LBS doesn't carry bikes I might want

Old August 8th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Parker

Default LBS doesn't carry bikes I might want

I've been looking for a new bike, and my research on the web points me
to a few I might like (Specialized Sequoia Elite; Cannondale Touring
2) ... but none of the shops in my area (or even further out) carry
them.

They say they could order them, but only if I first put down a deposit
(e.g. 20%) and commit to purchasing them -- sight unseen! That's not
very customer-friendly, as I would certainly want to test ride the
bikes and also determine the proper size.

What's a prospective buyer to do?

- Tom
Old August 8th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Aug 8, 1:53*pm, Tom Parker wrote:
I've been looking for a new bike, and my research on the web points me
to a few I might like (Specialized Sequoia Elite; Cannondale Touring
2) ... but none of the shops in my area (or even further out) carry
them.

They say they could order them, but only if I first put down a deposit
(e.g. 20%) and commit to purchasing them -- sight unseen! *That's not
very customer-friendly, as I would certainly want to test ride the
bikes and also determine the proper size.

Once a bike is built, the shop cannot send it back for credit. It's
not about being rude to you, it's about the shop staying afloat. Bikes
can run very close in geometry. For example, the Jamis Aurora and
Bianchi Volpe discussed in a thread yesterday are nearly
interchangeable in geometry--so the decision between the two can often
come down to tossing a coin or which color is preferable, as the
componentry is similar.

Sooo, get the specs on the bike you're interested in, then get sized
up on a bike with similar geometry at the shop to figure out your
size, then order your bike. I've ordered my last two new bikes sight
unseen, no stress---but I'm very confident in my size. ;-)

Old August 8th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rex Kerr

Tom Parker wrote:
They say they could order them, but only if I first put down a deposit
(e.g. 20%) and commit to purchasing them -- sight unseen! That's not
very customer-friendly, as I would certainly want to test ride the
bikes and also determine the proper size.

What's a prospective buyer to do?

I had the same problem since I wanted a touring bike in an uncommon size
(the largest I could get). I had to drive 2.5 hrs to Mike Jacoubowsky's
shop to find one in stock and ended up buying it from them.

Since I do all of my own maintenance and repairs I didn't mind losing
out on free tuneups and other such service -- that might be different
for you.

--
Work and recreation are not often effected at the same time.
One using a bicycle in business makes an exception to the rule.
Old August 8th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Tom Parker wrote:
I've been looking for a new bike, and my research on the web points me
to a few I might like (Specialized Sequoia Elite; Cannondale Touring
2) ... but none of the shops in my area (or even further out) carry
them.

They say they could order them, but only if I first put down a deposit
(e.g. 20%) and commit to purchasing them -- sight unseen! That's not
very customer-friendly, as I would certainly want to test ride the
bikes and also determine the proper size.

What's a prospective buyer to do?

That's one reason that I like REI for bicycles.

The REI Novara Randonee is a much better touring bicycle than the
Cannondale Touring 2, which should be avoided at all costs. If REI does
order a bicycle in a specific size and you don't like it then you can
return it. Instead of the Specialized Sequoia Elite, look at the Bianchi
Volpe, it's much better.

Some REI's do carry Cannondale, but with the changes at Cannondale they
wouldn't be something I'd choose.

The problem with smaller shops is that they don't want to get stuck with
a high-priced bicycle that will be difficult to sell to someone else if
you don't like it. This is understandable, but it puts the customer in a
difficult predicament.
Old August 8th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Parker

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 13:01:24 -0700, SMS
wrote:

Cannondale Touring 2, which should be avoided at all costs.

Why is that?

Instead of the Specialized Sequoia Elite, look at the Bianchi
Volpe, it's much better.

Yes, that one is also on my short list.

This is understandable, but it puts the customer in a
difficult predicament.

For sure.

- Tom
Old August 9th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

wrote:

Cannondale Touring 2, which should be avoided at all costs.

Why is that?

Touring bicycles should have Cromoly steel frames. Even Trek hasn't gone
over to the dark side, nor has Fuji, Surly, or REI.
Old August 9th 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rex Kerr

SMS wrote:
Touring bicycles should have Cromoly steel frames. Even Trek hasn't gone
over to the dark side, nor has Fuji, Surly, or REI.

I agree, though perhaps you're unfamiliar with the Trek 540. Apparently
they 'saw the light' though since they no longer make it.

Old August 9th 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Rex Kerr wrote:
SMS wrote:
Touring bicycles should have Cromoly steel frames. Even Trek hasn't
gone over to the dark side, nor has Fuji, Surly, or REI.

I agree, though perhaps you're unfamiliar with the Trek 540. Apparently
they 'saw the light' though since they no longer make it.

Yeah, I missed the 540. I guess it was an effort to drop the 520, since
the steel frame costs a lot more that the AL frame.

Koga-Miyata has a couple of AL touring bicycles too, though their top of
the line Randonneur is still steel. These aren't sold in the U.S.
(Sheldon's shop was selling them for a brief time).

I think my choice in a new touring bike would be the Novara Randonee.
It's better than the Trek 520, and with REI's periodic 15% or 20% off
one item sales it's a good deal. Most importantly, they back up their
products almost to a fault, and you don't have to go back to the store
where you bought it to get service.
Old August 9th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rex Kerr

SMS wrote:
I think my choice in a new touring bike would be the Novara Randonee.
It's better than the Trek 520, and with REI's periodic 15% or 20% off
one item sales it's a good deal. Most importantly, they back up their
products almost to a fault, and you don't have to go back to the store
where you bought it to get service.

STI brifters on a touring bike? Yuck. And I doubt that REI would
change those out, so you'd be stuck with them!