Brand new broken Schlumpf

Old November 26th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
capuni

Default Brand new broken Schlumpf

I was just getting ready to go out for my 6th guni ride when I noticed a
squiggly piece of metal hanging off my hub. Upon close inspection, I
noticed visible ball bearings and then I began to weep. My brand new
Schlumpf appears to be out of commission and I've only had it for a
week. I still need to write to Florian, but here are some pictures.
Was hoping others might be able to provide some insight.

|Filename: IMG_9464.jpg |

capuni

My 'Ride The Lobster Photo Album'
(http://gallery.mac.com/perrywoodin#100208)
Old November 26th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

capuni;1138746 wrote:
Was hoping others might be able to provide some insight.

Not sure what insight I can offer... but it looks to me like it's
borked

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
Old November 26th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
osmundo

I really feel for you. The expense and anticipation of getting these
GUNIs setup is immense and to have it break down after 6th ride is truly
a bummer. I hope you get things resolved quickly. I wrote KH when I
was having a problem with mine and he was way more responsive than
florian. Good luck.

--
osmundo
Old November 26th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

i think something happened where your crank/framebearing might have
carved off a peice of metal off the side of the bearing. Maybe your
frame has a sharp inner edge that could have caused it?

thats what i thought..

but man that sucks, hope you get it all solved out.

--
unibikeling

"-I'll learn the landing once i do the takeoff-" - me

'Sixsixone - Great gear for all riding!' (sixsixone.com)-'My Videos'
(http://www.youtube.com/user/lardmcfatso)

Sprite Off Winner 08~
Old November 26th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
capuni

Is it safe to assume I hold the record for the fastest hub break? I
built the wheel on the 20th and it was done for by the 24th.

Old November 26th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hungry4uni

It seems like every day there is a new Schlumpf problem thread.

Are they really that bad? Do they break that easily?

--
hungry4uni

*ŤŔϊãĻş
ЦИΪĈҰĆĻέ*
Old November 26th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dangerdog

looks like the bearing cage,it holds the ball bearings at even spaces
around the bearing,unusual to have that fault but my guess is it's an
easy fix if the bearing surfaces are not scratched or gouged.You have
only had it for a week ...thats got to hurt.

--
dangerdog

once I was young and stupid....that was some time ago
Old November 26th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
capuni

unibikeling;1138772 wrote:
i think something happened where your crank/framebearing might have
carved off a peice of metal off the side of the bearing. Maybe your
frame has a sharp inner edge that could have caused it?

I just took another look and there doesn't appear to be anything that
would have carved off any metal.

Anyone have a close-up picture of the knurled side of their hub I could
see?

Old November 26th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
capuni

dangerdog;1138776 wrote:
looks like the bearing cage,it holds the ball bearings at even spaces
around the bearing,unusual to have that fault but my guess is it's an
easy fix if the bearing surfaces are not scratched or gouged.You have
only had it for a week ...thats got to hurt.

I think you got it! The top photo must be the bearing cage.

Totally bummed because I was going to do a mt. bike race on it this
weekend.

Old November 26th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

hungry4uni;1138774 wrote:
It seems like every day there is a new Schlumpf problem thread.

Are they really that bad? Do they break that easily?

A Schlumpf hub adds a high degree of mechanical complexity to what was
previously a simple system. That complexity is located right in the
place where the strongest forces are applied. You have to be prepared
for the hub to be a little finicky, and a lot more prone to failure than
other unicycle hubs.

--
tholub