Tire pressure

Old May 22nd 08, 06:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hydrophidian

Default Tire pressure

I have a Torker DX 24" with a Kenda Kenitics tire that's rated
30-50psi.

I'm starting to do alot of hopping around and it appears that the tire
could use a bit of air. Considering my weight(230lbs) should I keep it
up at 50psi or, should I keep it lower? I'm unsure where the pressure
is right now but, I'm sure that it's not up to full capacity.

Just trying to avoid damaging it.

-Rico
Old May 22nd 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mx597turbo

I have a 24" LX and have mine at 40psi. I weigh 150lbs. You can easily
go 50-55psi.

--
mx597turbo
Old May 22nd 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

Generally, hopping is easier with less air in the tire. Many people
doing trials and MUni use just enough air to keep the tire from
bottoming out; in your case you can probably go even below 30psi if you
want to.

Less air means the tire is squishier and takes more energy to ride, but
it also means it's easier to get the compression you want when you're
hopping, and it rolls over bumps better.

--
tholub
Old May 22nd 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Are you kiding below 30 psi for a 250lb person? He would bottom out
every time! Trust me keep it at around 40 psi if your doing trials and
around 45-50 psi if your doing muni.

Cam

Old May 22nd 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Grinn

I'd assume as long as you're not rimming it, you should be fine.
Experiment til you find a good medium.

--
Grinn

Why use a large word when a more diminutive one would suffice?
Old May 22nd 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tmoyer

No one can tell you what pressure to put in your tire unless they're
using the same tire and wheel size and they weigh the same as you.

Too low is when you're bottoming out the rim on the ground. Too high is
when you blow the tire bead off the rim. Everything in between is
personal preference.

For hopping and muni, I like my tire pressure low.

To find out how low you can go, let some air out. Then go do some
vigorous hopping. Still not bottoming out? Let some more air out.
Bottoming out yet? If so, put a couple of psi back in, and then check
it with a pressure gauge so you know what to pump it up to the next
time.

--
tmoyer

')--360unispin08--O'
(http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=HPwf_TA17xo)
Old May 23rd 08, 11:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

For a 3"-ish muni tyre, 1psi for every 10lb of rider weight is usually a
good starting point, which would be 23psi for you. Then adjust it
depending on your riding style and terrain - if you keep bottoming out
or the tyre keeps folding, up the pressure a bit; if you're getting
bounced off the pedals on roots and rocks, lower it a bit.

I think your tyre is probably a 2.6" (?) and may have thinner side
walls than the likes of a Duro, so you may be best to start a little
bit above the 23psi, but not much. I ride my 26x3" at somewhere
between 15 and 20psi depending on how rocky the route is, and I weigh
about 12 stone (168lbs). I don't do big drops though (nothing more
than 18" or so).

Don't take too much notice of the recommended pressure on the tyre.

Rob

--
rob.northcott
Old May 24th 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hydrophidian

I checked the tire and it was at 30psi so, I raised it to 50psi and
tried it. It sucked! Hard as a rock. So, I started lowering it a
little at a time and found that a comfortable level was 40psi.
Anything lower and it feels too soft. Anything higher just feels too
tight.

I don't really want to do any severe drops. Nothing more than 6-12
inches. I also don't really think that I'm going to go off-roading on
it so, having it a bit tighter than that is nicely comfortable. I've
been watching alot of freestyle stuff on youtube lately and really dig
the smoothness of it. That's probably what I'll gravitate toward.
Hell, once I get better I might change my mind but, for now, that's
the plan.

Thanks for all the input.

-Rico

Tire pressure AncientMuniDude Unicycling 3 November 12th 07 04:03 AM
Tire pressure NKahler Unicycling 0 November 10th 07 01:47 AM
Tire Pressure Aaron Egan Unicycling 5 September 27th 06 12:24 AM
Tire pressure Unitik908 Unicycling 5 December 27th 05 05:05 PM
tIre pressure gpickett00 Unicycling 26 January 1st 05 08:44 PM