Cheap Rack suggestions?

Old May 3rd 07, 06:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Cheap Rack suggestions?

I recently bought a 26' bike just for general transportation around my
college campus because I'm tired of walking. Can you guys suggest a
cheap but effective rear rack (or any other method) to transport my
backpack so I don't have to wear it while cycling? Thanks for the
help!

Old May 3rd 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DougC

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

The other alternative for a small backpack is maybe a front basket.
Which looks cute, too.

Cute is better.
You can keep an eye on stuff in the front basket, you don't need to
strap it down with netting and you still have a good chance of seeing it
fall out if you hit a bump.
~
Old May 3rd 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 3, 12:55 am, wrote:
I recently bought a 26' bike just for general transportation around my
college campus because I'm tired of walking. Can you guys suggest a
cheap but effective rear rack (or any other method) to transport my
backpack so I don't have to wear it while cycling? Thanks for the
help!

Here is a suggestion; you will probably hear a lot of whistles as you
ride by - J.

http://www.hembrow.eu/childsbikebasket.jpg

Old May 3rd 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

wrote in message
ps.com...
I recently bought a 26' bike just for general transportation around my
college campus because I'm tired of walking. Can you guys suggest a
cheap but effective rear rack (or any other method) to transport my
backpack so I don't have to wear it while cycling? Thanks for the
help!

Where are you? MEC has many cheapies under $20

Old May 4th 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
cmcanulty

Bike Nashbar has a great backpack that converts to a pannier
nashbar.com

Old May 4th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I've been researching it a bit more and I think I'll get...

This rack:
and This basket:

and I'll use a net or bungee cords to tie my backpack down to prevent
it from bouncing off.

Does anyone have any experience with those products?

My backpack is probably around 30lbs, so i don't think a front rack
would hold that too well (would it unbalance the bike?). Besides, I'm
a guy, so I'm not exactly going for the "cute" look.

Old May 4th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I've been researching it a bit more and I think I'll get...

This rack: http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Explore...016191-3555262
and This basket:
http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-MTX-Rea...016191-3555262

(Topeak Explorer Bike Rack with Spring and Topeak MTX Rear Bicycle

Old May 4th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Kruger

wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I've been researching it a bit more and I think I'll get...

This rack:
http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Explore...016191-3555262
and This basket:
http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-MTX-Rea...016191-3555262

(Topeak Explorer Bike Rack with Spring and Topeak MTX Rear Bicycle
Basket)

and I'll use a net or bungee cords to tie my backpack down to prevent
it from bouncing off.

Does anyone have any experience with those products?

My backpack is probably around 30lbs, so i don't think a front rack
would hold that too well (would it unbalance the bike?). Besides, I'm
a guy, so I'm not exactly going for the "cute" look.

I have two Topeak racks that have the "slide in and click" arrangement shown
on these products. I don't have the basket, but use a rack trunk. The
"slide in and click" works well and provides a nice anchorage. I've seen the
basket in my local bike shop and it looked well-made, but I didn't
investigate it very much. Be sure your backpack will fit.

For a backpack, I've been happiest with a rack and a milk crate tied on top.
The backpack just fits in the milk crate, and if you have a rough ride you
can just tie it down with elastic cord or even an old shoestring. It's
cheap, it's easy, and the dorkiness probably provides a bit of theft
deterrent. The milk crate comes up a bit higher than the basket.

One more thing: Bungees can be dangerous around racks, because if they
loosen the hook can go down into your spokes, which is not good.

--
Mike Kruger
An opinion should be the result of a thought, not a substitute for it.

Old May 4th 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jay - BFri Commuter

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I've been researching it a bit more and I think I'll get...

This rack:
http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Explore...016191-3555262
and This basket:
http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-MTX-Rea...016191-3555262

(Topeak Explorer Bike Rack with Spring and Topeak MTX Rear Bicycle
Basket)

and I'll use a net or bungee cords to tie my backpack down to prevent
it from bouncing off.

Does anyone have any experience with those products?

My backpack is probably around 30lbs, so i don't think a front rack
would hold that too well (would it unbalance the bike?). Besides, I'm
a guy, so I'm not exactly going for the "cute" look.

Hi Aegis,

OK...I guess you were not thrilled with my previous (classic) wicker basket
suggestion...

At my university campus bike racks, I see a few rectangular (cubical)
plastic milk crates tied down with bungee cords to a rear rack. I would
never, ever have such a jerry-rigged, unsightly, heavy system on my bike.
But depending on what one can find at garage sales, it might be your very
cheapest option. Only if you value your time at $0/hour, browsing garage
sales on weekends.

I like the Topeak quick release system
http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/di...tail-light.jpg . This pic is
obviously under-exposed, intentionally. I took this particular pic to show
how bright my taillight is, so of course I did not use the flash. My Topeak
trunk bag quickly slides on and off the matching Topeak rack. I often need
to get my trunk bag on/off the rack quickly, to make my next inter-modal
commuting connection. I can't be screwing around with bungee cords, as my
train pulls out of the station - J.