Should Cyclists Pack Guns?

Old May 1st 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
di

Default Should Cyclists Pack Guns?

Upon mentioning VA Tech, I have to put in my two cents, Cho was a wack
job, but personally I think the right to bear arm part of the
constitution needs to be re thought. In countries, such as the U.K.
where gun control laws are very strict, they don't have incidents like
those at the campus on Monday.

It's probably good they don't have guns, look at how many people already get
maimed and killed at their Soccer (Football) games without guns, with
weapons, it would be a slaughter.

Old May 1st 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Neil Brooks

On Tue, 1 May 2007 14:26:31 -0500, "Mike Young"
wrote:

On Apr 19, 11:51 am, Just A User wrote:
Upon mentioning VA Tech, I have to put in my two cents, Cho was a wack
job, but personally I think the right to bear arm part of the
constitution needs to be re thought. In countries, such as the U.K.
where gun control laws are very strict, they don't have incidents like
those at the campus on Monday.

It absolutely does not need to be "re thought". It chafes already that "the
right to bear arms shall not be infringed" somehow came to mean "you can
keep small arms if you don't overly frighten your neighbors".

Continuing the OT jaunt....

Here's the text of the 2d Amendment:

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free
State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be
infringed."

I tend to focus in on the words "well-regulated."

It isn't.

I also tend to think that ... maybe it was written at a different
time--perhaps a time when the Redcoats were coming (or had already
come).

Theoretically, they aren't coming now (all DUE respect to the Michigan
Militia, the Montana Freemen, and those who share their beliefs).

The evolution of the text that eventually led to the above version
clearly implies that the weapons were for a _collective_ defense
against a _common_ threat. I'm not sure that means individual liberty
or self-defense.

YMMV

Neil
God made man
Sam Colt made them equal
(err .. umm .....)
Old May 1st 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Dave Head

On 1 May 2007 11:53:51 -0700, evelyn wrote:

On Apr 19, 11:51 am, Just A User wrote:
Curtis L. Russell wrote:
On 19 Apr 2007 08:34:20 -0700, donquijote1954
wrote:

I guess we cyclists are too pacific for that (or just that we aren't
Republicans), but in light of all that violence out there, shouldn't
we rethink our strategy (everyone to himself) and get together to
launch a good nonviolent campaign?

I don't expect 'normal' from you, but don't you find this just a
little bit tasteless considering what just happened on the Virginia
Tech campus?

And using 'Republicans' must be your way to compensate for not being
able to actually make a complete, cogent thought on your own. I'm sure
there are some reflexive 'thinkers' such as yourself that will think
you made some point or another.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Upon mentioning VA Tech, I have to put in my two cents, Cho was a wack
job, but personally I think the right to bear arm part of the
constitution needs to be re thought. In countries, such as the U.K.
where gun control laws are very strict, they don't have incidents like
those at the campus on Monday.

Now as to cyclists packing heat, thats just extra weight I don't want to
carry around on my rides.

Ken- Hide quoted text -

Hi! I just read a couple of the items here...but I am a cyclist who
packs. I have a 38 revolver that fits right into a fanny pack that I
wear when I ride. I am a female and ride in rural areas by myself
(haven't found a riding partner yet!) and I will not be a woman who
goes out for a ride or a run and not come back. I am not concerned
with time or the extra weight that the gun adds. I would rather be
safe than sorry.
BUT....As I agree that I have the right to carry a gun, I don't agree
with owning the crazy machine guns, we don't need them, hunters don't
need them; the sole purpose is to kill.

What's your 38 for? Face it, some people just need killin'.

I do agree that it is too
easy to get guns in the US,

No, there aren't. Having too many guns is like having too much money - its
impossible.

and there are too many out there.

Too many for what?

Dave Head

Thanks,
Evelyn Ziennker-Lee
Virginia

You have all the rights that you're willing to fight for.
Old May 1st 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
Wayne Pein

Stephen! wrote:

Perhaps he was... but then again, the number of hours it took you
pedalestrians to read those few lines was that many more hours you weren't
out impeding the flow of traffic.

Quit your whining.

Bicyclists are traffic, and by definition don't impede it.

I've never been "impeded" by biyclists when I drive my car or
motorcycle, so why are you so inept that passing such a slow vehicle is
a problem?

Wayne

Old May 1st 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
Mike Young

"Wayne Pein" wrote in message
Stephen! wrote:

Perhaps he was... but then again, the number of hours it took you
pedalestrians to read those few lines was that many more hours you
weren't out impeding the flow of traffic.

Quit your whining.

Bicyclists are traffic, and by definition don't impede it.

I've never been "impeded" by biyclists when I drive my car or motorcycle,
so why are you so inept that passing such a slow vehicle is a problem?

By law in IL, bicyclists are entitled to the full width of the traffic lane.
Most of the time, especially in the city, they tend to hug the curb side of
the curb lane, allowing motorized traffic to go by. Every now and again,
though, a militant bunch or another blocks up the two lane suburban artery
roads here with their 15 mph asses. Traffic? Yeah, I suppose they are.
Special status in the law, however, shouldn't preclude courtesy and
consideration for others. Come to think of it, grown men wearing brightly
colored leotards have very little to say that might interest me.

Old May 2nd 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
Wayne Pein

Mike Young wrote:

By law in IL, bicyclists are entitled to the full width of the traffic
lane. Most of the time, especially in the city, they tend to hug the
curb side of the curb lane, allowing motorized traffic to go by.

How thoughtful of them. I don't suppose bicyclists get any credit in
your accounting scheme for that?

Of course, you should know that there is no advantage to riding near the
side of the road, only disadvantages like poor sight lines, less
conspicuity, and motorists trying to squeeze by when its unsafe to do so.

But I guess if motorists are allowed to pass and you are a motorist its
all good for you.

Every
now and again, though, a militant bunch or another blocks up the two
lane suburban artery roads here with their 15 mph asses.

What makes you think they are militant rather than merely exercising
their right to use the lane? And why don't you pass in the oncoming
lane? Oh I know, its full of other motorists.

Traffic? Yeah,
I suppose they are. Special status in the law, however, shouldn't
preclude courtesy and consideration for others.

No special status. Just status.

According to your logic, although bicyclists are entitled to use of the
full lane like other road users, they must be "courteous" and allow you
to use it for passing them. If they don't, then they are militant.

Come to think of it,
grown men wearing brightly colored leotards have very little to say that
might interest me.

Why would they want to talk to you? You're a selfish, illogical lout who
doesn't ride a bike unless it has a mechanical engine and who doesn't
have the sense to understand that hi viz clothing is useful.

Wayne

Old May 2nd 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
Mike Young

"Wayne Pein" wrote in message
Mike Young wrote:

By law in IL, bicyclists are entitled to the full width of the traffic
lane. Most of the time, especially in the city, they tend to hug the curb
side of the curb lane, allowing motorized traffic to go by.

How thoughtful of them. I don't suppose bicyclists get any credit in your
accounting scheme for that?

I'm one of them, or at least, was until I moved to the 'burbs. Credit? For
what? Sharing the road? Keep your award, Sonny.

Of course, you should know that there is no advantage to riding near the
side of the road, only disadvantages like poor sight lines, less
conspicuity, and motorists trying to squeeze by when its unsafe to do so.

Sure. All that. And trash, gravel, leaves, and car doors, too. I'm happier
there. Motorists don't have to squeeze by. It's better this way; safer this
way. But you already know all that, and can't be told anything.

But I guess if motorists are allowed to pass and you are a motorist its
all good for you.

Every
now and again, though, a militant bunch or another blocks up the two lane
suburban artery roads here with their 15 mph asses.

What makes you think they are militant rather than merely exercising their
right to use the lane? And why don't you pass in the oncoming lane? Oh I
know, its full of other motorists.

You tell me. You're one of them. Am I right?

Traffic? Yeah,
I suppose they are. Special status in the law, however, shouldn't
preclude courtesy and consideration for others.

No special status. Just status.

Special status. Capital 'S'. Little school bus special. The only other
unlicensed vehicles granted that use are farm implements, and then only with
restrictions.

According to your logic, although bicyclists are entitled to use of the
full lane like other road users, they must be "courteous" and allow you to
use it for passing them. If they don't, then they are militant.

According to my logic, when I'm doing 15 in a 40 with traffic queuing behind
me, I should find someplace to pull over and help them pass, no matter what
I'm riding or driving.

Come to think of it,
grown men wearing brightly colored leotards have very little to say that
might interest me.

Why would they want to talk to you? You're a selfish, illogical lout who
doesn't ride a bike unless it has a mechanical engine and who doesn't have
the sense to understand that hi viz clothing is useful.

I like 'em skintight myself. I feel so... so visible.

Old May 2nd 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
evelyn

wrote:

[...]

What's your 38 for? Face it, some people just need killin'. You are stupid...yea, I carry my gun so that I can shoot people when I'm out riding my bike! Yep, thats me.

Again, you are an idiot. I carry my legal gun (I have passed all the
requirements for carring it) so that I am protected. You must know
that there are rapist and murderers everywhere and I would use my gun
for protection. I am not going out for a bike ride and looking to
shoot someone!

I do agree that it is too
easy to get guns in the US,

No, there aren't. Having too many guns is like having too much money - its
impossible.

and there are too many out there.

Too many for what? Too many that it is too easy for criminals to get weapons and use them on INNOCENT people. DUH!

Dave Head

Thanks,
Evelyn Ziennker-Lee
Virginia

You have all the rights that you're willing to fight for.- Hide quoted text -

Old May 2nd 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
evelyn

On May 2, 12:55 am, "Stephen!" wrote:
evelyn wrote oups.com:

Hi! I just read a couple of the items here...but I am a cyclist who
packs. I have a 38 revolver that fits right into a fanny pack that I
wear when I ride.

..and have never practiced drawing and firing it while riding yer
bike... Wow... So intimidating. Are you a jerk off? Why are you so angry...i just made some comments...And yea, My 38 is intimidating...again, why are you a jerk?

BUT....As I agree that I have the right to carry a gun, I don't agree
with owning the crazy machine guns, we don't need them, hunters don't
need them; the sole purpose is to kill.

As opposed to yer .38 snub nose which was designed for making rainbow
colored farts. Apparently it's okay if to ristrict *other's* rights
so long as yours aren't infringed... Nice try, loser... you don't even know me and your calling me a loser? your a f** loser you idiot. I'm not trying to restrict others, i just posted some comments....you are such an ass.

I do agree that it is too easy to get guns in the US, and there are
too many out there.

You are right. Let's start by melting down yours. kiss mine.

and who are you again? oh yea, some losser who gets off bloggin and
calling other people names...great job, i would love to be you!

--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465http://imagesdesavions.com

Old May 2nd 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles

On May 2, 8:46 am, evelyn wrote:
You must know
that there are rapist and murderers everywhere ...

Doggone! You're right! I just found three of them hiding under my
computer desk!

and I would use my gun for protection.

Again - so many fearful people in this country. It's kind of sad.

I recall, decades ago, being on a backpacking trip with my wife and
young son, hiking the Appalachian Trail for a week. One night, we
camped near a couple guys and spent some time talking.

Turns out, despite tricks like cutting his toothbrush in half to save
a few grams, one of the guys proudly showed us that he was carrying a
revolver. He made it clear that it wasn't for snakes or bears. He
was afraid of other people.

I assume a guy like that would never get up the nerve to camp in, say,
the Lake District of England, where he wouldn't be allowed to have his
gun.

Again, sad. Such a climate of fear!

- Frank Krygowski

Car Hits Pack of Cyclists in St. Pete Rodney Kuehl Recumbent Biking 40 February 24th 07 02:20 AM
Back pack for cyclists scouselad General 18 June 28th 05 01:39 PM
guns and bikes byron27 Australia 1 October 7th 04 11:35 PM
guns and bikes byron27 Australia 9 October 7th 04 01:21 AM
" 400mph cyclists kill opponents with handlebar-mounted guns " Gawnsoft UK 4 March 11th 04 12:56 AM