Rear facing camera.

Old October 15th 10, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Rear facing camera.

I have been toying with the idea of buying a rear facing camera for my
commute in case of a hit and run event. However, obviously the cheap ones
are low res and you are looking at 300 quid for a decent hi-res sports based
camera. For a couple of quid though you can buy a standard 35mm camera screw
mount which can then be attached to the bike. In this way you can get a 12
MP camera resolution for a few quid. On a test run it gives very good
coverage of following traffic.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/5528/pict0001gz.jpg

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4459/pict0003r.jpg

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/4294/pict0004g.jpg

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old October 15th 10, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 16:17:21 +0100, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

I have been toying with the idea of buying a rear facing camera for my
commute in case of a hit and run event.

I thought cycling was supposed to be very safe :-). Obviously the
camera you have is not weatherproof and I'd be somewhat surprised if
any consumer camera survived that vibration environment for any length
of time. It might be better to fit it on a bracket attached to the
saddle springs to ensure it has some vibration protection and is well
damped by the riders mass. Alternatively if you like the complex
approach try
http://www.instructables.com/id/Upda...ted-steadicam/

The tripod attachment is usually a coarse 1/4in Whitworth thread, I'd
be inclined to put a drop of low strength Loctite on it to prevent it
coming loose with vibration.

What sort of frame rate and resolution are you looking for?

Not sure how successful it would be but alternatively you could do as
I saw on a bike some time ago where the rider had got one of the large
external security camera boxes (this sort
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/22...amera_box.html ) and
modified it to act as a storage box/carrier. He mounted it above his
rear wheel and had pasted a picture of a security camera in the glass
window complete with working flashing LED light. On it he had a sign
saying "RECORDING". I never did find out how well it protected him.

Old October 15th 10, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

news
wrote:

I have been toying with the idea of buying a rear facing camera for my
commute in case of a hit and run event.

I thought cycling was supposed to be very safe :-). Obviously the
camera you have is not weatherproof and I'd be somewhat surprised if
any consumer camera survived that vibration environment for any length
of time.

I probably wouldn't use it in the wet as the lens would get obscured by
spray anyway.

The tripod attachment is usually a coarse 1/4in Whitworth thread, I'd
be inclined to put a drop of low strength Loctite on it to prevent it
coming loose with vibration.

I'd like to be able to remove the fitting though.

What sort of frame rate and resolution are you looking for?

It depends on what size card I have. I have ordered a 32 GB card which will
give 170 minutes at a setting of 1280x720 30fps. That gives a very good
quality video image.

Not sure how successful it would be but alternatively you could do as
I saw on a bike some time ago where the rider had got one of the large
external security camera boxes (this sort
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/22...amera_box.html ) and
modified it to act as a storage box/carrier. He mounted it above his
rear wheel and had pasted a picture of a security camera in the glass
window complete with working flashing LED light. On it he had a sign
saying "RECORDING". I never did find out how well it protected him.

Far too big I'm afraid!

I may end up with a rear facing saddle based mounting after some
experimenting.

Old October 15th 10, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
JMS

wrote:

I have been toying with the idea of buying a rear facing camera for my
commute in case of a hit and run event. However, obviously the cheap ones
are low res and you are looking at 300 quid for a decent hi-res sports based
camera. For a couple of quid though you can buy a standard 35mm camera screw
mount which can then be attached to the bike. In this way you can get a 12
MP camera resolution for a few quid. On a test run it gives very good
coverage of following traffic.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/5528/pict0001gz.jpg

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4459/pict0003r.jpg

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/4294/pict0004g.jpg

Oh dear, oh dear.

I think you must be suggesting that there must be a fair possibility
of someone running in to you on your commute to work.

Are you saying that it is dangerous?

I suppose if you are going to go to all that trouble - then it must
be.

Will this be one of the 20 cars you see on your commute every day - or
is it 35?

You will be able to look at the footage and count them when you get
home.

Don't forget you will also be able to refine your figures for 6 or 7
having a headlamp out on every journey.

--
Stopping distances for bicycles do not appear in the HC ... and so
cannot be of any consequence.

Old October 15th 10, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Halmyre[_3_]

In article , jmsmith2010
@live.co.uk says...

wrote:

I have been toying with the idea of buying a rear facing camera for my
commute in case of a hit and run event. However, obviously the cheap ones
are low res and you are looking at 300 quid for a decent hi-res sports based
camera. For a couple of quid though you can buy a standard 35mm camera screw
mount which can then be attached to the bike. In this way you can get a 12
MP camera resolution for a few quid. On a test run it gives very good
coverage of following traffic.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/5528/pict0001gz.jpg

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4459/pict0003r.jpg

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/4294/pict0004g.jpg

Oh dear, oh dear.

I think you must be suggesting that there must be a fair possibility
of someone running in to you on your commute to work.

He's obviously hoping to be taken from behind.

--
Halmyre

Old October 15th 10, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JMS

wrote:

I have been toying with the idea of buying a rear facing camera for my
commute in case of a hit and run event.

I thought cycling was supposed to be very safe :-). Obviously the
camera you have is not weatherproof and I'd be somewhat surprised if
any consumer camera survived that vibration environment for any length
of time.

I probably wouldn't use it in the wet as the lens would get obscured by
spray anyway.

So you won't use it when it is raining - when accidents are more
likely to happen.

Good value !!

You must be quite worried about being hit.

Do you think one of the 6 or 7 vehicle you see every day, on your way
to work, with a headlamp out may not see you from behind?

Did you say that you only saw about 20 vehicles on average on a
journey.

Now what's 6 or 7 out of 20 - that's quite a high percentage.

Are you sure that's right?

Old October 16th 10, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_3_]

Simon Mason wrote:
I have been toying with the idea of buying a rear facing camera for my
commute

Just buy a normal camera & stick it up your arse.

Many benifits; You might enjoy the eperience and it will show everyone how
full of **** you are.

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

Old October 16th 10, 07:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On 16 Oct, 01:50, Phil W Lee wrote:

I can recommend the Kodak Zx1 which can manage 720p resolution at
60fps and is available hehttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Kodak-Zx1-De.../dp/B001SN72TK
for £62.99.
In red or pink it's even less, at under £50.
You will need an SDHC card, and if you choose to record at 60fps it
will need to be at least class 6, but if you record at 30fps you can
manage with a class 4 card.
Pretty much anything will do if you record at VGA quality.

The camera comes with windows software, LSD NiMH AA batteries and
charger, USB2 cable, HDMI cable, composite video cable, and a bag to
keep it all in.
A pair of AA cells gives about 2 hours of recording, which needs
around 8GB of capacity on the card.

A quick search of YouTube will easily find examples of footage from
it, although it should be noted that YouTube compresses the hell out
of it, and the original quality is much better.

Cheers. I'll have a go with the Canon I've got first and see how that
goes.
I've got a 32 GB card now, so that is plenty big enough for the Kodak
if I get that instead.

--
Simon Mason

facing the traffic old laws TerryJ General 57 October 24th 09 06:11 AM
Facing the BB, HT and brake tabs Slack Mountain Biking 6 March 14th 07 03:26 AM
Facing tolerance for BB CEarly Techniques 3 November 6th 05 03:38 PM
What is facing a frame Me Techniques 26 November 17th 04 03:52 PM
Riding facing traffic Bruce G Patrick General 4 August 12th 03 08:11 AM