Prayer request

Old June 5th 20, 04:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Default Prayer request

Andy wrote:
On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 3:06:40 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/3/2020 10:46 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Andy wrote:
On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 12:09:47 AM UTC-5, Ralph Barone wrote:
Andy wrote:
It grieves me about all the violence occurring as the result of many police
activities resulting in the deaths of people in the U.S.

Killing of innocent people by police is evil.

Great though they may be, God actively restrains the test and temptations
that come our way so that we will not experience anything greater than we can bear.
(see 1 Corinthians 10:13)

Fatal car and airplane accidents bring awful devastation, but
statistically these are rare. On January 15, 2009, what should have
brought certain death to passengers aboard Flight 1549, and catastrophe
to Manhattan, turned into what secular reporters labeled a "miracle". The
pilot, Chesley Sullenbeger, safely landed a crippled plane in New York's
Hudson river, with no serious injuries.

While chunks of ice and busy ferries filled most of the river, the
place where the plane came down remained clear of both ice and boats. It
landed without breaking apart.

Ferryboat captains rescued all 155 people from the frigid river within minutes.

The New York Times suggested "more than luck" brought brought the plane down
mere minutes from experts trained in water rescues. Passengers who said
they hadn't believed in God nevertheless prayed to him on the plane, then
publicly thanked him for sparing their lives.

I tell this story to raise a question. Is it not likely that a kind and
all powerful God routinely prevents terrible tragedies in ways that we do
not see and therefore do not credit as miracles?

While the miracle of Flight 1549 appears to be the exception, not the
rule, we cannot know about the most of the equally miraculous
interventions of God that
may have invisibly prevented other
tragedies. Perhaps one day we'll hear
those stories and marvel at how God intervened when we imagined him
uninvolved in our world.

I ask that you pray that people will realize that their Creator loves them.

Thanks,
Andy

My thoughts on the topic are closer to Andy Partridge’s than they are to
yours.

https://youtu.be/p554R-Jq43A

Well Ralph, you are entitled to your beliefs.

The video offers no hope.

It's a eat drink and be merry, and then we die.

That's quite sad.

It is interesting that you are the only one to remark about my post.

That in itself says volumes.

I on the other hand have hope.

I know that life on Earth is not all there is.

That is in spite that for over 30 years, I HAD level 9 neck pain 24 hrs a day.

If you have been to a hospital, you may have seen the pain chart showing
the characteristics of the 10 levels of pain.

God answered my prayer last year. :-)

Andy

And you are entitled to your beliefs as well. My personal hypothesis is
that religion evolved to provide a shortcut to ethical behaviour in society
(follow these rules on how people must be treated or an invisible man in
the sky will smite you). If you can independently arrive at reasons to be
ethical and treat people well, then you don’t need religion. I am glad that
your neck pain is gone, although, as with Job, I do wonder why a kind and
just God would be so unkind to his chosen ones.

PS: Hope can be found in the absence of a supreme being. You just need to
take matters into your own hands a bit more.

I'd be happy to take part in this discussion. But it would have to be
elsewhere.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Name a place and I will post there.

Andy

I should have stopped discussing and now I will. I’m not going to convince
Andy of anything and vice versa, so the argument has no purpose (ahem -
helmets...)

Old June 5th 20, 05:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]

On Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 9:52:55 PM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
[...]

Us Jews are the disbelievers, physical evidence that can disprove what the Pope says, the clear and present risk to the entire Christian set of beliefs proclaiming some holy trinity, that was only put out by the church centuries after the time of Christ, in response to other growing faiths and claimed prophets, by proclaiming that their prophet is the son of G-d himself. Whoa there, wow, the big man's own son praying for me? Whee, all my sins and evils are ok because this externalized psychological entity died for me, perpetuating the fear based view of G-d in organized religion.
C'mon..... G-d is more than can be understood or described, because then, if we could, then what we're calling G-d really is not.
What's G-d to me? A flawed imperfect and probably totally wrong model could be, the highest order of the highest systems of equations defining all that is was and will be, that we can tap into from our own three dimensions existence through the trancendental animating force or energy that makes us sentient and more than just a sack of blood and bones. I saw a transparent region in space leave my Dad's body and over and up through the wall at the ceiling over the window when he died. The other person there with me and I exchanged looks and agreed we had just seen the same. Its a common report of people seeing a "spirit" or "soul" leave the body. So to me, no doubt, there something more to us than the ashes to ashes, dust to dust of our physical being.
Pray to G-d? Yes, seeking to get onboard that cosmic pathway, maybe steer it to the good side where the good side where the dark side gained a foothold. If I've positioned my life to be tapped into a good multidimensional construct of equations that mathematics hasn't defined yet, that "prayer" and "meditation" somehow can lead the mind to have a conscious awareness with, for goodness and happiness to come my way, then I'm on the right dock for when my ship will arrive.
Old June 5th 20, 07:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Thu, 04 Jun 2020 19:22:21 -0700, Andy wrote:

In the animal world, it's is survival of the fittest.

You won't see lions around a campfire feeling bad about eating an
antelope.

Bugger, I'm going to have to stop visiting random campfires if I'm going
to encounter lions relaxing.
I hope they had a good feed

Old June 5th 20, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 7:25:50 PM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
Andy wrote:
[...]

Ralph, you are completely welcome to your beliefs but at the last moment like the two thieves on either side of Christ on the cross you are going to be asked to believe. And the maker will know if you're just trying to dodge the bullet.

If Ralph did believe at the last minute, he would go to heaven.

However, what we do in heaven is dependent on what we did on Earth.

Everyone in heaven is not equally rewarded.

Andy

I don't know where you get the belief that a lifetime of evil can be offset by a last moment request for leniency.
Old June 5th 20, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 8:53:07 PM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:
Andy wrote:
Andy wrote:
[...]

Do you think that God may have a reason for being unkind that we don't
know or would not understand if he told us?

Sure, I can imagine an omnipotent being being capable of thinking things I
couldn’t understand. However, at some point you become the equivalent of
God’s goldfish. Do you get mad because your goldfish doesn’t believe in
you? Would you punish your goldfish to eternal damnation because it
refused to accept you as his God?

Where do people get the notion of helping others and other sacrificial
behaviors toward others?

It’s a logical leap in smaller cultures to understand that acting against
the best interests of the tribe is eventually bad for you. It’s a bit
harder to make that leap in modern culture because the feedback loops are
longer, but any animal capable of logical thought can deduce ethics from
observation.

In the animal world, it's is survival of the fittest.

Or not. https://www.livingwithwolves.org/abo...s/social-wolf/

You won't see lions around a campfire feeling bad about eating an antelope.

Apropos of nothing. I’m sure the Pope eats meat too.

Goldfish? Is that what you call your own children?
Old June 5th 20, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 9:07:17 PM UTC-7, Oculus Lights wrote:
[...]

Since you have never read the bible and plainly have no intentions of ever doing so please don't talk about thinks you don't understand or your idea of history that never occurred.
Old June 6th 20, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Andy wrote:
[...]

You go to confession and then say 10 Our Fathers and 5 Hail Mary's and
you are clean.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 15th 20, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

On Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 11:52:55 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
[...]

Well being the Deacon ordain now 13 years I will pray regardless of what the others think. Seems to be a lot of folks these days who don't believe in a God or a higher power even. I tell you I have to keep pray as it relates to bikes because they are dangerous for sure at times and provide transportation. The world needs prayer and the Lord's assistance right now too.

I sometimes have been know in the very middle of ride to start praying a Hail Mary or Our Father. It to me is really an amazement that one cannot believe in the absolute truth and that it exist. Accidents just don't happen. Imagine you are out on a long ride 50 miles from anywhere and you have a broken chain and no spare. Surely because things just happen if wait long enough chain will simply manage to appear out of randomness. Like creation and the known exist "just happen."

I can't buy the logic but as it relates to bikes I still think you need plan ahead because is going to be along wait for the chain to show up.

Deacon Mark ( contemplating priesthood) oh my I have flipped.
Old June 17th 20, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, June 15, 2020 at 3:08:05 PM UTC-7, Mark Cleary wrote:
[...]

The Democrat Party has been pushing the idea that there should be no religion in government. And yet this country was founded on the Christian religion even to the point where we have "In God We Trust" on our very money. "One Nation under God, with liberty and justice for all" seems to have been replaced with Black Lives Matter.

I think it far more likely that we are going to see a rebirth of Christianity than more Sodom and Gomorrah.
Old June 17th 20, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/17/2020 9:58 AM, wrote:
[...]

It's your choice:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/sodom.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

A Dog's Prayer Simon Jester UK 0 September 20th 19 09:58 PM
Nativity Prayer of St. Augustine Claire Towny UK 4 December 25th 09 08:25 PM
Chalkbot is as worthless as prayer. Anton Berlin Racing 3 July 8th 09 09:25 PM
A short prayer.... Callistus Valerius Racing 8 June 12th 07 02:46 PM
The Cyclists Prayer Mark Johnson UK 3 March 9th 05 07:24 PM