Installing cleats

Old July 20th 05, 01:47 PM
Michael Warner

Default Installing cleats

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:12:05 GMT, Jeff Starr wrote:

If you are using plastic cleats from Shimano, the shoes will outlast
many sets of cleats. I get about 1000-1200 miles out of the SPD-SL
SH11. I would imagine that the Look cleats are similar. Last year I
went through 3 sets. How often do the metal SPD cleats wear out?

I got about 12000km out of my first pair, before the one I unclip more
often became loose and clicked at the top of the pedal stroke.

I've noticed that SPD is far more reliable, easy to get in/out of and
tolerant of dirt and mud than the road systems most of the people
I ride with use. New cleats, in particular, seem to cause them problems.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo
Old July 20th 05, 02:49 PM
Jeff Starr

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:17:17 +0930, Michael Warner
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:12:05 GMT, Jeff Starr wrote:

If you are using plastic cleats from Shimano, the shoes will outlast
many sets of cleats. I get about 1000-1200 miles out of the SPD-SL
SH11. I would imagine that the Look cleats are similar. Last year I
went through 3 sets. How often do the metal SPD cleats wear out?

I got about 12000km out of my first pair, before the one I unclip more
often became loose and clicked at the top of the pedal stroke.

I've noticed that SPD is far more reliable, easy to get in/out of and
tolerant of dirt and mud than the road systems most of the people
I ride with use. New cleats, in particular, seem to cause them problems.

Hi, it's funny, I usually find just the opposite. New cleats, seem to
engage more precisely. Although, the main reason to change them is
that they get very slippery. When new, the SPD-SL SH11cleats have
little yellow pads that make them slightly easier and safer to walk
in. Emphasis on slightly, you still tend to waddle like a duck.

But for actual riding, I really like them, I have a little over 6000
miles on them. Throw in a pair of Sidi Genius road shoes and you are
all set;-)

Compared to my PD-M324 SPDs with the 55 cleat, you can use the SLs set
up for easy in/out, without problems of accidental pull out. It works
that way for me, possibly a stronger rider would need them tighter.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old July 20th 05, 03:17 PM
Neil Brooks

"Cwazee Yeti" wrote:

I recall reading an article that said you shouldn't install the screws
of your cycling cleats "dry". I also remember when my LBS owner was
helping me properly align my cleat, he put a drop of something on each
screw before tightening them.

Can someone tell me what this is? Is it lube? Is it grease?

And also, why is it necessary to do so? I'm thinking if you put some
lube/grease on the screws, wouldn't this increase the chances the
screws will come loose?

Thanks!

Some very good, and detailed, information on the subject can be found
at:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/thread.shtml

and

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/torque.shtml

Shoes and Cleats Roger Zoul General 43 August 9th 04 12:44 AM
compatibility of Shimano pedals & cleats davek UK 4 July 20th 04 02:33 PM
Newbie question: cleats on recumbents FLM Recumbent Biking 16 May 20th 04 01:53 AM
Quickest Release Cleats? Edward Holt Mountain Biking 13 November 12th 03 11:16 AM