Genetic engineering

Old October 7th 03, 09:25 AM
cfsmtb

Default Genetic engineering

Last Wednesday (1/10) was a dreary, rain soaked day. After doing a lap
of Yarra Blvd, I rather unwisely decided to pedal down Heidelberg Rd. I
approached the Hoddle St off ramp with some nervousness, although the
on-road bike lane has been marked in orange.

I kept pedalling along, with 2 rear lights on, silently praying that the
heavy traffic turning left would take notice of me keeping a straight
line towards Queens Pde.

My brave steed & I reached the middle of the bikelane across the
offramp. Sensing some relief, I heard the traffic turning behind us.

Until a *!$ing B-double decided to turn left in front of us. Luckily we
decreased speed & avoided being flipped by the rear trailer. I was more
****ed off than scared. If by some chance I could of confronted the
driver, my reaction would of been extremely unladylike. Bloody fool
placed him/(her?)self, other road users & me in danger.

Anyway, later on I cheered myself up with the thought of genetic
engineering. Foreign Correspondent (ABC) had a story on Alaskan fishing,
which included fascinating info about the Halibut. Read on: "A halibut's
life begins in an upright position, with one eye on each side of the
head, but during the first six months of a it's life, a halibut goes
through an unusual change. The fish's form begins to flatten, and its
left eye migrates to its right side. At this time a halibut begins to
swim flat on its side along the ocean bottom."

Just maybe this could be perfected for crappy conditions on Heidy
Rd, like being able to rapidly move one or both eyes to the back of
your head.

Failing that, it looks like someone in local government has heard
numerous cyclists prayers, & are going to take appropriate action. Ah,
there is a god:

Two-wheel deal sealed Page 27 – Melb. Yarra Leader, Oct 6th, 2003 A
bicycle lane in Clifton Hill will be completed as a part of a $4
million-plus State Government commitment to bicycle projects this
financial year.

Richmond State Labor MP Richard Wynne said $98,000 would be used to
create a safe bicycle connection from the end of the existing bicycle
lanes on Hoddle Street at the Heidelberg Rd off-ramp to Queens Parade.

Signs to draw attention to cyclists would also be installed.

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

Old October 7th 03, 06:30 PM
Al User

Sorry to hear it.
Did you see the name of the company on the truck?
A phone call to their Head office may get some response.

See you at RTW at fed square

Old October 8th 03, 12:07 PM
hippy

"cfsmtb" wrote in message
Two-wheel deal sealed Page 27 - Melb. Yarra Leader, Oct 6th, 2003 A
bicycle lane in Clifton Hill will be completed as a part of a $4
million-plus State Government commitment to bicycle projects this
financial year.

The company I work for got a letter the other day about
a bunch of bike lane changes that are part of some city-
wide bike lane network (I can't remember the acronym
for it). The changes are happening around Hawthorn.
If anyone is interested in the details (and I mean REALLY
interested!) I can re-type it here. I think it said something
about the plans being available in Hawthorn's Council
building?

hippy

Old October 9th 03, 09:31 AM
cfsmtb

Go right ahead, got a url or useful link?

Might check the BV page as well.

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

Old October 10th 03, 12:25 AM
hippy

"cfsmtb" wrote in message
Go right ahead, got a url or useful link?

Try this:
http://www.boroondara.vic.gov.au/you...asp?PageID=230

Not much change for my ride, just some more "Wide Curbside
bike lane" which, looking at the existing stuff, is just some
intermittent white lines along the road. More use for drivers
to make sure they are parked straight than cyclists! :-P

hippy