Crank brothers mallet pedals?

Old May 11th 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

Default Crank brothers mallet pedals?

In article ,
Dane Buson writes:
Tom Keats wrote:
Patrick Lamb writes:

It looks like the mallet pedals, with their larger platform, might be a
good way to go -- the benefits of clipless pedals; walkable shoes, I
think; some free float; and a platform in case I forget the shoes when
packing.

Anybody tried them? Are my catalog fantasy points anywhere near right?

If you like, you could invest $20 or so in a pair of
nondescript VP 196 flatties, and see where that
takes ya. No cleats, no clips. Just plain flatties
that do the trick pretty good for what they are.

Bah, I didn't evolve all this extra cash in my wallet to ride plebian
old flat pedals that *anyone* could use.

If you really want cleated pedals that are do-able as
platforms, IMO nothing beats the old Shimano 636's.

I do *lurve* these pedals. I picked up a used pair last time I hit
Firehouse bicycles in Philadelphia and have been commuting exclusively
on them for quite a while. I think one of my favorite things is even
when I miss clipping in or bounce out of the pedal on a bad landing/bump
I still have plenty of platform to hold on to.

After some consideration, I think Patrick's onto something
with these Mallet Cs. Especially if the cages are wide enough.

While I still harbour a fondness for 636s (largely because of
their width,) I'm earnestly prepared to admit they're overkill
for infra-urban riding.

And the Mallets seem to have more grippily textured cages
than the slippery smooth metal surfaces of 636s. Of course
that texture might mean the cleat receivers of Mallets would
have to be substantially raised by spings, and I wonder if/how
that affects foot comfort in the long run (long ride?) in
softer-soled shoes, while using the pedals as flatties.

I guess with hard shoe soles, having things trying to prod
the soles of yer feet shouldn't be too much of a problem.

But with softer soled shoes, I wouldn't be surprised if it
became an issue. I guess that's the gist of what Patrick is
inquiring about. I wish I had a solid answer for him.

I can attest that 636s are very lenient toward softer soled shoes.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old May 20th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Tom Keats wrote:
Dane Buson writes:

I do *lurve* these pedals. I picked up a used pair last time I hit
Firehouse bicycles in Philadelphia and have been commuting exclusively
on them for quite a while. I think one of my favorite things is even
when I miss clipping in or bounce out of the pedal on a bad landing/bump
I still have plenty of platform to hold on to.

After some consideration, I think Patrick's onto something
with these Mallet Cs. Especially if the cages are wide enough.

While I still harbour a fondness for 636s (largely because of
their width,) I'm earnestly prepared to admit they're overkill
for infra-urban riding.

Pshaw, t'aint no such thing as overkill. In fact this conversation has
made me start looking for some for sale. That or the 646s, which seem
similar enough to be worth buying. Plus, if I have more than one pair I
can take the time to sand and repaint the cages on them.

I'll have to see what color frame I get back from the shop before I
paint them though. I wouldn't want them not to match.

--
Dane Buson -
"If you attack stupidity you attack an entrenched interest
Old May 20th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Booker Bense[_2_]

In article , Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,

And the Mallets seem to have more grippily textured cages
than the slippery smooth metal surfaces of 636s. Of course
that texture might mean the cleat receivers of Mallets would
have to be substantially raised by spings, and I wonder if/how
that affects foot comfort in the long run (long ride?) in
softer-soled shoes, while using the pedals as flatties.

I guess with hard shoe soles, having things trying to prod
the soles of yer feet shouldn't be too much of a problem.

But with softer soled shoes, I wouldn't be surprised if it
became an issue. I guess that's the gist of what Patrick is
inquiring about. I wish I had a solid answer for him.

I have Mallets and it's definitely an issue if the shoes
are soft and thin. (ie. typical casual shoes you might
wear at work). Anything with a sufficiently lugged
sole is fine (ie. trail running shoe). I can't imagine
doing a long ride on the kind of shoes that would be a
problem though.

_ Booker C. Bense