I need help please!!!

Old September 9th 03, 01:08 AM
chad

Default I need help please!!!

Hello all,
I am having trouble trying to fix my Murray Ultra Terrain Extreme 18
speed mountain bike.It has the "Grip Shift's".Both gears have froze
up.I am able to get them free but now I can't seem to get them to
change gears.Am I doing anything wrong?If any one has worked on this
before could you help me by walking my through it?Thanks again.
Old September 9th 03, 03:56 AM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 22:07:39 -0400, David L. Johnson
wrote:
I am having trouble trying to fix my Murray Ultra Terrain Extreme 18

1) Take it to a bike shop and let them fix it. This will cost maybe $50

For the same $50, you can buy a new bike of
equivelant quality at Wal Mart or Target or
some such store. It will be terrible, but
no worse than the Murray.

--
Rick Onanian
Old September 9th 03, 03:59 AM
CL

What did you do to "get them free" and what exactly do you mean by the gears
being "frozen"?

are the derailleurs not moving or are the shifters themselves locked up?

i would do some research and try swapping out the cables first. When you are
in the internals of the shifters and derailleurs, clean them out and
regrease/oil them.

a simple websearch brought up this:

http://www.sram24.com/techdoc/englis...shifterse.html

IIRC, most gripshift units are similar in cable replacement.

you can also replace the gripshifts with new 6/7 speed units found on ebay.
If you can't find them there I have an old set of 7 speed ones you can have
for a couple bucks + shipping.

new cables and housing should cost you in the neigborhood of $10. I would
wager your bike isn't worth much more than that so don't spend too much
money on it (def not a $50 tune up or anything like that). You can always
ride it as a fixie.