A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Social Issues
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Another idiot mountain biker!



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old May 16th 14, 05:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 538
Default Another idiot mountain biker!

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Edward Dolan wrote:

There is never any consistency to the accidents and deaths of
hikers and campers other than falls. With mountain biking accidents and deaths,
there is total consistency.They are all the same which is why it makes for
tiring reading. The main thing that impacts hikers and campers at high
elevations is the weather. Not so with bikers. The main thing that impacts them
is negotiating the trail itself. That says it all!


Ed, that's not at all what the report says. There is a significant consistency to all accidents, as the chairman's summary, right at the start of the report, highlights. The trail is uneven so people trip and fall and hurt themselves. Weather changes unexpectedly which catches out the ill-prepared. People fail to consider the real challenges of a hike (or indeed ride) and find that they don't have the physical endurance to complete it. These are common, and recurring, situations as the report makes clear.


The trips and falls that hikers take are not to be compared with the kind of falls that bikers take. Do try to get some common sense if possible.

Mountain biking done normally is extremely dangerous. "Mistakes" have

nothing to do with it. Other outdoor activities such as hiking and camping done
normally are not dangerous. That is the difference.


Then why don't the statistics show this ? For the simple reason that it's just not true. Any kind of endeavour in untramelled territory carries inherent risks whether on foot or bike.


The risks are not the same.as a visit to any nearby ER would inform you.

No, Ed, mountain biking done normally is a relatively safe

activity. It is not as safe as hiking, I'll give you that, but safer than
a lot of other sports such as rugby, skiing and american football to name just
three. And, unlike you, I can back that up with real figures from
independent bodies such as the BMA who have no axe to grind either way.

You are quite right to class mountain biking along side
of other sports. Hiking is not a sport. It is a pastime. It is for folks trying
to connect with nature and their own past as creatures of this earth. Find
another playground for your sport. It has no place on hiking
trails.


I am also quite right as to the risks ... because I didn't come up with those figures they are from independent third parties.


Your figures are nuts. Read some actual reports of accidents and deaths.

And what gives you the right to tell the rest of us how we may enjoy ourselves ? The answer, of course, is nothing ... so enjoy the trails as you see fit and stop obsessing over what others do. It's none of your business.


The idiotic injuries that mountain bikers suffer from trying to ride their bikes on hiking trails is a cost to society, both the rescues and the medical treatments. It is everyone's business when innocents are being led to injury and even death by idiots like you who have no regard for anyone or anything besides your own pleasures of the moment. You do what you do for thrills and spills. You actually belong in an asylum for the insane.

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great


Ads
  #12  
Old May 20th 14, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 214
Default Another idiot mountain biker!

There is never any consistency to the accidents and deaths of

hikers and campers other than falls. With mountain biking accidents

and deaths,

there is total consistency.They are all the same which is why it makes

for

tiring reading. The main thing that impacts hikers and campers at high



elevations is the weather. Not so with bikers. The main thing that

impacts them

is negotiating the trail itself. That says it all!


*

Ed, that's not at all what the report says.* There is a

significant consistency to all accidents, as the chairman's summary, right at
the start of the report, highlights.* The trail is uneven so people trip
and fall and hurt themselves.* Weather changes unexpectedly which catches
out the ill-prepared.* People fail to consider the real challenges of a
hike (or indeed ride) and find that they don't have the physical endurance to
complete it.* These are common, and recurring, situations as the report
makes clear.

*

The trips and falls that hikers take are not to be compared
with the kind of falls that bikers take. Do try to get some common sense if
possible.


Do try and stay on topic. Where did I suggest that they were the same ... I didn't !

However, what I have done is refuted your proposition that hikers were somehow immune to accidents unless they did something very stupid. As the report shows, that's not the case.

Mountain biking done normally is extremely dangerous. "Mistakes"

have
nothing to do with it. Other outdoor activities such as hiking and

camping done
normally are not dangerous. That is the difference.


Then why don't the statistics show this ?* For the simple

reason that it's just not true.* Any kind of endeavour in untramelled
territory carries inherent risks whether on foot or bike.

The risks are not the same.as a visit to any nearby ER would
inform you.


Can you stay on topic for five seconds. I never said the risks were the same. I simply pointed out that hiking does have risks which means that there are an appreciable number of incidents.

I am also quite right as to the risks ... because I didn't come up

with those figures they are from independent third parties.

Your figures are nuts. Read some actual reports of accidents
and deaths.


Why ? What would that prove ? I can send you a report, which I know to be true, of a man who died in his own bathroom when he slipped in the shower. What does that tell us ? That showering is inherently dangerous ... of course not.

Unless you know the injuries and fatalities as a percentage of the total number of exposures you know absolutely nothing about the actual danger level involved.

Look at car driving as an example; there are many, many fatalities every day ... but you have to compare that with the total number of journeys taken to understand that the risk you face when getting in your car is fairly low.. It's also, by the by, way higher than going for a ride on your mountainbike though.

And what gives you the right to tell the rest of us how we may

enjoy ourselves ?* The answer, of course, is nothing ... so enjoy the
trails as you see fit and stop obsessing over what others do.* It's none of
your business.

The idiotic injuries that mountain bikers suffer from trying
to ride their bikes on hiking trails is a cost to society, both the rescues and
the medical treatments.


It's a lot less than the costs incurred by coronary disease !

  #13  
Old May 22nd 14, 05:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 538
Default Another idiot mountain biker!

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...
[...]

Ed, that's not at all what the report says. There is a

significant consistency to all accidents, as the chairman's summary, right at
the start of the report, highlights. The trail is uneven so people trip
and fall and hurt themselves. Weather changes unexpectedly which catches
out the ill-prepared. People fail to consider the real challenges of a
hike (or indeed ride) and find that they don't have the physical endurance to
complete it. These are common, and recurring, situations as the report
makes clear.


Edward Dolan wrote:

The trips and falls that hikers take are not to be compared
with the kind of falls that bikers take. Do try to get some common sense if
possible.


Do try and stay on topic. Where did I suggest that they were the same ... I didn't !


However, what I have done is refuted your proposition that hikers were somehow immune to accidents unless they did something very stupid. As the report shows, that's not the case.


“The trips and falls that hikers take are not to be compared with the kind of falls that bikers take. Do try to get some common sense if possible.” – Ed Dolan

Mountain biking done normally is extremely dangerous. "Mistakes"

have
nothing to do with it. Other outdoor activities such as hiking and

camping done
normally are not dangerous. That is the difference.


Then why don't the statistics show this ? For the simple

reason that it's just not true. Any kind of endeavour in untramelled
territory carries inherent risks whether on foot or bike.

The risks are not the same.as a visit to any nearby ER would
inform you.


Can you stay on topic for five seconds. I never said the risks were the same. I simply pointed out that hiking does have risks which means that there are an appreciable number of incidents.


If the risks are not the same, then you are comparing apples to oranges – and who cares? Even an idiot like you knows that bike injuries tend to be serious whereas hiker injuries tend to be trivial. Your so-called topic is as irrelevant as you are.

I am also quite right as to the risks ... because I didn't come up

with those figures they are from independent third parties.

Your figures are nuts. Read some actual reports of accidents
and deaths.


Why ? What would that prove ? I can send you a report, which I know to be true, of a man who died in his own bathroom when he slipped in the shower. What does that tell us ? That showering is inherently dangerous ... of course not.


Unless you know the injuries and fatalities as a percentage of the total number of exposures you know absolutely nothing about the actual danger level involved.


Look at car driving as an example; there are many, many fatalities every day ... but you have to compare that with the total number of journeys taken to understand that the risk you face when getting in your car is fairly low. It's also, by the by, way higher than going for a ride on your mountainbike though.


I do not trust any of your so-called “data” to be true. The only perspective that matters is the one you get from actually being on a trail and having or witnessing an accident. That is what newspapers are for – to report actual events. How many airliners have to drop into the ocean before something is done about it?

And what gives you the right to tell the rest of us how we may

enjoy ourselves ? The answer, of course, is nothing ... so enjoy the
trails as you see fit and stop obsessing over what others do. It's none of
your business.

The idiotic injuries that mountain bikers suffer from trying
to ride their bikes on hiking trails is a cost to society, both the rescues and
the medical treatments.


It's a lot less than the costs incurred by coronary disease !


People get the diseases of old age no matter what. Riding a bike on a trail prevents nothing, but causes plenty of life threatening injuries. I am convinced you are an idiot!

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

  #14  
Old May 22nd 14, 10:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 214
Default Another idiot mountain biker!

Can you stay on topic for five seconds. I never said the
risks were the same. I simply pointed out that hiking does have risks
which means that there are an appreciable number of incidents.

If the risks are not the same, then you are comparing apples
to oranges - and who cares?


No, Ed, I'm referencing a report which contains accounts of rescues of both bikers and hikers. A hiker is unlikely to fall off a bike ... statement of the bloody obvious ... but both are subject to terrain, weather and location based perils which result in accidents.

Even an idiot like you knows that bike injuries tend
to be serious whereas hiker injuries tend to be trivial. Your so-called topic is
as irrelevant as you are.


Yet the Lake District report contains accounts of hiking fatalities ... that's not what I'd call trivial ... would you ?

Your statement is, again, refuted by the facts.

Unless you know the injuries and fatalities as a percentage of

the total number of exposures you know absolutely nothing about the actual
danger level involved.

Look at car driving as an example; there are many, many

fatalities every day ... but you have to compare that with the total number of
journeys taken to understand that the risk you face when getting in your car is
fairly low. It's also, by the by, way higher than going for a ride on your
mountainbike though.

I do not trust any of your so-called "data" to be true. The
only perspective that matters is the one you get from actually being on a trail
and having or witnessing an accident. That is what newspapers are for - to
report actual events. How many airliners have to drop into the ocean before
something is done about it?


It's not my data Ed ... I'm referencing data that I've simply bothered to look up and read. If you think that the only thing that matters is what you experience then so be it ... but I will then automatically discount anything you say which doesn't directly relate to your own trails. You can't have it both ways.

Also, now, perhaps I realise what you mean about representing all 'serious' hikers. It's the people that you know, with whom you hike and happen to live in one small location in one state of the US. I'm happy to concede that you probably do represent all 'serious hikers' in that location ... but have nothing in any way relevant to say about anywhere else.

The idiotic injuries that mountain bikers suffer from trying


to ride their bikes on hiking trails is a cost to society, both the

rescues and

the medical treatments.


It's a lot less than the costs incurred by coronary disease


People get the diseases of old age no matter what. Riding a
bike on a trail prevents nothing, but causes plenty of life threatening
injuries. I am convinced you are an idiot!


You are convinced of many things .. many of them provably wrong.

PREMATURE coronary disease is on the rise largely due to sedentary lifestyles. The human body is designed to move and be active ... bereft that it tends to go wrong.
  #15  
Old May 24th 14, 06:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 538
Default Another idiot mountain biker!

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Can you stay on topic for five seconds. I never said the

risks were the same. I simply pointed out that hiking does have risks
which means that there are an appreciable number of incidents.


Edward Dolan wrote:

If the risks are not the same, then you are comparing apples
to oranges - and who cares?


No, Ed, I'm referencing a report which contains accounts of rescues of both bikers and hikers. A hiker is unlikely to fall off a bike ... statement of the bloody obvious ... but both are subject to terrain, weather and location based perils which result in accidents.


A hiker has an accident – no big deal. A biker has an accident - damn near fatal. The risks are not the same. That is what is bloody obvious!

Even an idiot like you knows that bike injuries tend
to be serious whereas hiker injuries tend to be trivial. Your so-called topic is
as irrelevant as you are.


Yet the Lake District report contains accounts of hiking fatalities .... that's not what I'd call trivial ... would you ?


Your statement is, again, refuted by the facts.


Hiker fatalities are extremely rare. Biker fatalities are quite common. Hiker faltiies are usually interesting to read about because of their unique qualities. Biker fatalities are totally predictable and dull as hell to read about because they are all the same. The reason they are all the same is because bikes do not belong on trails. By the way, climber fatalities don’t count as that is not the same thing as trekking. It is as stupid to climb as it is to bike on a trail.
[...]

Also, now, perhaps I realise what you mean about representing all 'serious' hikers. It's the people that you know, with whom you hike and happen to live in one small location in one state of the US. I'm happy to concede that you probably do represent all 'serious hikers' in that location ... but have nothing in any way relevant to say about anywhere else.


I spent 10 years doing nothing but hiking full time year around out West in the late 60’s and early 70’s when I was in my 30’s. No bikes on trails during all that time. I later spent just a couple of years hiking in the Aspen, Colorado area in the 80’s when I first ran into bikes on trails. I never met another hiker who approved of this usage. Minnesota is not prime hiking country so there is not much in the way of conflicts here. But even so, all hikers prefer to have the trails reserved only for walkers. Positively no bikes on trails. Plenty of roads are available for biking everywhere in the world.
[...]

PREMATURE coronary disease is on the rise largely due to sedentary lifestyles. The human body is designed to move and be active ... bereft that it tends to go wrong.


Coronary disease is directly related to aging. The older you get, the more likely you are to have a cardio-vascular disease that is going to give you trouble. It is classically a condition of old age which can easily begin in your 50’s. Yes, that is old! I think diet has a lot more to do with it than being sedentary. In any event, only an idiot would suggest mountain biking as a preventative when the dangers of doing that can easily lead to a blunt force type of injury which can result in a PREMATURE death.

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great


  #16  
Old May 27th 14, 02:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 214
Default Another idiot mountain biker!

No, Ed, I'm referencing a report which contains accounts of
rescues of both bikers and hikers. A hiker is unlikely to fall off a bike
... statement of the bloody obvious ... but both are subject to terrain, weather
and location based perils which result in accidents.

A hiker has an accident - no big deal. A biker has an accident
- damn near fatal. The risks are not the same. That is what is bloody
obvious!


So, a hiker fatality is "no big deal" ? I think you will find a few in the report I posted.

I never said the risks were the same but what I did do was quantify them and mountainbiking is a lot safer than you would like it portrayed and hiking considerably more dangerous.

Yet the Lake District report contains accounts of hiking

fatalities ... that's not what I'd call trivial ... would you ?

Your statement is, again, refuted by the facts.


Hiker fatalities are extremely rare. Biker fatalities are
quite common.


Read the report Ed ... fatalities of either are rare.

Hiker faltiies are usually interesting to read about because of
their unique qualities.


Again, I suggest you read first. They are pretty predictable .. broken bones, exposure, exhaustion and terrain issues (falling off it usually). That's hardly rare or exceptional.

more nonsense snipped

  #17  
Old May 28th 14, 07:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 538
Default Another idiot mountain biker!

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

No, Ed, I'm referencing a report which contains accounts of

rescues of both bikers and hikers. A hiker is unlikely to fall off a bike
... statement of the bloody obvious ... but both are subject to terrain, weather
and location based perils which result in accidents.


Edward Dolan wrote:

A hiker has an accident - no big deal. A biker has an accident
- damn near fatal. The risks are not the same. That is what is bloody
obvious!


So, a hiker fatality is "no big deal" ? I think you will find a few in the report I posted.


I never said the risks were the same but what I did do was quantify them and mountainbiking is a lot safer than you would like it portrayed and hiking considerably more dangerous.


You need to compare the number of hiker fatalities with the number of mountain biker fatalities. The causes of what led to the deaths would be of interest too.

Yet the Lake District report contains accounts of hiking

fatalities ... that's not what I'd call trivial ... would you ?

Your statement is, again, refuted by the facts.


Hiker fatalities are extremely rare. Biker fatalities are
quite common.


Read the report Ed ... fatalities of either are rare.


Fatalities are of course rare for both, but not as rare for mountain bikers. However, accidents not resulting in fatalities are not rare. And mountain biker accidents tend to be far more serious than hiker accidents.

Hiker fatalities are usually interesting to read about because of
their unique qualities.


Again, I suggest you read first. They are pretty predictable .. broken bones, exposure, exhaustion and terrain issues (falling off it usually). That's hardly rare or exceptional.


I once read a book about hiker accidents in the National Parks and elsewhere in the American West. It made for interesting reading because of what led up to the accidents. It was hiker error every time. The only error mountain bikers make is trying to ride their bikes on a hiking trail to begin with. Dumb, dumb dumb!

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great


  #18  
Old May 29th 14, 10:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 214
Default Another idiot mountain biker!

A hiker has an accident - no big deal. A biker has an accident

- damn near fatal. The risks are not the same. That is what is bloody



obvious!


So, a hiker fatality is "no big deal" ?* I think you

will find a few in the report I posted.

I never said the risks were the same but what I did do was

quantify them and mountainbiking is a lot safer than you would like it portrayed
and hiking considerably more dangerous.

You need to compare the number of hiker fatalities with the
number of mountain biker fatalities. The causes of what led to the deaths would
be of interest too.


Ah, are you finally suggesting we actually look at data about the actual number of incidents and fatalities ... rather than simply relying on Ed Dolan magical numbers ? Hallelujah.

Yet the Lake District report contains accounts of hiking



fatalities ... that's not what I'd call trivial ... would you ?




Your statement is, again, refuted by the facts.




Hiker fatalities are extremely rare. Biker fatalities are


quite common.


*

Read the report Ed ... fatalities of either are

rare.

*

Fatalities are of course rare for both, but not as rare for
mountain bikers. However, accidents not resulting in fatalities are not rare.
And mountain biker accidents tend to be far more serious than hiker accidents.


No argument from me there ... so what ? Your premise is that hiking is almost entirely safe and mountainbiking inevitably seriously injurious. The data says that, yes, mountainbiking is not as safe as hiking but, at 1.54 injuries per 1,000 exposures, is safer than many other sports and, overall, relatively safe. You are thus incorrect in your basic assumptions.

Hiker fatalities are usually interesting to read about because of



their unique qualities.


Again, I suggest you read first.* They are pretty

predictable .. broken bones, exposure, exhaustion and terrain issues (falling
off it usually).* That's hardly rare or exceptional.

I once read a book about hiker accidents in the National Parks
and elsewhere in the American West. It made for interesting reading because of
what led up to the accidents. It was hiker error every time. The only error
mountain bikers make is trying to ride their bikes on a hiking trail to begin
with. Dumb, dumb dumb!


What nonsense ... if you walk a trail, step on unstable terrain, and therefore break a bone and die of exposure because rescue doesn't reach you in time (a real case from the report) how is that 'hiker error' any more than it's 'biker error' if you hit a rock awkwardly and thereby fall off ? It's the natural environment not sanitised to make it 'safe' ... there are risks whether you hike or bike.

  #19  
Old May 30th 14, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 538
Default Another idiot mountain biker!

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]

You need to compare the number of hiker fatalities with the
number of mountain biker fatalities. The causes of what led to the deaths would
be of interest too.


Ah, are you finally suggesting we actually look at data about the actual number of incidents and fatalities ... rather than simply relying on Ed Dolan magical numbers ? Hallelujah.


Reports from the media are more than sufficient for this purpose.
[...]

Fatalities are of course rare for both, but not as rare for
mountain bikers. However, accidents not resulting in fatalities are not rare.
And mountain biker accidents tend to be far more serious than hiker accidents.


No argument from me there ... so what ? Your premise is that hiking is almost entirely safe and mountainbiking inevitably seriously injurious. The data says that, yes, mountainbiking is not as safe as hiking but, at 1.54 injuries per 1,000 exposures, is safer than many other sports and, overall, relatively safe. You are thus incorrect in your basic assumptions.


Nobody knows what is meant by “exposures” Your reliance on this kind of “data” is hilarious.
[...]

I once read a book about hiker accidents in the National Parks
and elsewhere in the American West. It made for interesting reading because of
what led up to the accidents. It was hiker error every time. The only error
mountain bikers make is trying to ride their bikes on a hiking trail to begin
with. Dumb, dumb, dumb!


What nonsense ... if you walk a trail, step on unstable terrain, and therefore break a bone and die of exposure because rescue doesn't reach you in time (a real case from the report) how is that 'hiker error' any more than it's 'biker error' if you hit a rock awkwardly and thereby fall off ? It's the natural environment not sanitised to make it 'safe' .... there are risks whether you hike or bike.


Hiker errors resulting in accidents are interesting because they are unique. Mountain biker errors resulting in accidents are dull because they are all the same. The biker hits an irregularity in the trail and goes flying over the handlebars and lands on his head or back. Dull, dull, dull!

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

  #20  
Old May 30th 14, 12:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 214
Default Another idiot mountain biker!

You need to compare the number of hiker fatalities with the

number of mountain biker fatalities. The causes of what led to the

deaths would

be of interest too.


Ah, are you finally suggesting we actually look at data about the

actual number of incidents and fatalities ... rather than simply relying on Ed
Dolan magical numbers ? Hallelujah.

Reports from the media are more than sufficient for this
purpose.


No, they're not because media reports come from all over. You need data for the same place and over the same period to be in any way comparable.

Fatalities are of course rare for both, but not as rare for


mountain bikers. However, accidents not resulting in fatalities are

not rare.

And mountain biker accidents tend to be far more serious than hiker

accidents.

No argument from me there ... so what ? Your premise is that

hiking is almost entirely safe and mountainbiking inevitably seriously
injurious. The data says that, yes, mountainbiking is not as safe as
hiking but, at 1.54 injuries per 1,000 exposures, is safer than many other
sports and, overall, relatively safe. You are thus incorrect in your basic
assumptions.

Nobody knows what is meant by "exposures" Your reliance on
this kind of "data" is hilarious.


Yes, Ed, people know exactly what is meant by exposures. If you could care to do some study instead of simply spouting you can read about it here ... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1472638/

However, I fully expect that you won't bother and will remain secure in your ignorance.

I once read a book about hiker accidents in the National Parks


and elsewhere in the American West. It made for interesting reading

because of

what led up to the accidents. It was hiker error every time. The only

error

mountain bikers make is trying to ride their bikes on a hiking trail

to begin

with. Dumb, dumb, dumb!




What nonsense ... if you walk a trail, step on unstable terrain,

and therefore break a bone and die of exposure because rescue doesn't reach you
in time (a real case from the report) how is that 'hiker error' any more than
it's 'biker error' if you hit a rock awkwardly and thereby fall off ? It's
the natural environment not sanitised to make it 'safe' ... there are risks
whether you hike or bike.



Hiker errors resulting in accidents are interesting because
they are unique. Mountain biker errors resulting in accidents are dull because
they are all the same. The biker hits an irregularity in the trail and goes
flying over the handlebars and lands on his head or back. Dull, dull, dull!


Oh dear Ed. So, the fact that the number one category requiring Mountain Rescue was "Slip, Trip or Stumble" with 111 of the 433 injuries in the Lake District in 2013 is indicative of a wonderful range of innovative and 'interesting' new injuries suffered by hikers ?

Rider hits irregularity and falls off (OTB is relatively rare), hiker slips, trips or stumbles over irregularity. What a fascinating degree of similarity don't you think ?
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Runner Injured by Idiot Mountain Biker Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 5 June 29th 07 11:41 PM
Runner Injured by Idiot Mountain Biker Mike Vandeman Social Issues 5 June 29th 07 11:41 PM
Death Threat from a Typical Mountain Biker (was Hate Mail from a Typical Mountain Biker) averal Social Issues 0 April 11th 05 04:47 AM
Mountain Biker Gives Driver the Finger, Then Wonders Why People Hate Mountain Bikers! Mr_Kingkillaha Mountain Biking 3 January 27th 05 05:20 AM
Another Idiot Mountain Biker Demonstrates Their Stupidity Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 1 July 26th 03 09:28 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.