Lowrider racks

Old October 10th 05, 10:10 PM
Arellcat

Default Lowrider racks

Hi all,

I have a decision to make. I'm going to buy a front rack, lowrider style,
now that I have a pair of Carradice panniers to hang on it. My bike's forks
have the appropriate braze-ons on the dropouts and halfway up the fork legs
(although on the outside only...long story). That excludes some racks such
as the Blackburn Custom Lowrider or Tubus Duo which attach either side of
the fork leg. The pannier hardware works with 8-10mm tube and clamps right
around the tube.

So far I'm considering one of the Tubus Tara or Ergo racks, the Blackburn
Standard Lowrider or Bor Yeuh equivalent. I've also been shown a Topeak
rack which seemed a bit heavy but might be a contender. What *is* the deal
with the Blackburn arrangement of a flat plate across the top sides of their
rack? Can this accommodate pannier fixings that wrap right around or just
"hook" style? The Tubus racks seem to get good user feedback but they're
quite expensive all the same. I'd take a pannier into the shop to try out
the different racks, except no-one seems to have any lowriders in stock
right now other than one Blackburn. Any opinions would be most welcome.

Becky

Old October 10th 05, 10:26 PM
Volker Leimann

Arellcat schrieb:
[...]

Yes, the Tubus are expensive, but these are the best and they last for
ever and the most panniers fit very good on the racks.
I use Tubus racks (Duo and Cargo) since years without any problems and
heavy loaded.
Old October 10th 05, 11:39 PM
chris French

In message , Arellcat
writes
Hi all,

I have a decision to make. I'm going to buy a front rack, lowrider style,

So far I'm considering one of the Tubus Tara or Ergo racks, the Blackburn
Standard Lowrider or Bor Yeuh equivalent. I've also been shown a Topeak
rack which seemed a bit heavy but might be a contender. What *is* the deal
with the Blackburn arrangement of a flat plate across the top sides of their
rack? Can this accommodate pannier fixings that wrap right around or just
"hook" style?

I'd have to try it I have an old one, but I imagine only the hook style.
It is an old design, predating modern pannier hooks. I also managed to
break mine on tour in Ireland (not terminally, but it might have been if
I'd not found a bunch of monks and nuns to repair it (I kid you not -
they had marine engineering workshop)

The Tubus racks seem to get good user feedback

Yep, another satisfied customer.

but they're
quite expensive all the same.

There is a reason for the good feedback... :-)

I'd take a pannier into the shop to try out
the different racks, except no-one seems to have any lowriders in stock
right now other than one Blackburn. Any opinions would be most welcome.

I'd go for a Tubus (or another Cromo rack such as those by SJSC) if you
can afford it/justify it/think it's worth it etc.

If not I'd forget the Blackburn racks a d go with A Bor Yeuh or other
cheaper copy.
--
Chris French

Old October 11th 05, 12:02 AM
Volker Leimann

Arellcat schrieb:
[...]

Yes, the Tubus racks are expensive but these are the best racks you can
buy, the Blackburn and his clones have the problem that the "Klickfix"
hooks on your Carradice panniers can't close, the plate disturbs.
Tubular steel rack like the Tubus are light and very durable, last for
ever and the most panniers fit perfectly, I use Tubus racks on my
bike for years (Duo & Cargo) without any problems.

Old October 11th 05, 12:49 AM
Jon Senior

Arellcat wrote:
Any opinions would be most welcome.

I have a Bor Yeuh Custom one which I've yet to work out how to put onto
the bent. Until such a time as I do, feel free to borrow it and see if
you can fit it to your strangely one-sided forks!

Failing that, I've also got a brazing torch and some rack bosses.

Jon
Old October 12th 05, 10:27 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

I submit that on or about Mon, 10 Oct 2005 21:10:57 GMT, the person
known to the court as "Arellcat"
made a statement in
Your Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

My bike's forks
have the appropriate braze-ons on the dropouts and halfway up the fork legs
(although on the outside only...long story).

But... but... you have a Speedy!

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old October 12th 05, 10:39 AM
Peter Clinch

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

But... but... you have a Speedy!

Which is, AFAICT, not admired the world over because of its amazing
4-pannier luggage capacity... (likewise Becky's Speedmachine)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old October 12th 05, 10:46 PM
Arellcat

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

But... but... you have a Speedy!

Not, as Pete noted, renowed for its luggage capacity. Or for its ability to
be carried on trains frequenting either the East or West coast main lines!
(cf. recent GNER policy) Sometimes a bog standard bike is the option that
simply presents the least hassle. Going to inspect a Tubus rack, as
apparently EBC does have some in stock after all.

Then I might have a think about building the equivalent for my folding bike,
just for fun. After all, the panniers are probably neat enough to fit a 20"
wheel.

Becky

Old October 15th 05, 05:11 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Arellcat" sd / msg
dtd Wed, 12 Oct 2005
21:46:15 GMT:

Not, as Pete noted, renowed for its luggage capacity. Or for its ability to
be carried on trains frequenting either the East or West coast main lines!

I can sympathise with that. But Bromptons take a pannier mounted on
the head tube :-)

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

FS:Karrimor universal panniers + Lowrider racks David Smith UK 0 January 30th 05 10:57 PM
Lowrider in cap city? laguey Marketplace 2 June 21st 04 05:10 PM
National Trust Cycle Racks Tim Hall UK 7 June 6th 04 12:15 AM
rear hitch bike rack curt General 12 March 18th 04 09:55 PM