Seatpost shim question

Old September 9th 03, 01:04 AM
Rick Onanian

Default Seatpost shim question

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 01:08:05 GMT, wannagofast wrote:
Perhaps some scrap rain gutter or flashing. R U near a new home
construction site, maybe you find a scrap of something there?

that's 26.0mm, and the bike most needful of such an adornment wears a
26.4mm post as original equipment. I'm fresh out of .007" sheet shim

Standard rain gutter is .032" or 0.8128 mm...twice
as thick as will work. Downspout is thinner, but
corrugated. Most flashing is too thick too.

A piece of standard step flashing ought to be almost
perfect at .016" or 0.4064 mm. You might go to a
roofing supply company, or even a roofing installer,
and ask for a single piece; they'll probably give it
to you free.

Step flashing is usually 5x7" mill finished Al.

--
Rick Onanian
Old September 9th 03, 02:51 AM
Werehatrack

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 20:04:50 -0400, Rick Onanian
may have said:

A piece of standard step flashing ought to be almost
perfect at .016" or 0.4064 mm. You might go to a
roofing supply company, or even a roofing installer,
and ask for a single piece; they'll probably give it
to you free.

Umm, no, that's twice the thickness needed; there's 0.4mm difference
in diameter, not radius.

Didn't have time to mess with it today; will deal tomorrow.

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Old September 9th 03, 03:52 AM
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 01:51:38 GMT, Werehatrack
wrote:
perfect at .016" or 0.4064 mm. You might go to a

Umm, no, that's twice the thickness needed; there's 0.4mm difference
in diameter, not radius.

Of course. That's why I'm in the roofing business,
not the bicycle shim business. BFG

In that case, there's nothing that I can think of
in construction that would be particularly useful.

Didn't have time to mess with it today; will deal tomorrow.

Good luck!

--
Rick Onanian
Old September 9th 03, 03:24 PM
Werehatrack

wrote:
perfect at .016" or 0.4064 mm. You might go to a

Umm, no, that's twice the thickness needed; there's 0.4mm difference
in diameter, not radius.

Of course. That's why I'm in the roofing business,
not the bicycle shim business. BFG

In that case, there's nothing that I can think of
in construction that would be particularly useful.

Actually, I was hoping someone would know of a common item that was
the right thickness; you were on the right frequency there, just a bit
off on the amplitude.

It appears that the coke can trick is going to look like it works for
the moment. Time will tell if there's really a problem.

Training question Franck Mangin Racing 2 April 7th 04 05:50 AM
Carbon Fiber Seatpost and Rack ? Raoul Duke General 5 March 19th 04 12:11 AM
Handlebar Shim Question Jim Edgar Techniques 2 July 29th 03 02:37 PM
front derailleur shim Robert Strickland Techniques 7 July 23rd 03 01:49 PM