Quick Release Skewer Locks?

Old March 29th 16, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Quick Release Skewer Locks?

My child unit has taken a road bike to Santa Cruz, after winning a fight
with my son for custody of my wife's old Raleigh Technium.

I wanted to get some locking wheel skewers, but the reviews I read for
all of them are pretty awful. Easily defeated with simple tools,
difficult to get tight enough, and they get loose over time.

I recall that there used to be locks that could be added to QR skewers,
but the only ones I see available now are from the UK
http://quick-caps.com/quick-cap-black-2pack.

There's also a set from Sphyke that uses a standard Allen wrench but has
a cover that locks on, with a combination lock, to prevent access to the
bolt http://www.sphyke.com/products/wheel-anti-theft-locks/setskw/.

For now she took along a thick cable to use in conjunction with a U lock.

Old March 29th 16, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 08:37:16 -0700, sms
wrote:

I wanted to get some locking wheel skewers, but the reviews I read for
all of them are pretty awful. Easily defeated with simple tools,
difficult to get tight enough, and they get loose over time.

In the distant past, I switched from QR axles to solid axles with
security nuts. That didn't work too well when the entire bicycle was
stolen. The security nuts were also rather expensive.
http://www.bicyclebolts.com
https://www.fastenright.com/products/security-fasteners/security-nuts
These days, thieves have Torx security drivers.

My next attempt was to drill and tap the QR heads and insert 4-40 set
screws. That worked just fine, until I had to drill one out when it
rusted in place. Methinks some wax or grease would have eliminated
that problem. However, it wasn't very secure as a pair of channel
lock pliers or vise grips be sufficient to steal the wheel.

These don't offer much security, but might slow down the casual thief.
http://www.fastenerdata.co.uk/fasteners/more-nuts/nuts-a-to-c/12-point.html

The best I can suggest is a solid axle, with custom nuts that require
a pin drive wrench. Something like these,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Flange-Nut-Set-M14/dp/B00AJ6O0F6
https://www.fastenright.com/security-fasteners/2-hole-security-nut/2h06
but using a 3 hole pattern that doesn't work well with a snap ring
pliers.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old March 29th 16, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/29/2016 9:25 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

The best I can suggest is a solid axle, with custom nuts that require
a pin drive wrench. Something like these,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Flange-Nut-Set-M14/dp/B00AJ6O0F6
https://www.fastenright.com/security-fasteners/2-hole-security-nut/2h06
but using a 3 hole pattern that doesn't work well with a snap ring
pliers.

The Quick-Caps look like the best solution because they retain the
functionality of the quick-release mechanism with the lever still being
used.

All of the designs with the special wrench have mediocre reviews, being
easy to defeat, being difficult to get tight enough to secure the wheel,
and tending to loosen over time.

The design where you have to lift the bike to a certain angle for the QR
levers to unlock, Zefal Lock 'n' Roll are clever but apparently these
are also easily defeated with pliers or a magnet.

The downside of the Quick-Caps is that they work only with external cam
quick-releases.

In Santa Cruz they will apparently steal any accessory not locked down.
They stole half of a mirror on her old bike. The old bike, now in my
garage, looks like it aged 100 years after being in Santa Cruz for four
years.
Old March 29th 16, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

how cute....440 in skewers.... XXXkabob !

square link security chain with clearance for a secure lock.

http://www.tulsachain.com/asccustomp...FcRehgod1NgI-Q
Old March 29th 16, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

how cute....440 in skewers.... XXXkabob !

square link security chain with clearance for a secure lock.

http://www.tulsachain.com/asccustomp...FcRehgod1NgI-Q

like this

http://images.wisconsinhistory.org/7...09000237-l.jpg
Old March 30th 16, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 09:43:46 -0700, sms
wrote:

All of the designs with the special wrench have mediocre reviews, being
easy to defeat, being difficult to get tight enough to secure the wheel,
and tending to loosen over time.

You might get a clue as to why they're becoming loose from the pedals.
The left side of the bicycle has LH (left-hand) threads to help reduce
the problem. As the axle flexes slightly, the nut tends to rotate
around the axle, causing it to loosen. I'm not sure if LH threads
will really solve that problem, but it might help. So might two
lockwashers.

In Santa Cruz they will apparently steal any accessory not locked down.

Yep. If you want to see the latest shiny brand new bicycles, just
visit the homeless camp or shelter.

They stole half of a mirror on her old bike. The old bike, now in my
garage, looks like it aged 100 years after being in Santa Cruz for four
years.

Methinks the salt air might have something to do with the accelerated
aging. Rust never sleeps.

Old March 30th 16, 12:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

AE6KS -

red Loctite for small fasteners, holds an prevents corrosion. Loc is partly dependent on surface area...yield is proportional to area but not directly.. An equation of sorts exists...

but the juncture of M/F thread's should be painted with linseed using a small brush

see he http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kids-Craft...-Pack/19613465

salt air corrosion increases with dewpoint water deposits...check your dew point

https://www.google.com/#q=noaa+dew+point+map

a toolbox with chromed chrome moly tools in a 'closed' container eg my Volvo rusts tools as the dew point passes thru depositing dew, small dew, on tools. Air pure water carryin g air pure salt onto my oil covered tools. Oil floats on water, water evaps leaving salt.

aaaRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHH !

so if the bare metals parts are lightly painted with thinned linseed..threads nut surfaces....then maintenance proceeds. Linseed attracts n holds dirt so use age is limited. No linseed at the gin.

the other choice is preventing the dew drop...?

wax. The wax goes on before the dew. Otherwise calcite rings form on your pebble beach paint job. calcite rings are a huge PITA.

Old March 30th 16, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/30/2016 6:59 AM, wrote:
[...]

As regards condensation inside bicycles, good practice
includes vent holes.

No vent he
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...ast/bur16c.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 30th 16, 02:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 8:38:00 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/30/2016 6:59 AM, wrote:
[...]

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv0

the Volvo stored outside was vented but the dewpoint in salt air deposited water n salt air inside the vehicle. Inside the tool box.

But Volvo stored inside garage n vented gets a dew point but dew stays outside on roof n ext. walls.

Is the tube in photo painted inside ? As with the new fishing boat, not drilling holes n not painting ID tubing is a real expense reducer. A front edge idea....

hoop snakes.
Old March 30th 16, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

All of the designs with the special wrench have mediocre reviews, being
easy to defeat, being difficult to get tight enough to secure the wheel,
and tending to loosen over time.

You might get a clue as to why they're becoming loose from the pedals.
The left side of the bicycle has LH (left-hand) threads to help reduce
the problem. As the axle flexes slightly, the nut tends to rotate
around the axle, causing it to loosen. I'm not sure if LH threads
will really solve that problem, but it might help. So might two
lockwashers.

With bolt-on wheels you don't have LH threads on the left and they are
pretty secure but it's because you're tightening the nuts with a wrench
that gives you enough torque to get them very tight.

Those skewers that replace the lever with a nut that requires a special
wrench are usually using pretty tiny wrenches.

The Quick-Cap seems like a very good idea since it preserves the QR
lever functionality.