Buying a road bike - advice?

Old September 6th 03, 02:31 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Default Buying a road bike - advice?

David- I would probably avoid a carbon bike for durability reasons, if I were
you. I avoid them for myself. Also, don't get a bike with an all-carbon
fork. A carbon steerer tube is stupid-light for those of us north of 200
pounds. BRBR

This should be qualified to 'some' carbon framesets. Many are just fine for .1
offa ton riders as are most carbon steerer forks(Like a Reynolds).

Nelson Vails, not a small guy, has a Calfee Tetra, with a Reynolds fork(1 inch)
and has had zero problems. The entire 'Lotto(?) teams used Reynolds carbon
steerer forks at Roubaix, then used them the rest of the season.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 6th 03, 02:56 PM
H. M. Leary

In article ,
(Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

snip

Get a fit first, a genuine one,, on a fit cycle, with a fit person, first.
Then
try to see which framesets/stems will fit ya. Materials and components(altho
Campagnolo would be my choice) are minor when compared to fit.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

As Peter says get a PROPER fit, then maybe get another.
In the end (no pun intended) you the rider are the only one who will really know
if the bike fits.

Yo! Peter.

Do you know of a carbon fiber crank(set) triple that is compatable with a Campy
record 10s??

Saw Campy¹s 10s carbon fiber crankset - all $800 worth - at the LBS, but WTH it
was on a Moots Psyclo-YBB! The owner will keep the bike at her villa in
Itally...

Old September 6th 03, 06:25 PM
Rick Onanian

On 6 Sep 2003 05:24:44 +0950, Canucklehead
wrote:
Just completed my first century on an old mountain bike. Loved the whole

Wow! Congrats! I barely was able to make a metric
century on a modern road bike... (hey, maybe I
shouldn't be giving YOU advice, then, but I'll
do it anyway).

times a week - nothing competitive. I'm a big guy - 6'2" and 230lbs (but

I'm 210lbs.

Many questions ... alum vs steel vs carbon frame?

You forgot ti.

Ignore the frame material. Buy what feels best
when you ride it.

Some people here will say you must stay away from
one or another material. Others will say you must
have a specific material. They're both wrong.

I've always been partial to Aluminum, although I
have found that in a bicycling application, other
metals are much more competitive with it.

Triple recommended?

Absolutely. You can ignore the small ring if you
want on a triple, but you can't decide to go easy
on your knees (or whole body) when you see that
hill coming up if you haven't got a triple.

Further, you can (if you so please) have a very
closely spaced cassette and still get a wide
range with a triple.

Looked at Trek, Lemond, Klein and was interested in the Scattante (on
Supergo website). Components - SHimano 105? Ultegra? does it matter?

My bike is mostly 105, and I love it.

Would you buy a bike on the web?

Sometimes those Scattantes look like an offer I
can't refuse; but it seems like a whole lot of
trouble to buy a bike on the web.

I suspect I'm going to build my next bike
myself anyway.

Suggestions & recommendations greatly appreciated.

--
Rick Onanian
Old September 6th 03, 08:39 PM
John Albergo

Canucklehead wrote:

Just completed my first century on an old mountain bike. Loved the whole
experience (except perhaps some of the hill climbs during training - too
hard on an old guy) - and want to do more riding. I am looking at doing
a few centuries next year, but promised myself I would get a 'proper'
bike first. So, I would appreciate some advice on what to look for.

I am not going to be doing any racing, just enjoy long rides a couple
times a week - nothing competitive. I'm a big guy - 6'2" and 230lbs (but
slimming down ;-)). If this means anything.

Many questions ... alum vs steel vs carbon frame? Triple recommended?
Looked at Trek, Lemond, Klein and was interested in the Scattante (on
Supergo website). Components - SHimano 105? Ultegra? does it matter?
Would you buy a bike on the web?

Suggestions & recommendations greatly appreciated.

As far as frame materials, I'd stick with steel -- can take the most
hard use/abuse with fewest worries. Like most of us, saving a pound or
so on the frame isn't worth the potential disadvantages or fussiness of
the other materials. A good steel frame is still plenty light and will
serve well.

For someone who isn't contemplating keeping a complete stable of bikes
on hand, get something with maximum versatility. To me that suggests
the "touring bike".

So, what I'm saying is "Steel touring bike".

I wouldn't get a bike without a triple chainwheel. Again it's an issue
of trading a few ounces for maximum useability. A no- brainer as far as
I'm concerned, but there are those who will suggest that "real riders"
don't need no sissy granny gears. If you can get over the passes in a
42/24 god bless you. The only reason to not get a triple IMO is if
you'd NEVER use it. That depends on you. Having replaced the small
ring from wear; that's not my situation.

Old September 6th 03, 09:43 PM
Eric Murray

In article ,
Canucklehead wrote:
Just completed my first century on an old mountain bike.

My first century was on a 35 lb mid-80s mountain bike.
The road bike riders I passed up hill looked ****ed!

Beleive me, any road bike you get is going to be more
comfortable for road riding than a MTB with no bar ends.

Many questions ... alum vs steel vs carbon frame?

Any will work. It's the construction more
than the material. For example I have an old Vitus 979
aluminum frame made from normal sized aluminum tubing
that's very comfortable and flexible... the opposite of
what people who have only seen oversize aluminum frames
think about aluminum.

Ti frames can be made to ride very nicely, but might be
a bit out of your price range. I have a Ti Airborne
Zeppelin which I love. Their less expensive Ti road frame
with 105 would be a pretty nice bike. They do sell through
local bike stores in addition to the web site.

Triple recommended?

Yes.

Looked at Trek, Lemond, Klein and was interested in the Scattante (on
Supergo website). Components - SHimano 105? Ultegra? does it matter?

It does a little. But once you get to 105, the amount of quality
improvement per unit of added cost plummets.

Would you buy a bike on the web?

If you have a good idea what you want and how bikes fit you, mail
order can be ok.
Otherwise, go to a LBS. Or perhaps Mark at Habanero.
I've heard a lot of good things about him.

Eric

Old September 7th 03, 02:27 AM
Keith Boone

Canucklehead wrote:
Just completed my first century on an old mountain bike. Loved the whole
experience (except perhaps some of the hill climbs during training - too
hard on an old guy) - and want to do more riding. I am looking at doing
a few centuries next year, but promised myself I would get a 'proper'
bike first. So, I would appreciate some advice on what to look for.

I am not going to be doing any racing, just enjoy long rides a couple
times a week - nothing competitive. I'm a big guy - 6'2" and 230lbs (but
slimming down ;-)). If this means anything.

Many questions ... alum vs steel vs carbon frame? Triple recommended?
Looked at Trek, Lemond, Klein and was interested in the Scattante (on
Supergo website). Components - SHimano 105? Ultegra? does it matter?
Would you buy a bike on the web?

Suggestions & recommendations greatly appreciated.

Just received my new road bike: Marinoni Ciclo, with Campy Veloce 10 speed.
It's a steel frame (but fairly light), carbon fork, slightly relaxed
frame geometry which gives it a softer ride. Basically this is a "sport"
touring bike. Quite zippy enough for me, but a smoother ride than a true
"racing" bike. Perfect for a guy like me at 48 years old and over 200 lbs.

The price was $2300 Cdn, which translates to approx $1650 US at todays rate.
I have only just put the 1st hundred miles on this bike, but already I love
it. I was measured at the bike shop for perfect fit, and then waited six
weeks for delivery. :-( Oh well, it was well worth the wait, and it was
delivered on the exact date it was promised. Made in Montreal Canada.
You can find a lot of good reviews of Marinoni if you do a google search.

http://www.bikespecialties.com/marinoni/ciclo.html

Old September 7th 03, 02:27 PM
Mike Lackey

Always deal with a shop.

Find a bike that fits, really well, and propose to it. How do you know when
you've found one that fits? Usually, it just feels right. Tracks straight,
not scary in the corners, brake levers not too far away, etc. Use the
force....

Steel, ti, alum, carbon... doesn't matter, it's usually a personal
preference. You can't get a bad bike if you deal with a shop.

Have you ever heard anybody say they don't like their {steel, ti, alum,
crabon} bike? Neither have I.

Triples are like having a shotgun under the bed. Maybe you won't need it,
but it's good to know it's there if you do. If you find a bike you like,
but it's a double, negotiate with the shop to change it out.

Munt an inexpensive set of 25c or 28c tires. Steel beads are just fine.
Pump 'em up hard for fast rides, deflate a bit for comfort on long ones.
Don't believe the marketing hype about bigger tires being too heavy or
having too much rolling resistance, it's hogwash. You can finish a hilly
century in 6:05 (including stops) on an RS-11 with Continental 700x28 Sport
1000's.

Then ride, but don't become obsessed. Swim, run, play tennis, pickup
basketball, whatever. Balance is the key, all things in moderation.

I've probably told you how to build a watch.

Mike

Old September 7th 03, 10:06 PM
Aptical Foddering Institute

In article , jero7
@webtv.net says...
MAY I SUGGEST SOMETHING LIKE THIS BIKE

[image/jpeg,Video Snapshot]

NO.
Old September 7th 03, 10:13 PM
Werehatrack

7 bleeding hundred lines could have been replaced by one link to
wherever that picture was already posted.

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Old September 10th 03, 06:35 PM
Canucklehead

Thanks very much to all of you for your great input. You have convinced
me that going the LBS route makes a lot of sense - need to ensure a
proper fit for long ride comfort. I guess I have some test-riding to do.

I am also sold on the triple - I might need to have that for some of the
rides out here in Colorado. I don't want to pop an artery on the "High
Grade" portion of Deer Creek Canyon .

Qui Si Parla Ca - any recommendations for a good LBS in the south end of
Denver (Littleton/Highlands Ranch)?

Thanks again - I'll check back after I lighten my wallet