Bonking + Bicycles

Old May 24th 20, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Bonking + Bicycles

Have any of you been on a ride where you've bonked to the point that every single pedal stroke no matter how low a gear you're in or how calm the winds are, feels like it's all you can do to get that crankarm past the 12 0'clock position?

If so, how long did it take you to recover so that you were able to ride at your normal pace again?

If you ate soon after bonking, how long did it take you to then recover enough to ride further?

Cheers
Old May 24th 20, 06:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 1:07:52 AM UTC+2, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Have any of you been on a ride where you've bonked to the point that every single pedal stroke no matter how low a gear you're in or how calm the winds are, feels like it's all you can do to get that crankarm past the 12 0'clock position?

If so, how long did it take you to recover so that you were able to ride at your normal pace again?

If you ate soon after bonking, how long did it take you to then recover enough to ride further?

Cheers

Yes I have. Not fun. Depends what you eat, but if you pour in some gels it will take about 20 minutes. Most of the times I feel it coming and eat all I got with me at that mioment. Always carry a gel with me for fast recovery.

Lou
Old May 24th 20, 12:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

wrote:
On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 1:07:52 AM UTC+2, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Have any of you been on a ride where you've bonked to the point that
every single pedal stroke no matter how low a gear you're in or how calm
the winds are, feels like it's all you can do to get that crankarm past
the 12 0'clock position?

If so, how long did it take you to recover so that you were able to ride
at your normal pace again?

If you ate soon after bonking, how long did it take you to then recover
enough to ride further?

Cheers

Yes I have. Not fun. Depends what you eat, but if you pour in some gels
it will take about 20 minutes. Most of the times I feel it coming and eat
all I got with me at that mioment. Always carry a gel with me for fast recovery.

Lou

Same here. Maybe 20 minutes with a couple gels. Longer with solid food
depending on what it is and whether it makes me sick.

Now I carry gels and eat them occasionally through the ride. Drinking
something with electrolytes helps. Haven’t had problems since doing this.

Old May 24th 20, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/23/2020 6:07 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Have any of you been on a ride where you've bonked to the point that every single pedal stroke no matter how low a gear you're in or how calm the winds are, feels like it's all you can do to get that crankarm past the 12 0'clock position?

If so, how long did it take you to recover so that you were able to ride at your normal pace again?

If you ate soon after bonking, how long did it take you to then recover enough to ride further?

Cheers

Yes. It came on suddenly with severe fatigue and darkened
vision I could barely stand once off the bike. Riding
partner was in about the same state, 80~85 miles into a cool
wet windy century. We sat on the road for a couple of
minutes, then walked over to the field corn, ate some of it
raw, and were both just fine some ten minutes later.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 24th 20, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 5:20:03 PM UTC+2, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Happened to me in early spring when it was still rather cold at the end of the ride with 3 km to go and I didn't see it coming. Sweating, pale, blurred vision and shaking hands. I don't know how I got home. I sat on the garage floor for 10 minutes with a bottle of Fanta on the shelf. I negotiated for 10 minutes with myself how to get up and take the bottle of Fanta. 10 minutes after I drank it I was pretty OK.

Lou
Old May 24th 20, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 8:20:03 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/23/2020 6:07 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Have any of you been on a ride where you've bonked to the point that every single pedal stroke no matter how low a gear you're in or how calm the winds are, feels like it's all you can do to get that crankarm past the 12 0'clock position?

If so, how long did it take you to recover so that you were able to ride at your normal pace again?

If you ate soon after bonking, how long did it take you to then recover enough to ride further?

Cheers

Yes. It came on suddenly with severe fatigue and darkened
vision I could barely stand once off the bike. Riding
partner was in about the same state, 80~85 miles into a cool
wet windy century. We sat on the road for a couple of
minutes, then walked over to the field corn, ate some of it
raw, and were both just fine some ten minutes later.

Gak. You can break your teeth on field corn. My most colorful bonking story was riding back home from Santa Cruz over the mountains, absolutely running out of gas and stopping at the CalFire (then California Division of Forestry) station on Skyline and begging the resident fire fighters for food. They gave me some carrot stubs left over from something they were cooking up for dinner, which was enough to get me the 500 meters (or so) to the long down hill into civilization. I still had to ride back to SJ, but stopped for a sustaining chili dog at Happy Hound in Los Gatos. I don't bonk much these days. I just run out of gas, which cannot be fixed with a gel pack or chili dog.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 25th 20, 11:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Some people can do chilli dogs or cheeseburgers on rides but it kills me.
Maybe at the end with a cold beer but not during a ride.

Old May 25th 20, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 3:45:17 AM UTC-7, Duane wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I was really hungry and wanted some real food after bonking, and I was only ten miles from home, all flat city -- so I wasn't too worried about my stomach getting knotted up.

I rarely ever stop in the middle of a long ride to eat, and I never eat anything heavy. Sitting down and eating makes it too hard to get going again with my old joints, and I only do that when riding in groups or with friends.. When I stop with friends these days, its typically at a coffee shop to warm up in winter/spring. No meat.

BTW, I thought of you last weekend on a ride when I had to stop to pee. It's not like I'm holding it for the whole ride, I just usually don't have to pee. Right he https://tinyurl.com/ycuhmp9d A pioneer church porta-potty.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 26th 20, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

I have and takes 24 hours of nothing but rest, food and liquids. 1989 Chicago Marathon I ran whole way in 3:23 and it was hot 80 degrees in sun last 8 miles. I sat down at the end and could not get back up. I tried to stand and it all when white buzz. A friend found me and gave me a regular coke to drink. Within minutes got up and got to car drove home.

I of course was 30 years younger at the time. To this day I never stop and eat except on century I am pushing for time. I don’t even take water for 50 miles unless hot. I good for 59-70 but can bonk if I am low on fuel. No matter what a 28/34 gear is not easy.

Moral is probably fuel sugar coke ok!

Deacon Mark
Old May 26th 20, 02:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Not sure if I like the association. Lol
FWIW, he in Québec they’re staring to let us ride in small groups but no
facilities (porta-potty) are open. What do they think will happen with
that lol.

What is bonking? Roger Zoul General 23 July 6th 07 11:00 AM
Bonking after 20 miles? Zen Cohen General 10 July 3rd 07 06:32 PM
rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides BW General 1 October 18th 03 04:45 PM
rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides BW Rides 1 October 18th 03 04:45 PM
Bonking and food for a ride Sandy Christmus General 38 August 9th 03 08:44 PM