mounting a rack

Old February 22nd 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default mounting a rack

in the collective wisdom of the group, should a rear rack be mounted
level, or slightly tilted forward? If the latter, what's a good angle?

Does anyone sell loose mounting hardware for racks, or if the hardware
supplied for a commercial rack is unsuitable, am I on my own for fabbing
new bits? (referring to the straps between the front of the rack and
the downtube.)

Reason I ask is I just bought a rack for my bike in preparation for
spring (I *will* turn my bike into practical transportation) and in the
course of mounting it, found that the only way I could mount it with the
supplied hardware and not bending/stressing anything was tilted slightly
forward, which seems right to me, but I'm wondering how far I can get
away with without putting too much load on the straps (it appears that
it is designed so that most of the load goes down the vertical members
to the dropouts) I *am* a compulsive reader, so it is not inconceivable
that I might make a trip to/from the library with a milk crate full of
books strapped to the rack...

Next, for ultra-freddy goodness, I'll be looking at fenders...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old February 23rd 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Racks and mudguards are so varied in their mounting from one bike to
another there are no rules. Suppliers for both products include
'typical' hardware. Your LBS should be able to swap for longer stays as
needed. There's no functional reason it can't be canted as long as it
doesn't bother you aesthetically. Make sure nothing fouls the brakes.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old February 23rd 09, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

A Muzi wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

was just curious if there was a convention. I've seen them both ways.
Seems to me it should be *more* level than it is, but I can't do it with
the hardware supplied. I suspect making my own stays from pieces of
aluminum angle is probably the most elegant/easiest solution. the
actual problem I have is that there are long and short stays included
with the rack, but the short ones are too short and the long ones are
waaaaay too long. (I really need ones about 1/2" longer than the short
ones.)

Will leave it as is for now and if I get real ambitious that'll be an
easy rainy-day project.

nate

Old February 23rd 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Feb 22, 6:00*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
in the collective wisdom of the group, should a rear rack be mounted
level, or slightly tilted forward? *If the latter, what's a good angle?

Does anyone sell loose mounting hardware for racks, or if the hardware
supplied for a commercial rack is unsuitable, am I on my own for fabbing
new bits? *(referring to the straps between the front of the rack and
the downtube.)

(a) Level.

(b) Yes.

MEC, for one (www.mec.ca), sells lots of little fiddley bits for
racks. Their selection includes those extra-long stays you're looking
for, plus p-clamps, nuts'n'bolts, U-bolts, and other interesting
little things.
Old February 23rd 09, 08:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

FWIW, I make rack mounting straps and even p-clips out of perforated strip as
used in fitting out small sailboats. See here
http://www.ronstan.com/marine/range.asp?RnID=113

RF39A. It's at least as thick as the stuff that comes with racks and is made of
316 s/s. At your nearest yacht chandler.

PH

Old February 23rd 09, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Feb 22, 10:33 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Feb 22, 10:03 pm, landotter wrote:

On Feb 22, 5:00 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

Actually, putting a rack and fenders on your bike properly makes it
look less dooshy--like a vehicle instead of a toy. Fredliness is a
different thing altogether. GPS and gimbal mounted beer holders are
skirting fredliness, as are flippy flags and bunz type saddles. Stuff
like permanently mounted lighting isn't fredly--it's just Euro-cool.
However, if you run white bar tape with a white saddle, then you skirt
the fence between Euro pro and Euro trash. Comprende?

Racks must be level. This is a rule. There is an exception: if you
have a front rack with a basket on it, regardless of whether it's
wood, wicker, or wire--you may angle it up. Angled up rear racks are a
travesty, a distant relation to trunk lid spoilers on Civics. Don't do
it!

Excellent post!

I nominate landotter for the position of New Style Man, as an immense
improvement over Buycycling magazine's thankfully-departed dude.

I'm full of opinion if anyone needs more! For example: if you must
have a bottle cage on a citi scoot, which in itself is a bit fredly,
use only the vertical mount and leave the downtube classically free.
Why? Because it looks better, and you're also going to be tempted to
carry coffee at some point, and it'll slosh on your legs less.

Old February 23rd 09, 02:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Feb 22, 11:00 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
On Feb 22, 11:00 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

A rack should be mounted level. At any other angle it will look like
it is for show and be of less use than a rack mounted level. -- AJ

Yes, damn the poseurs who skulk around with their rakish racks,
aimlessly and load free.

Old February 23rd 09, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben C

On 2009-02-23, A Muzi wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Or your feet. I fitted mine perfectly horizontally for maximum aesthetic
effect, tightened it up good with plenty of linseed, and then tried to
ride off: thump thump thump.

I eventually managed to get a setup that worked with it tilted it back a
bit.

YMMV, depends on the size of the rack. This was a "one-size-fits-all"
but it's a bit on the small side. The longer the arms at the side, the
further back it will be when horizontal.
Old February 23rd 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Feb 23, 2:49*pm, landotter wrote:
[...]

I carry a racktop bag permanently on my rack. If only the poseurs who
come out once a month in the summer and then behave as if fresh air is
a poison gas would fit racks! Then they they wouldn't be able to say
to me, "Would you mind if I put my water in your bag. Ooh, and there's
space for my toolkit and spare tyre too."

Being a utility bike poseur (with a rack at a rakish angle) somehow
defeats the purpose... "I'd haul the shopping on my bike for my wife,
if only there were time left over from posing in the coffee shop with
my Dutch City Bike parked outside."

On a more serious note, I shudder each time I see someone slip a
multitool into the pocket on the back of his jersey. That thing will
do his vertebrae no good if he falls on it.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Thisthatandtheother
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20ARISING.html

Old February 24th 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

ALL RACKS WILL BE MOUNTED TILTED FORWAD
ALLOWING FOR RAINWATER DRAINAGE INTO THE FOOT AND CHAINRING FRONT
DERAILLEUR AREAS.
WILLFULL VIOLATION OF SAID PRECEPT WILL ENCUR WRATH.

RACKS WILL NOT USE LONG LEGGED U BOLTS RUN THRU ALUMINU ANGLES BOLTED
TO PLWOOD ATTACHED ONTO THE STANDARD RUN OF SUBUSABLE OFF THE SHELF
GARBAGE.

ADRECTIVE FRUM AVAGADRO V