?

Sure. However it wouldn't be very flexible if you use hard plastic
(ABS, UV cureable acrylic). Maybe some of the rubbery stuff (flex
PLA) will be more comfortable. On the other hand, it wouldn't really
need to be flexible if you laser scan your head for a perfect fit.
http://www.mgxbymaterialise.com/principal-collection/families/mgxmodel/detail/detail/146

We've got a national institute in town doing developmental work on 3d printing.
And one place that I worked for a while used it pretty extensively for very
complex-shaped prototypes. This was about 1990.

I'm hearing that with the inexpensive machines, at least, surface finish
is still pretty crude, with the built-up layers quite obvious.

Yep. I was just reading in Machine Design magazine some advice that
included comments on surface finish. Unfortunately, I can't recall
the advice and don't want to get wet recovering the magazine from the
car.

And with
many shapes, it's not just "model it and print it."

I made a large hollow nut and bolt as a toy on a Vellman K8200.
http://www.k8200.eu
I had about 0.025" thread clearance, which should have been enough had
my surface roughness been less than 0.025". It wasn't and therefore
the nut and bolt didn't fit. Some filing fixed it. I've also seen
the reverse happen. Someone built a pin and sleeve affair that fit
together well when made on a 3D printer, but was really sloppy when
machined from metal.

For example, some
portions of parts need temporary support structures as they're being printed,
so they don't collapse while the build is going on, i.e. before the rest of
the structure is in place.

Unless you're making chains, "hinges" shouldn't be that thin. I
vaguely recall that 0.030" is about the minimum for the hard plastics
and then only over a small span with some support framework.

Like many things, it's apparently not as easy as it looks.

Yep. Especially when I don't read the book, follow instructions, pay
attention, or use common sense. Learn by Destroying(tm).

Don't forget about my proposed plastic bicycle. 3D printing might
make it happen sooner than you think.

Old February 27th 14, 12:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I'm now retro fixed in video....amazingly using the onboard MiFi Dell fixing a no start steering interlock....UTUBE ! the demiser of RBT.

But this here 3D Printer....what are the useful functions for producing knowledge or $$$...gotta overview link ?

Old February 27th 14, 01:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=mtr
Old February 27th 14, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:14:30 AM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Yep. I was just reading in Machine Design magazine some advice that
included comments on surface finish. Unfortunately, I can't recall
the advice and don't want to get wet recovering the magazine from the
car.

Ah, _Machine Design_. That magazine is one of the things I really miss,
since retiring!

- Frank Krygowski
Old February 27th 14, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 08:04:03 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:14:30 AM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Yep. I was just reading in Machine Design magazine some advice that
included comments on surface finish. Unfortunately, I can't recall
the advice and don't want to get wet recovering the magazine from the
car.

Ah, _Machine Design_. That magazine is one of the things I really miss,
since retiring!

I get the printed version 3rd or 4th hand. I'm the last one in the
chain and usually get issues when they're about 3 months out of date.
Finding time to read them and space to store them are the major
problems. There's quite a bit of new technology in Machine Design,
Design News, and similar rags to keep me simultaneously inspired and
confused.
http://mechanicalengineeringmagazine.com
Mostly, I read the magazines online on my desktop or on a newly
acquired Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" slab. There's no way to read the
magazine from cover to cover, so I just bookmark the table of contents
for articles of interest and read only those.

Favorite entertainment column is Design News "Made by Monkeys", which
highlights design, assembly, and support problems:
http://www.designnews.com/archives.asp?section_id=1367

Try some online subscriptions and see if it works for you. It's going
to take some lifestyle and eyeglasses prescription changes in order to
read online effectively, but its worthwhile if you want to stay up to
date with the latest goodies and methods.

Old February 27th 14, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 23:14:30 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Yep. I was just reading in Machine Design magazine some advice that
included comments on surface finish. Unfortunately, I can't recall
the advice and don't want to get wet recovering the magazine from the
car.

I lied. It was Design News magazine.
http://www.designnews.com
Oct 2013 Pg 14, in the "Design Decisions" column.
http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?doc_id=267254
The 2nd bullet is my reference to obtaining a smooth surface finish.
The 5th bullet refers to my problems with mating threads.
The 1st and 6th bullets refer to problems with thin walls, hinges, and
possibly weak structures that collapse when built.

Old February 27th 14, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

WHADDYA DO SCREW UP Pastis drawing system ?