Ride an SUB not an SUV

Old April 14th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Baxter

Default national hypocrisy

-
Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

"Curtis L. Russell" wrote in message
On 13 Apr 2007 11:27:43 -0700, "donquijote1954"
wrote:

As a matter of fact, windmills are a good solution --in some cases.

Windmills are a good supplement. In the U.S. with tax breaks and
setasides, even the oil companies are buying lots, but its a huge
investment and it doesn't add up to much as a percentage of the power
needed and in the windiest areas they aren't reliable enough to
support even a small grid on their own. Windmills are not a solution.

I guess you've never been to the Oregon Coast.

Old April 14th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
george conklin

Default Shoud there be a "freedom to pollute"?

"nash" wrote in message
"So defined, I repeat, freedom means concretely freedoms of various
kinds, which may be at least roughly specified. Among the most
fundamental is political freedom, involving some means of control of
rulers by the ruled, some protection of the individual against
government by legal rights or civil liberties."

,

and we all know how well that worked out. Sorry could not resist

Y'all need to read Hofstadter's book on the paranoid in American politics.
You are good examples.

Old April 14th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Amy Blankenship

Default promoting "smart growth"

-

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message

"Baxter" wrote in message
"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message

"Baxter" wrote in message
-
"Amy Blankenship" wrote in

message

"Baxter" wrote in message

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in
message

"Baxter" wrote in message
"Amy Blankenship" wrote in
message
.. .

"Baxter" wrote in message

Do stay on track - the issue is whether we spend hundreds
of
billions
of
dollars on Iraqi's or whether we spend a tenth of that on

our
own
people.

(and yes, there are reports that elections are not
particularly
fair
in
LA.)

Then why did you bring up your feeling that the people of
Louisiana
are
somehow downtrodden in a way that Mississippians aren't?

Your question is nonsensical.

Obviously you don't have an answer then.

No, your question is nonsensical in this context. Your question
might
be
more appropriate in context with the US Attorneys firings that
are
in
the
news.

I see you've learned one of George Conklin's less admirable
techniques...If
someone disagrees with you or questions you further, declare the
comment/question irrelevant, drivel, or nonsensical. Nice :-)

Then suppose you detail that relevance for us?

That's what I was asking you to do.

Let's see - you want *me* to explain the relelavance of *your*

response?!
That's the sort of thing Conklin does.

No, I want you to explain why you think your feeling that the people of

New
Orleans are somehow uniquely downtrodden has anything to do with the
topic
of this threat or even this forum as a whole. And as an aside, do you

have
any direct experience of the area that was hit by Katrina to base your
reaction on?

"Feeling that the people of New Orleans are somehow uniquely downtrodden"
are YOUR words - YOU explain them.

Well, you seem to think that there is something in national policy that is
holding back the New Orleans area, yet the Mississippi Gulf Coast is _not_
being held back. So, if that is not a function of _local_ leadership, the
logical conclusion is that you believe that there is a national policy that
somehow applies to New Orleans but not in Mississippi.

"Most of the people there CANNOT help themselves - the System has made sure
of that -- and Continues to make sure of that." as you said.

What is it about "the System" that is making sure the people of New Orleans
"CANNOT" help themselves, yet is not even remotely preventing the people of
Mississippi from helping themselves?

And, you never answered my question...have you ever actually *been* to the
storm-affected area, either before or after Katrina? If not, don't you
think the eye-witness account of an actual resident might have some sort of
weight?

Old April 14th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Amy Blankenship

"george conklin" wrote in message
link.net...

"nash" wrote in message
"So defined, I repeat, freedom means concretely freedoms of various
kinds, which may be at least roughly specified. Among the most
fundamental is political freedom, involving some means of control of
rulers by the ruled, some protection of the individual against
government by legal rights or civil liberties."

,

and we all know how well that worked out. Sorry could not resist

Y'all need to read Hofstadter's book on the paranoid in American politics.
You are good examples.

Just because people are paranoid does not mean the government is not out to
get them!

Old April 14th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default to start THE REVOLUTION

On Apr 13, 5:20 pm, "di" wrote:
"donquijote1954" wrote in message

ups.com...

"The terrorists who attacked America weren't being funded primarily by
drug money. They were being funded primarily by oil money. In other
words, it isn't the drug addicts who should feel guilty. It's the
gasoline addicts."

So where did this "oil money" come from? Before you answer, be careful,
you about to justify the Iraq War.

My understanding is that it went through Saudi hands, just as the
terrorists were Saudis. And WHO feeds the Saudis? That's right, our
administration and our SUV drivers.

Old April 14th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default Welcome to the Global Economy or Welcome to the Jungle?

""We don't want to pollute - but it's OK if China does - - - ""

Welcome to the Global Economy

It's not politics - - It's business

Remember supply and demand. How about we demand, and they supply. It's a new version of the NIMBY syndrome. We want (just for you) new bicycles, but don't be polluting our air to
make it for me.

You may as well may have given it the title "Welcome to the Jungle"...
which proves my point that we reject civilization in order to eat each
other --or may I say in order to compete unequally, where the unions --
American unions-- are crushed before the never tiring, never
complaining Chinese workers...

"What is the market? It is the law of the jungle, the law of nature.
And what is civilization? It is the struggle against nature."

http://www.federalreserve.gov/boardd...11/default.htm

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

Old April 15th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Curtis L. Russell

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 09:34:08 -0700, "Baxter"
wrote:

I guess you've never been to the Oregon Coast.

What power grid is supported solely by windmills? According to WSJ
sources, none in the U.S. - and in the windiest part of the U.S. on a
consistent basis - in the Southwest, not Oregon - even if the windmill
system is fully developed with state of the art technology, they can't
support a power grid on their own. That means that they may be a
useful or even a major adjunct, but they aren't a solution.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old April 15th 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Baxter

-

"Baxter" wrote in message

"Feeling that the people of New Orleans are somehow uniquely

downtrodden"
are YOUR words - YOU explain them.

Well, you seem to think that there is something in national policy that is
holding back the New Orleans area, yet the Mississippi Gulf Coast is _not_
being held back.

Your facts are wrong. Mississipi Coast is also in dire need of funds. They
are as bad off as New Orleans.

And, you never answered my question...have you ever actually *been* to the
storm-affected area, either before or after Katrina? If not, don't you
think the eye-witness account of an actual resident might have some sort

of
weight?

There's a lot of stories coming out of the area. What makes yours better
than the rest?

Old April 15th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
drydem

wrote:

As a matter of fact, windmills are a good solution --in some cases.

Windmills are a good supplement. In the U.S. with tax breaks and
setasides, even the oil companies are buying lots, but its a huge
investment and it doesn't add up to much as a percentage of the power
needed and in the windiest areas they aren't reliable enough to
support even a small grid on their own. Windmills are not a solution.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Has anybody looked at the current generation of high-tech (sic) windmills?
They are a joke, and bird killers to boot.
The best windmill designs were those that were in use in the 1930's when
the TVA project demanded that a farmer take down or disable his windmill
to get power to the farm. Obviously that would take enough electricity
to pay for running out the electricity so the farmer could have electric
lights. The new, 3 skinny blade windmills are a joke since 90% of the
air pass right through the gaps.
The intake vanes of a modern jet engine show how a windmill should be
designed, along with a feathering mechanism for windy days.
Too much thinking for the current crop of over-educated dimwits.
Bill Baka

The best hi tech windmills are from germany - they have
variable vane/airfoils that can adjust to the windspeed.
They are very tall structures and generate quite a bit of
power. Some environmentalist are worried that these
structures represent a danger to birds - I haven't come
across any scientific studies verifying this risk though.

The reason the blades/vanes are very thin is that this
design can structurally handle higher wind forces
and thus is more resistance to damage from high
winds. Lighter thinner blades require less wind
force to reach the minumum speed needed for
electric generation faster than if the windmill blades
were heavier and larger.

The intake vanes of a turbojet are designed to
runs at a different speed and different magnitude
of force than a windmill. There are similarities
in a turbojet's intake vanes and that of a
hydro electric generator's turbine. Nuclear
power plants that use hi pressure steam also
have electric generator turbines that look
similar to a turbojet's vanes.

Old April 15th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Amy Blankenship

-

"Baxter" wrote in message

[...]

Because I have direct experience of the area, and I'm in a position to
judge. Obviously you haven't actually experienced either area, either
before or after the storm. You shouldn't just swallow whatever the news
services choose to focus on, but should find out for yourself.

Besides, it's not just a "story." If the system really were keeping people
down and not _local_ leadership, how do you account for the variation in how
different localities have recovered?