Should STI crossed shifter cables actually touch the downtube ?

Old September 8th 03, 11:15 PM
mark freedman

Default Should STI crossed shifter cables actually touch the downtube ?

I've read some of the discussions about reversing
the cable housing between the STI lever and cable stop,
then crossing the inner cables underneath the downtube
(on a road bike).

I just had a steel Mikado D'Iberville frame replaced with
their Aluminium frame. It has the non-round top tube
(triangular) and downtube (eliptical).

The mechanic reversed the cables from the STI levers to
the cable stops, and crossed the inner cables underneath
the downtube. They cross just where the 3rd water bottle
would mount. After 100 km, I can see the scuffing where the
cables touch the downtube. This seems like a bad idea;
they'll wear through the paint, then into the aluminium.

(I only noticed the crossed cables when I was trying
to diagnose incredibly bad shifting. I've also asked him
to put a slightly longer cable housing at the rear
derailleur loop, I think my old steel frame had an extra
inch for a more relaxed bend.)

The mechanic says this is how the new models are (the
old steel frame had straight routing, and the housing
abraded the head tube).

I looked at several road bikes with the same eliptical
downtube. Three had straight routing, two had the crossed
cables with about 1/4" clearance between cable and downtube,
one had crossed cables with hardly any visible clearance.
I couldn't find a shop with this particular model (Mikado
has changed the frame design several times since I bought
the steel-framed bike 3 years ago).

I've asked him to re-route the cables without crossing.
I'm more concerned with the cable rubbing against the
downtube than the cables rubbing against each other. Have
I missed some strong reason to avoid straight routing ?

Thanks