ShelBroCo

Old April 2nd 16, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default ShelBroCo

Lighten your bike's wheels:

http://sheldonbrown.com/helium.html

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 3rd 16, 12:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 10:34:45 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Lighten your bike's wheels:

http://sheldonbrown.com/helium.html

I thought that hydrogen gave more "bang for the buck" and I believe is
also cheaper. And in line with the "do-it-yourself" books thread I
believe that you can make your own hydrogen using ingredients found in
the home. :-)

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old April 3rd 16, 02:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Lighten your bike's wheels:

http://sheldonbrown.com/helium.html

I thought that hydrogen gave more "bang for the buck" and I believe is
also cheaper. And in line with the "do-it-yourself" books thread I
believe that you can make your own hydrogen using ingredients found in
the home. :-)

--

Cheers,

John B.

I TRIED BLOWING the kitchen achieving success with a firm order to NOT blow the kitchen
Old April 3rd 16, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

Lighten your bike's wheels:

http://sheldonbrown.com/helium.html

I thought that hydrogen gave more "bang for the buck" and I believe is
also cheaper. And in line with the "do-it-yourself" books thread I
believe that you can make your own hydrogen using ingredients found in
the home. :-)

like a dash of salt in tap water and a current source for
example.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 3rd 16, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/3/2016 4:32 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
AMuzi considered Sun, 03 Apr 2016 09:03:38 -0500
the perfect time to write:

wrote:

Lighten your bike's wheels:

http://sheldonbrown.com/helium.html

I thought that hydrogen gave more "bang for the buck" and I believe is
also cheaper. And in line with the "do-it-yourself" books thread I
believe that you can make your own hydrogen using ingredients found in
the home. :-)

like a dash of salt in tap water and a current source for
example.

You'll probably need to rectify any utility power source.
And it's probably wise to keep the hydrogen well separated from the
oxygen that will also be produced (and even from that in ordinary air,
for that matter).
Whatever you use to compress it, you'd be using a lot, since many
things are porous to hydrogen despite being impermeable to larger
molecules - so your tyres will leak down much faster than with
ordinary air.
A blowout could be highly spectacular, since the least spark will
entice the hydrogen to use any oxygen it can find to revert to water,
very rapidly - with the instant release of all the power you used to
separate them.
Could give a whole new meaning to "blazing saddles"

Huh. As ten year olds we just used a water-filled test tube
over each electrode. Useful quantities would be another
matter altogether.

Old April 3rd 16, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

Lighten your bike's wheels:

http://sheldonbrown.com/helium.html

I thought that hydrogen gave more "bang for the buck" and I believe is
also cheaper. And in line with the "do-it-yourself" books thread I
believe that you can make your own hydrogen using ingredients found in
the home. :-)

like a dash of salt in tap water and a current source for example.

Contaminates your hydrogen with chlorine. A spritz of sulfuric acid
works nicely to increase conductivity. Or just throw some zinc in the
sulfuric acid. Protip: don't use nitric acid, and don't breathe
anything you can see.