Bicyling in Reno, NV?

Old March 16th 04, 08:22 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Bicyling in Reno, NV?

Tom: Are you going to have a car available? There are some great places to
ride if you can get out of town a bit (and it's not such a huge town that
riding out of it is that big a deal). If you like mountains, there are many
options, including heading out towards Virginia City. Just keep in mind
that it can get pretty hot out there, and it's very much out in the open.
You could also ride over 431 to Lake Tahoe (in the shadow of Mt. Rose).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Tom Young" wrote in message
om...
Hi all:

My wife has booked us for two nights in the downtown Reno area. (The
last time we visited she hit some sizable jackpots on the slots right
before we had to leave - the very *best* time to win - so she's
conviced she can do it again.) However, I've just started training
for my first ever century ride and plan to take my bike on the trip.
Can anyone suggest some training routes in and around the Reno area?
The terrain isn't too important, I'd just like to get some miles in
(40 - 50) on some roads where I'm not fighting huge amounts of auto
traffic and where I'm not too likely to get completely lost.

Some general directions in this regard - I can supplement with
MapQuest - would be deeply appreciated.

TIA.

Tom Young

Old March 16th 04, 11:11 AM
Raoul Duke

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
. com...
Tom: Are you going to have a car available? There are some great places

ride if you can get out of town a bit (and it's not such a huge town that
riding out of it is that big a deal). If you like mountains, there are

many
options, including heading out towards Virginia City. Just keep in mind
that it can get pretty hot out there, and it's very much out in the open.
You could also ride over 431 to Lake Tahoe (in the shadow of Mt. Rose).

Hi Tom,

I live in Carson City, which is about 30 miles south of Reno, so I don't do
a whole lot riding in the area, but I would suggest you get in touch with
the Reno Wheelmen. http://renowheelmen.org/ I'm sure they could suggest
some pretty nice rides in the area.

There are also some pretty good LBS's in Reno which could also suggest some
good local rides. http://www.greatbasinbicycles.com/ Great Basin Cycles is
a pretty good shop.

It's a great area with hundred of miles of good riding. Hope you have fun.

Dave