How Much Should "Cycling Allowance" Be?

Old August 8th 11, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

Default How Much Should "Cycling Allowance" Be?

On 08/08/2011 10:43, Roger Merriman wrote:
Simon wrote:

"Roger wrote in message
Just zis Guy, you wrote:

big snips

Tyres, cycling shoes, chains, new cassettes, rims. A fair number of
things that actually do wear out if you do meaningful mileage on a bike,
none of which are free. And of course the cost of the bike itself.

-
Choice of bike and components helps a lot, to take a example lot of the
high milage commutors use race tyres, so they do end up wearing them out
fairly rapidly.

tougher commute/touring tyres will last and last.

Costs vary widely.
My 10-speed cassette which I replaced from a compo payout was 300 quid.

well indeed thats race stuff considering that if your racking up a fair
milage thats a lot to pay out every time you wear out the cassette.

The impression I get there is that £300 is a lot for that particular part of
a bike. Indeed, it must be, since you can get a whole bike for less than its
cost.

There is a danger in thinking in that rates have to be set in terms of
expensive bikes or bike parts. It's analogous to arguing that car mileage
rates should be a lot higher because some people drive Maseratis. The car
rate has to be set at a fair average of the costs of running an everyday car,
not the costs of the minimum spend required to light up the eyes of Jeremy
Clarkson. And with bikes, it's the same (but with MUCH lower mileage costs of
course).
Old August 8th 11, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_34_]

Old August 8th 11, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

Simon wrote:

"Roger wrote in message
Just zis Guy, you wrote:

[...]

it is indeed! knock a zero off for more normal cassettes.

There is a danger in thinking in that rates have to be set in terms of
expensive bikes or bike parts. It's analogous to arguing that car mileage
rates should be a lot higher because some people drive Maseratis. The car
rate has to be set at a fair average of the costs of running an everyday car,
not the costs of the minimum spend required to light up the eyes of Jeremy
Clarkson. And with bikes, it's the same (but with MUCH lower mileage costs of
course).

Roger.
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old August 9th 11, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 19:08:37 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

snip

And I am travelling across London by bike, working on a contract. I am
home-based so this is company business mileage.

Have you left Dell and got a job as a courier now?

Still - it's a good step up; well done.

--

Total number of posts to URC from
IP Address:80.254.146.36 over 6 years = 7

Guy Chapman : 5
Lou Knee: 2

Coincidence?
(Guy Chapman Dell Magnet)
Old August 9th 11, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Roger Merriman" wrote in message
JNugent wrote:

well indeed thats race stuff considering that if your racking up a fair
milage thats a lot to pay out every time you wear out the cassette.

The impression I get there is that £300 is a lot for that particular part
of
a bike. Indeed, it must be, since you can get a whole bike for less than
its
cost.

it is indeed! knock a zero off for more normal cassettes.

I did say it was paid for out of compo - a driver who knocked me off my bike
paid for it out of his insurance.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old August 9th 11, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

JNugent wrote:

well indeed thats race stuff considering that if your racking up a fair
milage thats a lot to pay out every time you wear out the cassette.

The impression I get there is that £300 is a lot for that particular part
of
a bike. Indeed, it must be, since you can get a whole bike for less than
its
cost.

it is indeed! knock a zero off for more normal cassettes.

I did say it was paid for out of compo - a driver who knocked me off my bike
paid for it out of his insurance.

true though you must of paid for it for the first one.

Roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old August 9th 11, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
Tyres, cycling shoes, chains, new cassettes, rims. A fair number of
things that actually do wear out if you do meaningful mileage on a bike,
none of which are free. And of course the cost of the bike itself.

A local Council gets in on the act, but on the Cyclescheme.

http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/ne...ikes_1_3659978

Old August 9th 11, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Roger Merriman" wrote in message

it is indeed! knock a zero off for more normal cassettes.

I did say it was paid for out of compo - a driver who knocked me off my
bike
paid for it out of his insurance.

true though you must have paid for it for the first one.

No, I had a pair of Fulcrum Racing 1's with a 10 speed Chorus cassette which
I upgraded to Campagnolo Shamal Ultra wheels with a 10 speed Ti Campag
Record cassette. The insurance company did not check up on anything other
than my sunglasses for some reason.

Old August 10th 11, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

JNugent wrote:

well indeed thats race stuff considering that if your racking up a
fair
milage thats a lot to pay out every time you wear out the cassette.

The impression I get there is that £300 is a lot for that particular
part of
a bike. Indeed, it must be, since you can get a whole bike for less
than its
cost.

it is indeed! knock a zero off for more normal cassettes.

I did say it was paid for out of compo - a driver who knocked me off my
bike paid for it out of his insurance.

Was that his fridge freezer insurance?

University