A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Social Issues
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Another idiot mountain biker!



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 11th 14, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 214
Default Another idiot mountain biker!

Another familiar story. Here is a man 65 years of age trying
to be a teenager. Mountain biking puts stress on various body organs because
trying to negotiate a trail on a bike is stressful no matter your age. But
Blackblade thinks mountain biking is good for one's health. Is being dead good
for one's health? This man might have lived for another 20 years if he had not
thought that mountain biking was a good thing to be doing. The last time I
looked there were plenty of roads in Oregon for cyclists to ride. He should have
stuck to roads, where the only danger is being hit by a motor
vehicle.


Spectacular own goal there Ed :-))))

You do know, I take it, that last year 14 cyclists died in London alone due to being hit by motor vehicles ? Cycling on the road is orders of magnitude more dangerous than mountainbiking.

Mountainbiking is, despite your claims to the contrary, good for you and pretty safe. The hiking report from the lake district included 3 hiking fatalities you might recall - and you're happy to conclude that this is 'safe' just because it suits your argument. So, same question back to you ... is it safe if people end up dead ?
Ads
  #2  
Old June 12th 14, 09:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Another idiot mountain biker!

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 10:17:03 -0700 (PDT), Blackblade
wrote:

Another familiar story. Here is a man 65 years of age trying
to be a teenager. Mountain biking puts stress on various body organs because
trying to negotiate a trail on a bike is stressful no matter your age. But
Blackblade thinks mountain biking is good for one's health. Is being dead good
for one's health? This man might have lived for another 20 years if he had not
thought that mountain biking was a good thing to be doing. The last time I
looked there were plenty of roads in Oregon for cyclists to ride. He should have
stuck to roads, where the only danger is being hit by a motor
vehicle.


Spectacular own goal there Ed :-))))

You do know, I take it, that last year 14 cyclists died in London alone due to being hit by motor vehicles ? Cycling on the road is orders of magnitude more dangerous than mountainbiking.

Mountainbiking is, despite your claims to the contrary, good for you and pretty safe. The hiking report from the lake district included 3 hiking fatalities you might recall - and you're happy to conclude that this is 'safe' just because it suits your argument. So, same question back to you ... is it safe if people end up dead ?



My goodness!

Since record-keeping began in 1910, 15 people have been killed in the
bull running of Pamplona,

Or in other words, through 2009, or 99 years, 15 people have died, An
average of 0.15 individuals per year...... Which makes Lake District
hiking twenty times more dangerous than running in front of a herd of
fighting bills.

This carnage must stop!
--
Cheers,

Miguel

  #3  
Old June 21st 14, 06:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 538
Default Another idiot mountain biker!

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Edward Dolan wrote:

Another familiar story. Here is a man 65 years of age trying
to be a teenager. Mountain biking puts stress on various body organs because
trying to negotiate a trail on a bike is stressful no matter your age. But
Blackblade thinks mountain biking is good for one's health. Is being dead good
for one's health? This man might have lived for another 20 years if he had not
thought that mountain biking was a good thing to be doing. The last time I
looked there were plenty of roads in Oregon for cyclists to ride. He should have
stuck to roads, where the only danger is being hit by a motor
vehicle.


Spectacular own goal there Ed :-))))


You do know, I take it, that last year 14 cyclists died in London alone due to being hit by motor vehicles ? Cycling on the road is orders of magnitude more dangerous than mountainbiking.


Riding a bicycle in the road is not safe either by any means. The solution is for cyclists to have their own bike paths entirely separated from motor vehicle traffic. However, a specially constructed trail for bikes is not the same thing as a trail designed and meant only for walkers.

Mountainbiking is, despite your claims to the contrary, good for you and pretty safe. The hiking report from the lake district included 3 hiking fatalities you might recall - and you're happy to conclude that this is 'safe' just because it suits your argument. So, same question back to you ... is it safe if people end up dead ?


Riding a bike on a mountainous trail is very hard on the body in various ways, especially older bodies. The reports from the field are just too numerous and widespread to conclude anything other than that riding your bike on a trail is dangerous. The main danger is from falls from the front wheel hitting an object in the pathway and being ejected over the handlebars. Wheels need fairly smooth pathways whereas walkers don’t. Hikers merely step over objects in the pathway.

Too bad we can’t raise from the dead all those killed by mountain biking and ask them if it (being dead) was worth it

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great


  #4  
Old June 21st 14, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 538
Default Another idiot mountain biker!

wrote in message ...

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 10:17:03 -0700 (PDT), Blackblade
wrote:

Edward Dolan wrote:

Another familiar story. Here is a man 65 years of age trying
to be a teenager. Mountain biking puts stress on various body organs because
trying to negotiate a trail on a bike is stressful no matter your age. But
Blackblade thinks mountain biking is good for one's health. Is being dead good
for one's health? This man might have lived for another 20 years if he had not
thought that mountain biking was a good thing to be doing. The last time I
looked there were plenty of roads in Oregon for cyclists to ride. He should have
stuck to roads, where the only danger is being hit by a motor
vehicle.


Spectacular own goal there Ed :-))))

You do know, I take it, that last year 14 cyclists died in London alone due to being hit by motor vehicles ? Cycling on the road is orders of magnitude more dangerous than mountainbiking.

Mountainbiking is, despite your claims to the contrary, good for you and pretty safe. The hiking report from the lake district included 3 hiking fatalities you might recall - and you're happy to conclude that this is 'safe' just because it suits your argument. So, same question back to you ... is it safe if people end up dead ?


My goodness!


Since record-keeping began in 1910, 15 people have been killed in the

bull running of Pamplona,

Or in other words, through 2009, or 99 years, 15 people have died, An

average of 0.15 individuals per year...... Which makes Lake District
hiking twenty times more dangerous than running in front of a herd of
fighting bills.

This carnage must stop!


The difference is that most mountain bikers think it is perfectly safe to go biking on a hiking trail. They find out the hard way that nothing could be further from the truth. If you bike on trails designed and meant only for hikers, it is just a matter of time until you suffer a serious accident. A few hundred people at most run in Pamplona whereas millions of folks hike throughout the year on trails all over the world. I do not seen any connection there at all!

Another difference is that biking in London is most likely not done for pleasure. It is part of daily living. Whereas mountain biking is done solely for pleasure. Is it worthwhile to take risks for something as trivial as mere pleasure? Only fools like Blackblade think so.

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

  #5  
Old June 23rd 14, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 214
Default Another idiot mountain biker!

This man might have lived for another 20 years if he
had not

thought that mountain biking was a good thing to be doing. The last

time I

looked there were plenty of roads in Oregon for cyclists to ride. He

should have

stuck to roads, where the only danger is being hit by a motor


vehicle.


Spectacular own goal there Ed :-))))


You do know, I take it, that last year 14 cyclists died in London

alone due to being hit by motor vehicles ? Cycling on the road is orders
of magnitude more dangerous than mountainbiking.

Riding a bicycle in the road is not safe either by any means.


No, it's much more dangerous. I guess that's the closest we'll get to an admission that you were wrong.

Mountainbiking is, despite your claims to the contrary, good for

you and pretty safe. The hiking report from the lake district included 3
hiking fatalities you might recall - and you're happy to conclude that this is
'safe' just because it suits your argument. So, same question back to you
... is it safe if people end up dead ?

Riding a bike on a mountainous trail is very hard on the body
in various ways, especially older bodies. The reports from the field are just
too numerous and widespread to conclude anything other than that riding your
bike on a trail is dangerous. The main danger is from falls from the front wheel
hitting an object in the pathway and being ejected over the handlebars.
Wheels need fairly smooth pathways whereas walkers don't. Hikers merely step
over objects in the pathway.


Way to avoid the question Ed. Please answer it. Is hiking safe if some people end up dead doing it ?

Too bad we can't raise from the dead all those killed by
mountain biking and ask them if it (being dead) was worth it


Life is for living. I'd far rather have a shorter, but active and full, life than a morose and miserable descent into grumpy old age.
  #6  
Old June 23rd 14, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 214
Default Another idiot mountain biker!

My goodness!

Since record-keeping began in 1910, 15 people have been killed

in the

bull running of Pamplona,

Or in other words, through 2009, or 99 years, 15 people have

died, An

average of 0.15 individuals per year...... Which makes Lake District

hiking twenty times more dangerous than running in front of a herd of

fighting bills.

This carnage must stop!


The difference is that most mountain bikers think it is
perfectly safe to go biking on a hiking trail.


And they're quite right to do so ... the evidence backs this up. There is a slight chance that they could seriously injure or kill themselves ... but it is very slight indeed.

They find out the hard way that
nothing could be further from the truth. If you bike on trails designed and
meant only for hikers, it is just* a matter of time until you suffer a
serious accident. A few hundred people at most run in Pamplona whereas millions
of folks hike throughout the year on trails all over the world. I do not seen
any connection there at all!


Ah, thank you, at last. You concede that if millions of people do something that, inevitably, some of them will get hurt doing it even if it's low risk.

And, as we calculated earlier in this thread, the 'matter of time' you're talking about is around 15 years even if you ride extensively every week.

Another difference is that biking in London is most likely not
done for pleasure. It is part of daily living. Whereas mountain biking is done
solely for pleasure. Is it worthwhile to take risks for something as trivial as
mere pleasure? Only fools like Blackblade think so.


So your job requires you to go hiking does it Ed ? You're risking going hiking simply for pleasure ? You mad fool !
  #7  
Old June 25th 14, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 538
Default Another idiot mountain biker!

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

The difference is that most mountain bikers think it is
perfectly safe to go biking on a hiking trail.


And they're quite right to do so ... the evidence backs this up. There is a slight chance that they could seriously injure or kill themselves ... but it is very slight indeed.


Bikers are dropping like flies and even experienced bikers meet with the grim reaper. That is the price you pay for stupidity.

They find out the hard way that
nothing could be further from the truth. If you bike on trails designed and
meant only for hikers, it is just a matter of time until you suffer a
serious accident. A few hundred people at most run in Pamplona whereas millions
of folks hike throughout the year on trails all over the world. I do not seen
any connection there at all!


Ah, thank you, at last. You concede that if millions of people do something that, inevitably, some of them will get hurt doing it even if it's low risk.


And, as we calculated earlier in this thread, the 'matter of time' you're talking about is around 15 years even if you ride extensively every week.


There is simply no comparison between what hikers suffer on the trails and what bikers suffer on the trails.

Another difference is that biking in London is most likely not
done for pleasure. It is part of daily living. Whereas mountain biking is done
solely for pleasure. Is it worthwhile to take risks for something as trivial as
mere pleasure? Only fools like Blackblade think so.


So your job requires you to go hiking does it Ed ? You're risking going hiking simply for pleasure ? You mad fool !


Hiking is a pastime; biking on trails is a sport. No risk to hiking at all provided you do not do something stupid. Just do normal biking on a trail and you will come to grief sooner or later.

The only mad fool here is you who would equate hiking and biking as being equally safe when everyone knows differently. If and when you ever began to report hiking accidents that compare with biking accidents with respect to both seriousness and deaths, then and only then will you gain some credibility.

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great


  #8  
Old June 25th 14, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 538
Default Another idiot mountain biker!

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

Riding a bike on a mountainous trail is very hard on the body
in various ways, especially older bodies. The reports from the field are just
too numerous and widespread to conclude anything other than that riding your
bike on a trail is dangerous. The main danger is from falls from the front wheel
hitting an object in the pathway and being ejected over the handlebars.
Wheels need fairly smooth pathways whereas walkers don't. Hikers merely step
over objects in the pathway.


Way to avoid the question Ed. Please answer it. Is hiking safe if some people end up dead doing it ?


Hiking is not dangerous at all provided you use your common sense. Biking on trails is dangerous no matter how much common sense you exercise. That is because it is a stupid thing to be doing in the first place.

Too bad we can't raise from the dead all those killed by
mountain biking and ask them if it (being dead) was worth it


Life is for living. I'd far rather have a shorter, but active and full, life than a morose and miserable descent into grumpy old age.

You are quite mistaken about that. Every age has its own rewards, but you have to live long enough to reach old age in order to know that. Grumpiness is extremely enjoyable! Hells Bells, I have been morose and miserable my whole life. We Americans only pursue happiness. We never catch it.

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great


  #9  
Old June 25th 14, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 214
Default Another idiot mountain biker!


The difference is that most mountain bikers think it is


perfectly safe to go biking on a hiking trail.


And they're quite right to do so ... the evidence backs this

up.* There is a slight chance that they could seriously injure or kill
themselves ... but it is very slight indeed.

Bikers are dropping like flies and even experienced bikers
meet with the grim reaper. That is the price you pay for stupidity.


No, Ed, bikers are not dropping like flies. If they were then my club, with over 500 members, would have seen absolute carnage over the 20 years it's been running. Whereas, in reality, we've seen no fatalities and only two serious injuries. You can say the same thing again and again ... as you do ... but it doesn't make it true. You'd just like it to be the case.

They find out the hard way that


nothing could be further from the truth. If you bike on trails

designed and

meant only for hikers, it is just* a matter of time until you

suffer a

serious accident. A few hundred people at most run in Pamplona whereas

millions

of folks hike throughout the year on trails all over the world. I do

not seen

any connection there at all!


Ah, thank you, at last.* You concede that if millions of

people do something that, inevitably, some of them will get hurt doing it even
if it's low risk.

And, as we calculated earlier in this thread, the 'matter of time'

you're talking about is around 15 years even if you ride extensively every
week.

There is simply no comparison between what hikers suffer on
the trails and what bikers suffer on the trails.


One can compare anything. The reality, as you know, is that hikers, just like bikers, fall and hurt themselves, get stuck, get exhausted and get caught out without the correct equipment. Shall I post the Lake District Mountain Rescue annual report again so you can read it and remind yourself ?

Another difference is that biking in London is most likely not


done for pleasure. It is part of daily living. Whereas mountain biking

is done

solely for pleasure. Is it worthwhile to take risks for something as

trivial as

mere pleasure? Only fools like Blackblade think so.


So your job requires you to go hiking does it Ed ?* You're

risking going hiking simply for pleasure ?* You mad fool !

Hiking is a pastime; biking on trails is a sport. No risk to
hiking at all provided you do not do something stupid. Just do normal biking on
a trail and you will come to grief sooner or later.


Pastime or sport ... so what ? They are both RECREATION. You don't NEED to do either do you so they are activities undertaken solely because you wish to do so.

And, if there is no risk to hiking, how come there are serious injuries and fatalities ?

The only mad fool here is you who would equate hiking and
biking as being equally safe when everyone knows differently. If and when you
ever began to report hiking accidents that compare with biking accidents with
respect to both seriousness and deaths, then and only then will you gain some
credibility.


Did I ever say that they were equally safe ? No, I didn't. Please retract..

I also posted the Lake District Mountain Rescue report which contains a record of all call outs that they attended ... irrespective of whether the victim was on foot, on a bike or in a vehicle. You will note that there are rather more accounts of hikers coming to grief than bikers.

Now, I know that this is because there are more hikers than bikers ... since, unlike you, I do understand population size when it comes to events and their occurrence. However, if you want to attain any credibility whatsoever you will need to acknowledge that and deal with it.

Mountain biking is NOT as safe as hiking but, and this is the critical part, neither of them are particularly dangerous ... they are both low risk activities in the main part. The exceptions, of course, being the more extreme end of the spectrum such as competitive downhill racing and rock climbing..

Your simplistic, hiking = safe, biking = near certain death is complete rubbish as the real world data shows.

  #10  
Old June 25th 14, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 214
Default Another idiot mountain biker!

Riding a bike on a mountainous trail is very hard on the body

in various ways, especially older bodies. The reports from the field

are just

too numerous and widespread to conclude anything other than that

riding your

bike on a trail is dangerous. The main danger is from falls from the

front wheel

hitting an object in the pathway and being ejected over the

handlebars.*

Wheels need fairly smooth pathways whereas walkers don't. Hikers

merely step

over objects in the pathway.


Way to avoid the question Ed.* Please answer it.* Is

hiking safe if some people end up dead doing it ?

Hiking is not dangerous at all provided you use your common
sense. Biking on trails is dangerous no matter how much common sense you
exercise. That is because it is a stupid thing to be doing in the first
place.


I reiterate. If hiking is safe then how come people end up dead doing it ? Read the report from the Lake District. The casualties were mostly caused by people falling over precipices either because they tripped on the trail or because visibility was poor due to weather. If you think that you can go out into wilderness, on foot or on a bike, and be perfectly safe then you're deluding yourself.

Too bad we can't raise from the dead all those killed by


mountain biking and ask them if it (being dead) was worth it

*

Life is for living. I'd far rather have a shorter, but active and full,
life than a morose and miserable descent into grumpy old age.

You are quite mistaken about that. Every age has its own
rewards, but you have to live long enough to reach old age in order to know
that. Grumpiness is extremely enjoyable! Hells Bells, I have been morose and
miserable my whole life. We Americans only pursue happiness. We never catch
it.


Well, I am not in the business of telling anyone else how to live their life ... but I am not grumpy and I am, mostly, very happy. I am not interested in the pursuit of an elusive goal at the end of my lifetime, I am interested in enjoying and living my life now. For me, that involves an element of exhilaration and joy ... which I experience when I push my boundaries.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another idiot mountain biker! EdwardDolan Social Issues 24 June 3rd 14 11:07 PM
Runner Injured by Idiot Mountain Biker Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 5 June 29th 07 11:41 PM
Runner Injured by Idiot Mountain Biker Mike Vandeman Social Issues 5 June 29th 07 11:41 PM
Another Idiot Mountain Biker Demonstrates Their Stupidity Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 1 July 26th 03 09:28 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.