cycling in NYC

Old March 23rd 16, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default cycling in NYC

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 08:05:02 +0700, John B
wrote:
On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 22:41:24 -0500, Tim McNamara
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 07:02:01 +0700, John B
wrote:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 21:38:39 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/20/2016 7:43 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 11:40:01 -0500, AMuzi
wrote:

Today's ride

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2569994

Interesting. From the article: "The stabbing comes amid a citywide
spike in blade attacks.

As of March 13, police have investigated 809 stabbings citywide
this year, compared to 673 investigations by the same point last
year a 20% jump."

Gee and they told us that as soon as they got the guns registered
there would be "peace for our times".

"The low-lifes, you will always have with you." Isn't that in the
bible or something?

But given the choice, if they're going to attack me, I'd much rather
have them armed with a knife than with a gun.

I believe that the actual quote is "For ye have the poor with you
always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have
not always."

( as y'all seem to have a plurality of "Good Books" I have selected
the first translated into English for my reference)

Unfortunately that is also the least accurate translation into
English.

Given that the Christian Bible has been translated and re-translated
innumerable times since the various books were originally written I
suspect that the term accuracy is somewhat suspect. After all, Y'all
can't even agree on the wording of the most basic law, the 10
Commandments. -- cheers,

Oh, don't include me in that there "y'all." I ain't a member.
Old March 23rd 16, 12:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

--
cheers,

John B.

Isn't the first one, "Don't loan your bike" ?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 23rd 16, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

It's all very clear: Leviticus 19:3 "If a man steals the bicycle of another, he shall be put to death." 19:12 "A bicycle shall not be borrowed or loaned."

Moses rode a bronze Trek BC -- cost him a pile of shekels.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 23rd 16, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/23/2016 8:27 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/22/2016 8:05 PM, John B. wrote:

Given that the Christian Bible has been translated and re-translated
innumerable times since the various books were originally written I
suspect that the term accuracy is somewhat suspect. After all, Y'all
can't even agree on the wording of the most basic law, the 10
Commandments.

Isn't the first one, "Don't loan your bike" ?

True story, from many years ago in a distant state:

I knew a young guy, a dedicated bike racer of very modest income, who
saved up his money till he could buy a super-light, all Campy,
tubular-shod racing bike. He was proudly showing it to those present at
the start of a ride.

One pleasant-looking guy asked if he could just ride it around the
parking lot. The new owner said "sure."

The guy rode do the far end of the lot, looked over his shoulder, waved
goodbye and rode off. Neither he nor the bike were ever seen again.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 23rd 16, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://goo.gl/2Z5q0i
Old March 24th 16, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

I think it is "Thou shall not steal (bicycles)" :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 25th 16, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Moses came from Egypt. Did they use shekels in Egypt? :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 6th 16, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 4:44:03 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 11:40:01 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Today's ride

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2569994

Interesting. From the article:
"The stabbing comes amid a citywide spike in blade attacks.

As of March 13, police have investigated 809 stabbings citywide this
year, compared to 673 investigations by the same point last year a 20%
jump."

Gee and they told us that as soon as they got the guns registered
there would be "peace for our times".
--
cheers,

John B.

I demand knife control.
Old April 7th 16, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 12:03:30 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 4:44:03 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 11:40:01 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Today's ride

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2569994

Interesting. From the article:
"The stabbing comes amid a citywide spike in blade attacks.

As of March 13, police have investigated 809 stabbings citywide this
year, compared to 673 investigations by the same point last year a 20%
jump."

Gee and they told us that as soon as they got the guns registered
there would be "peace for our times".
--
cheers,

John B.

I demand knife control.

Don't laugh. I believe that both Australia and England have such a
thing. From what I read if the police catch you walking down the
street with a 14" Chef's knife in your belt you are in trouble. But of
curse if it is properly packaged (tied to a cardboard label) and
carried in a plastic bag then you are o.k. :-)

A recent Japanese "Slasher" stopped in a cooking goods shop and bought
a knife on the way to the school where he started cutting up kids.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old April 7th 16, 12:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Patriquen

Any knife with a locking blade is illegal in the UK (even a 1" blade if it locks) and in the city will probably result in arrest and possibly jail time. Non-locking knives are limited to 3.5" blades, but can still be confiscated if carried (for example) on public transport.

Police often set up metal detectors at major train stations, for example. Tradesmen have been "done" for having a box cutter in their van (after work, drop off tools, go to pub or else). Plenty of horror stories about innocents being arrested.

And knife crime/murders? Makes no difference at all, as far as stats go

- SteveP