Ride an SUB not an SUV

Old April 7th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default promoting "smart growth"

On Apr 7, 3:05 pm, "Baxter" wrote:

I get really tired of people talking about New Orleans like it's some sort
of failure of national policy. The problem in NO is local leadership and
the helpless mentality of the New Orleans residents who get media

attention.
Mississippi had it worse if anything (whole towns here were completely

wiped
off the map), but you don't hear people referring to us as a symptom of

some
sort of national malaise. And the reason why is that our leadership made
the decision that we would pick ourselves up by our bootstraps and get

back
to work, whether or not there was any aid at the federal level. New

Orleans
chose a different path--even worse, they chose to keep the mayor who'd
failed them so badly in power.

Why is it we can spend $100 Billion on building Iraq, but not $2 billion on
our own nation?-

Perhaps they are trying Smart Growth in Iraq. The forturnes of a few
are surely growing.

Old April 7th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

On Apr 7, 4:05 pm, "nash" wrote:
"Baxter" wrote in message

-
Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message

[...]

Bush has a guilty conscience-

You are assuming he has one. That's kind of optimistic, isn't it?

Old April 7th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
di

"Baxter" wrote in message
-
.

Why is it we can spend $100 Billion on building Iraq, but not $2 billion
on
our own nation?

Our own nation is not New Orleans, we already sunk millions into that place,
most of the people there are not willing to even help themselves.

Old April 8th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Matthew T. Russotto

In article ,
Tim McNamara wrote:

despair). I think cooperative housing is a better notion than
traditional apartment buildings. Personal investment and some type of
ownership of one's home encourage pro-social behavior.

The problem is that "pro-social behavior" ends up being defined as
"behaving as the tinpot dictators on the co-op board want you to
behave".
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old April 8th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Matthew T. Russotto

In article ,
Baxter wrote:

Why is it we can spend $100 Billion on building Iraq, but not $2 billion on
our own nation?

Be happy about that -- do you really want even 2% of the **** that's
going on in Iraq?

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old April 8th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Baxter

-
Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

"di" wrote in message

"Baxter" wrote in message
-
.

Why is it we can spend $100 Billion on building Iraq, but not $2 billion
on
our own nation?

Our own nation is not New Orleans,

New Oreans IS part of the United States.

we already sunk millions into that place,
most of the people there are not willing to even help themselves.

Most of the people there CANNOT help themselves - the System has made sure
of that -- and Continues to make sure of that.

Old April 8th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Baxter

-
Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

"Matthew T. Russotto" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
Baxter wrote:

Why is it we can spend $100 Billion on building Iraq, but not $2 billion

on
our own nation?

Be happy about that -- do you really want even 2% of the **** that's
going on in Iraq?

I want us OUT of Iraq, and building our OWN country.

Old April 8th 07, 07:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Pat

On Apr 6, 11:14 pm, "Amy Blankenship"
wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

donquijote1954 wrote:

You even find them in the environmental movement, feeding the hungry
children in Timbuktu and in the promotion of democracy for Iraq...

For example:

(this is serious)

'For the Bush administration, democracy promotion is not just a "made
in the U.S." venture, but a goal shared with many other countries. We
also seek to broaden our partnerships with local and global
nongovernmental organizations and international organizations, so that
we can work together on democracy promotion, advancement of human
rights, and humanitarian relief.'

No ****. Bush seems to think he can blow smoke up everybodies ass.
Other countries share the goal of not having to listen to American B.S.
We have no REAL partnerships because they will **** on us and change sides
as soon as it is to their advantage. 'Partner' is a word that is way
overused in business. Your 'partner' can switch overnight and put you out
of business. China is not a partner or friend but they love our money.
Democracy promotion is reserved for those with oil for us.
Advancement of human rights is just politician rhetoric.
Humanitarian relief means sending our money to a country that does not
appreciate it, all for a news byte, and while ignoring the problems at
home, like New Orleans, the homeless in OUR country, etc.

I get really tired of people talking about New Orleans like it's some sort
of failure of national policy. The problem in NO is local leadership and
the helpless mentality of the New Orleans residents who get media attention.
Mississippi had it worse if anything (whole towns here were completely wiped
off the map), but you don't hear people referring to us as a symptom of some
sort of national malaise. And the reason why is that our leadership made
the decision that we would pick ourselves up by our bootstraps and get back
to work, whether or not there was any aid at the federal level. New Orleans
chose a different path--even worse, they chose to keep the mayor who'd
failed them so badly in power.- Hide quoted text -

What I found the most fascinating about New Orleans was the fact that
Houston accepted so many people, so quickly, and had emergency plans
in place to handle a hurricane. Then I found out that the all of
those plans and "stuff" were in place to handle the evacuation of
Galveston and was done by, and paid for, by Galveston. I kept
thinking how wonderful it was that Galveston would "share", but I also
kept thinking "man, I hope Galveston doesn't get hit by a hurricane
and need the stuff".

Old April 8th 07, 01:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Clark F Morris

Default Iraq responsibility was promoting "smart growth"

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 19:28:46 -0700, "Baxter"
wrote:

-
Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

"Matthew T. Russotto" wrote in message
et...
In article ,
Baxter wrote:

Why is it we can spend $100 Billion on building Iraq, but not $2 billion

on
our own nation?

Be happy about that -- do you really want even 2% of the **** that's
going on in Iraq?

I want us OUT of Iraq, and building our OWN country.

After instituting regime change, the US took on a responsibility to
all those in Iraq who tried to make it work. While I am dubious about
the invasion and the reasoning behind it, it would be insane to leave
things open to something even worse than Sadaam for the people of
Iraq. It also would signal that it is not safe to ally with the
United States and that resisting them passively is safer.

Sadaam may well have had weapons of mass destruction or thought he had
but because Bush, Rumsfield and Cheney believed in invasion on the
budget plan and allowed looting of the ministries we will never know.
Rumsfield is Bush's Macnamara, another management droid who dismisses
the idea that the military might know something about war.
Old April 8th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Amy Blankenship

"Baxter" wrote in message
-
Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

"di" wrote in message

"Baxter" wrote in message
-
.

Why is it we can spend $100 Billion on building Iraq, but not $2
billion
on
our own nation?

Our own nation is not New Orleans,

New Oreans IS part of the United States.

we already sunk millions into that place,
most of the people there are not willing to even help themselves.

Most of the people there CANNOT help themselves - the System has made sure
of that -- and Continues to make sure of that.

So you're saying that the democratic process that would have allowed them to
elect a more helpful mayor was rigged?