"Car crashes into Alnwick market stalls, injuring five".

Old August 6th 11, 08:09 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
joe[_3_]

Default "Car crashes into Alnwick market stalls, injuring five".

JNugent wrote:

The trouble with market stalls is that too often, they're in the
middle of the road.

The more civilised places (Liverpool and Leeds, for instance) stopped
that custom over a century ago and placed their retail markets inside
purpose built market halls.

They should try this.

http://www.wimp.com/vegetablemarket/

Old August 6th 11, 08:14 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
joe[_3_]

Doug wrote:

On 5-Aug-2011, Ken Phillips wrote:

On 05/08/2011 06:56, Doug wrote:
Further confirmation that nowhere is safe from these maniac
motorists. Cyclists had better watch out! Why can't motorists
stay on roads where they
belong?

Pot calling kettle???

Why can't cyclists stay on roads where they belong, and where by law
they are mandated to be? Instead of them being on pavements risking
the health of pedestrians?
I have no problems cycling on roads, even busy ones, so why so many
bikes (with adult riders!) on the pavements? Oh yeah, and buy some
bloody lights before winter, then the motorists and everyone else,
including pedestrians, can see you properly.

The explanation for pavement cycling is very simple,
self-preservation. Those who do it consider that our roads have
become much too dangerous for them, mainly because of the massive
proliferation of car use. The way to get cyclists off pavements is to
remove dangerous drivers from our roads. Driving bans should be for
life.

So you agree, cycling on the footpaths is wrong?

Then the next stage is to ban the cyclists, and crush their bikes.

Then we can start with the dangerous drivers, and force them to buy
pushbikes and yellow lycra with orange helmets, until they see the
error of their ways. For really dangerous drivers, we can force them to
ride 3 abreast and show them how dangerous the roads can be, when you
are a moron.

Old August 6th 11, 09:14 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 06/08/2011 07:07, Doug wrote:

Ken wrote:
Doug wrote:

Further confirmation that nowhere is safe from these maniac motorists.
Cyclists had better watch out! Why can't motorists stay on roads where
they belong?

Pot calling kettle???

Why can't cyclists stay on roads where they belong, and where by law
they are mandated to be? Instead of them being on pavements risking the
health of pedestrians?
I have no problems cycling on roads, even busy ones, so why so many
bikes (with adult riders!) on the pavements? Oh yeah, and buy some
bloody lights before winter, then the motorists and everyone else,
including pedestrians, can see you properly.

The explanation for pavement cycling is very simple, self-preservation...

....coupled with sociopathy.

Those who do it consider that our roads have become much too dangerous for
them, mainly because of the massive proliferation of car use. The way to get
cyclists off pavements is to...

....impose adequate punishment for what is a quite nasty offence. Immediate
confiscation and public destruction of the machine in every observed case (no
need for a conviction) in an effort at prevention and deterrence, with a
significant fine for conviction on the first offence detected, escalating
rapidly for repeat offences.

Except for imprisonment, in the absence of a proper registration and
licensing system for cyclists, there is no other form of punishment available.
Old August 6th 11, 12:56 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Prai Jei

Doug set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time continuum:

"Five people have been injured after a car crashed into several market
stalls in a Northumberland town.

Police said the silver Ford Cougar, driven by a woman, crashed in Alnwick
Market Place at about 16:30 BST injuring three women and two men.

AA man: So that's what you meant when you said the car stalled?
--
ΞΎ Proud to be curly

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply
Old August 6th 11, 08:39 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Ken Phillips

On 06/08/2011 07:07, Doug wrote:
On 5-Aug-2011, Ken wrote:

On 05/08/2011 06:56, Doug wrote:
[...]

Self preservation?? From what? Your own stupidity? Your own lack of
observation skills? Your own inability to cope? Your own lack of
confidence and anticipation skills?
In 20+ years, I have never once felt threatened by traffic, or the
actions of any one motorist, be they stupid, ignorant, pushy, or
whatever, while I've been cycling. Recently I was very nearly in
collision with a car, because the driver simply hadn't seen me, and was
far too busy operating a mobile phone at the time, fortunately I'd seen
them, and what they were stupidly about to, so I coped, and didn't
collide, but only just, yes I was angry, but that's life, and I learned
something as well.
If the traffics busy, you either get assertive, or you slow down, or
even heaven forbid, stop, assess the situation, and then continue, thus
not putting yourself deliberately in danger.
It's you Doug, and your like, always making, or thinking targets of
yourself, always feeling the victim. Just grow a pair, and get off the
damn pavements, cars don't bite! You're just after a convenient excuse
to break the law and make cycling easier, albeit bumpier, while yourself
becoming the 'weapon' that threatens someone else in turn.

Ken
Old August 6th 11, 08:44 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
bod

On 06/08/2011 20:39, Ken Phillips wrote:
On 06/08/2011 07:07, Doug wrote:
On 5-Aug-2011, Ken wrote:

On 05/08/2011 06:56, Doug wrote:
[...]

Totally agree with all that. I'm a motorist but also cycle and have
cycled since I was 6 yrs old and never felt threatened by cars. It's all
about using your common sense......simple.

Oh! that's 57 yrs of cycling, so where Doug gets all this nonsense, I'll
never know.
Old August 6th 11, 09:00 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 06/08/2011 07:07, Doug wrote:
On 5-Aug-2011, Ken wrote:

On 05/08/2011 06:56, Doug wrote:
[...]

You'll get yourself banned & end up being called things like 'not a real
cyclist', 'closet motorist', etc if you keep posting sense like that.
Old August 6th 11, 09:12 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_34_]

On 06/08/2011 20:39, Ken Phillips wrote:
On 06/08/2011 07:07, Doug wrote:
On 5-Aug-2011, Ken
wrote:

On 05/08/2011 06:56, Doug wrote:
[...]

The fact that people ride on the footway out of genuine fear of motor
traffic is well known, that's why the guidelines to police say that
people doing so in a responsible manner should not be prosecuted, but
actually it appears that in doing so they are actually increasing their
risk not decreasing it. They are reducing a low risk (being hit from
behind by same-direction traffic) at the expense of increasing a much
higher risk (riding out of the traffic stream, so bringing danger at
road junctions and other points of conflict).

Much better to get good training and ride properly and legally.

- --
Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed
to be worth at least what you paid for them.
PGP public key at http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public.key
Old August 6th 11, 11:07 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Tony Grant

On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 21:12:59 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On 06/08/2011 20:39, Ken Phillips wrote:
On 06/08/2011 07:07, Doug wrote:
On 5-Aug-2011, Ken
wrote:

On 05/08/2011 06:56, Doug wrote:
[...]

Do you have a reference for that claim please, I am not aware of it
Old August 6th 11, 11:23 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_34_]