Melb: Third cyclist critical after road accidents

Old September 29th 06, 06:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

Default Melb: Third cyclist critical after road accidents

Not good, not good at all. ;(

I'm hearing more anecdotes regarding verbal abuse from motorists
towards Melbourne cyclists, and possibly the recent Beach Ride palaver,
Southbank issues and general anti-cyclist media bias isn't helping one
iota towards improving road user interactions.

That said, we really don't know what may causing this 'spike' in
incidents, other than factors such as the increasing number of cyclists
on the roads possibly due to spring weather, general popularity, school
holidays, training for the ATB etc.

********

Third cyclist critical after road accidents
http://tinyurl.com/gs5m8

September 29, 2006 - 2:02PM

A third cyclist is in hospital with serious head injuries after being
hit by a car.

The ambulance service said a young boy was hit by a car at about
12.40pm in Noble Park and is in a serious condition in the Royal
Children's Hospital.

He is the fourth cyclist to be hit by a car in the past 24 hours.

Two other cyclists remain in hospital with serious head injuries after
they were struck by vehicles in separate incidents earlier today.

A man in his late 70s was hit by a car at the intersection of Monbulk
Road and Perrins Creek Road in Kallista at about 10.40am.

He was airlifted to the Alfred Hospital with head injuries and is in a
serious condition, according to an ambulance spokeswoman.

In a separate incident, a man in his 20s was hit by a truck at about
11am at the intersection of Clayton Road and Bayview Road in Bayview.

An ambulance service spokeswoman says the 20-year-old is also in a
serious condition with head injuries and has been taken to the Royal
Melbourne Hospital.

The three incidents follow the death of a cyclist who fell from his
bike and was struck by a car in St Albans yesterday.

The 45-year-old was riding south on St Albans Road when he fell from
his bike near Merton Street and was hit by a car about 10.30pm
yesterday.
The motorist, who was not injured, stopped to assist but the cyclist
died at the scene.

theage.com.au

--
cfsmtb

Old September 29th 06, 06:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ghostgum

cfsmtb Wrote:
In a separate incident, a man in his 20s was hit by a truck at about
11am at the intersection of Clayton Road and Bayview Road in Bayview.
The suburb is Clayton, not Bayview. That's the western entrance to

Monash Uni. So it was probably a Uni student going to or from Uni.
It's an uncontrolled intersection. Doing a right hand turn out of
Bayview Rd to head north along Clayton Rd required a bit of patience
when I used to do it 15 years ago. Sight lines are good at the
intersection. The left lane of Clayton Rd is not wide, so you did get
the odd vehicle passing a bit close.

--
ghostgum

Old September 29th 06, 11:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ray

ghostgum wrote:
cfsmtb Wrote:

In a separate incident, a man in his 20s was hit by a truck at about
11am at the intersection of Clayton Road and Bayview Road in Bayview.
The suburb is Clayton, not Bayview. That's the western entrance to

Monash Uni. So it was probably a Uni student going to or from Uni.
It's an uncontrolled intersection. Doing a right hand turn out of
Bayview Rd to head north along Clayton Rd required a bit of patience
when I used to do it 15 years ago. Sight lines are good at the
intersection. The left lane of Clayton Rd is not wide, so you did get
the odd vehicle passing a bit close.

It does seem to be a problem, but I'm not sure it's any worse than
usual. I noticed when petrol was $1.40 a litre idiot drivers were still
driving like idiots. A lot of the `grid' roads are barely adequate for
cyclist + car, Waverley Rd (where I used to live) and Dorset Rd (where I
live now) are good examples.
Persuade road engineers to design decent roads and you might get
somewhere. I shook our local MP up the other night by suggesting at a
public meeting that council take an innovative approach to public
transport off its own bat. She passed it off with a flip comment but was
obviously rattled.
Old September 30th 06, 08:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
dewatf

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 15:27:49 +1000, cfsmtb wrote:

Not good, not good at all. ;(

I'm hearing more anecdotes regarding verbal abuse from motorists
towards Melbourne cyclists, and possibly the recent Beach Ride palaver,
Southbank issues and general anti-cyclist media bias isn't helping one
iota towards improving road user interactions.

That said, we really don't know what may causing this 'spike' in
incidents, other than factors such as the increasing number of cyclists
on the roads possibly due to spring weather, general popularity, school
holidays, training for the ATB etc.

Probably just a random distribution, they don't happen at regularly spaced
intervals. Though if the media is selective in reporting accidents then a
cluster will attract more press coverage.

One was a cylist falling off their bike under a car, two were intersection
accidents and the fourth unspecified. All sound like the usual road
accidents, not any form of aggression or politics.

dewatf.