Quote of the day (from non-riders)

Old October 12th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sigve

Default Quote of the day (from non-riders)

MuniAddict;1112020 wrote:
Yesterday while I was riding up a steep section of the trail, a biker
coming down, stopped and asked:

"Are you going downhill too?"

Me: "At my age, it's _all_ downhill from here!"

haha that's a good answer xD not that it's true.. . ... well anyways

I was riding some trials and some guy came up to me, looked like a
druggy and I WAS RIGHT well he said
WOW, Thats one of those.. U.. ni.. cycles? (in norwegian of course) and
i said yea and he asked for a demonstration.. that was fun dont
ussually get a LOT of comments..

--
sigve

_*Sorry_for_my_english_it's_not_great,_but_I_work_ hard_to_get_it_better_
*_
Old October 12th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
1wheelwonder

Muni addict....... THAT WAS HILARIOUS!!!!

--
1wheelwonder

I AM the ninja unicyclist! KIIIAAAAIIIII!!!!

I'm in shape! ....... round is a shape....
Old October 13th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
critter

Cruisin' the big wheel through a botanical garden,
I see a guy I've rode by before. He sez:
"That's a lot like that stand up surfing".
( SUP- stand up paddle)
I say,
"Funny you mention it. That's the other thing I do the most of."
He sez:
''I have a friend who SUPs and it involves a lot of balance."
29118

The picture is an example of SUP and is not me. I like to catch waves
when I can.

|Filename: IMG_7080-1.JPG |

critter

MUni! The closest I'll ever get to bull riding!
Old November 23rd 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chuckaeronut

Out where I ride with the road bikers on Pacific Coast Highway over
here, people are impressively intelligent about how we ride our road
unis!

I hear people say "you need a bigger gear!" as they pass me when I'm
already spinning out in 54" mode, and I hear them say, "damn, no
freewheel, that's gotta be tough..."

Sometimes when I shift, people ask me how many gears I have, where I
got the hub, and how it can shiftable while still being fixed. I then
tell them that, yeah, only about 300ish of these exist, and only maybe
70 as beefy as this one, and they're all built by this awesome Swiss
German guy named Florian Schlumpf, and that if we could have a
freewheel, we'd all be running some form of those Rohloff 14-speed bike
hubs. So far, nobody's gotten that we shift with our heels, but when I
tell them, I don't get any double-takes. They just seem to understand!
And most people who comment on my hub notice that it's geared before
they ever see me actually use it.

The coach we all go to for help and advice has seen me ride on the back
of our spin group, and the first thing he said was that I needed longer
cranks and a higher gear ratio. He seemed to instantly know that the
reason I was running short (i.e. 150mm instead of 175) cranks is because
I didn't have a big enough gear. He said that if I keep consistently
riding above 120RPM on 150mm cranks, I should pay attention to any weird
pain, because going outside of that 80-100 RPM range for too long is
asking for leg trouble. I didn't mention to him that, before gears, we'd
cruise along at 150-180 RPM on 100mm cranks... :-P

One guy even said "wow, hydraulic brakes! you better be leaning back
hard to use those..." I then proceeded to respond with a kind of
holy-crap-I-can't-believe-you-just-said-something-that-awesome
expression, and said he nailed it!

I've also heard, "jeez, this wind must be hurting you a hell of a lot
more than it's hurting me...," which is, for the most part, true, but
what it also does is make the pack ride slower so that, even though I
have to put in more power than they do, I can do it at a slower RPM
because I'm stuck at 54". So if it's REALLY headwindy and I'm all
sugared up, it's easier to keep up by relying on power instead of spin.
(no matter how little actual power a 24mph spin may require due to draft
or tailwind or whatnot, we just can't sustain a 24mph spin on a 54" gear
ratio with sensible cranks for very long a time.)

Pretty much every time I go out, I w00t inside due to the ability of
the roadies on PCH to just kind of know enough about cycling and physics
to understand what pushing around a geared 36 entails.

--
chuckaeronut

Uni to work to eat to live to uni to work to...!
Old November 24th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
boisei

On my way back from Tucson, I sat next to a fit looking guy who was
reading some literature we got at the expo for El Tour De Tucson.
Figuring that he was a rider, I started a conversation. He was in the
top 1% of finishers, beat by 31 people. I was in the bottom 1%, beating
26 people. Often I imagine this would be a polite but short
conversation. Given that we were each at the top of our respective
games, though, it was a great conversation among athletes.

It was a great bridging moment. Not particularly quotable, but worth
sharing.

--
boisei
Old November 24th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

boisei;1136620 wrote:
On my way back from Tucson, I sat next to a fit looking guy who was
reading some literature we got at the expo for El Tour De Tucson.
Figuring that he was a rider, I started a conversation. He was in the
top 1% of finishers, beat by 31 people. I was in the bottom 1%, beating
26 people. Often I imagine this would be a polite but short
conversation. Given that we were each at the top of our respective
games, though, it was a great conversation among athletes.

It was a great bridging moment. Not particularly quotable, but worth
sharing.

Sounds like other than the tire incedent you had an awesome time on the
ride.

--
Ducttape

'-*buy my shirts*-'
(www.zazzle.com/ducttapesunicycle*)
'*watch my videos*'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ducttapesunicycle)
'*uniman comics*'
'*original thread for uniman*'
*'sigged quotes' (http://tinyurl.com/29b744)*
Old November 24th 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
boisei

Ducttape;1136625 wrote:
Sounds like other than the tire incedent you had an awesome time on the
ride.

Awesome time all around. The tire bit was a part of the grand
adventure.

But yes. I had a good ride. Would I have chosen some things to go
differently? Sure. But it was all a part of the adventure. There are
a lot of stories to tell from the day, but I did 111:11:1 with a
100:10:1 on the way.

--
boisei
Old November 24th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

boisei;1136636 wrote:
Awesome time all around. The tire bit was a part of the grand
adventure.

But yes. I had a good ride. Would I have chosen some things to go
differently? Sure. But it was all a part of the adventure. There are
a lot of stories to tell from the day, but I did 111:11:1 with a
100:10:1 on the way.

wow, once again I'm impressed. I think your tire/tube problems might
have something to do with running it over recommended PSI and possibly a
shifted rim strip or sharp spot in the rim. I don't think the flying
helped either. How'd the 36'er fair on the trip home? I'm still afraid
of uni transport in airplanes.

Old November 24th 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
boisei

Ducttape;1136649 wrote:
wow, once again I'm impressed. I think your tire/tube problems might
have something to do with running it over recommended PSI and possibly a
shifted rim strip or sharp spot in the rim. I don't think the flying
helped either. How'd the 36'er fair on the trip home? I'm still afraid
of uni transport in airplanes.

For it to be a problem with running over the recommended pressure, I
would have to be running over the recommended pressure. I was not and
never have. I blame the piece-o-sh*t tire that had been nothing but
troubles in the 6 months I had it, but I suppose that a more likely
culprit than the one you suggest (probability zero) is that the tube was
to blame. Oh, I got that from you :P

Max made some awesome crates for our unis. One would be hard pressed
to do them damage within the usual range of baggage handling abuse.
That said, I don't know how it fared on the way home. It's still in the
crate in my car.

--
boisei
Old November 24th 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

boisei;1136655 wrote:
For it to be a problem with running over the recommended pressure, I
would have to be running over the recommended pressure. I was not and
never have. I blame the piece-o-sh*t tire that had been nothing but
troubles in the 6 months I had it, but I suppose that a more likely
culprit than the one you suggest (probability zero) is that the tube was
to blame. Oh, I got that from you :P

Max made some awesome crates for our unis. One would be hard pressed
to do them damage within the usual range of baggage handling abuse.
That said, I don't know how it fared on the way home. It's still in the
crate in my car.

Oh, I didn't know you didn't run it over recommended pressure. I guess
I assumed it since it seems quite a few people do. That's cool about the
crates, I wouldn't blame the tube either because it wasn't just problems
with tubes I gave you haha.